Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Have you seen It (ST XI)? What did you think? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Have you seen It (ST XI)? What did you think?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short of flying to another country or sneaking on to a US base, I won't be seeing the new Star Trek movie until it opens in Japan on May 29.

So, if you've seen it, what did you think?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shameless self-link (contains spoilers) http://fleetyard.net/2009/05/star-trek-review/

In essence.. I really enjoyed the movie. For me at least, the visual and 'treknological' changes don't really detract from the movie.

Certainly in the movie itself, it's much more about characters and story than about treknobabble and starships.

I'm curious what the opinion is of people that already sort of hated the movie for changing the Enterprise and not staying close to TOS. Did you go and see it anyway? Did you change your mind?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it last night and it was really quite good. Much more accessible than any ov the previous entries but not as action focused and the trailers might have you believe. The cast all play their parts very well, surprisingly so in some cases.
The effects are unlike anything seen in star trek before, they have more of a feel of Moore's BSG by way of Ridley Scott.
As for continuity...well if works fine so long as you can buy the basic premise but be prepared for a drastically altered status quo. Oh and there's one "Enterprise" reference that got quite a good laugh out of the audience.
Oh and while the "new" ship design never really bothered me, I think it works much better than I thought it would and there are a few shots that make it really feel like it could be a "real" ship.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to like it, and went along with some pretty good expectations.

As a sci-fi action flick it was pretty good. But as a Star Trek flick I left feeling a little disappointed. I guess there's just too much TOS lore in my head [Frown]

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'
Blue387
Member # 2157

- posted      Profile for Blue387     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got out.

Starfleet has no ships in hailing range of Earth? What is this madness?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw it last night. I really enjoyed it. There were a few instances of belief-suspension involved, but then they wouldn't have been able to tell a satisfying story without it.

There was much humor and poking fun/homages to the old show, and IMHO, every single instance was funny and not stomach-churning. Karl Urban gets my vote for best impersonation of the original character. His McCoy was absolutely perfect.

I think the best scenes were between Spock and Sarek. This was not the strained relationship of Nimoy/Lenard, but an entirely new positive father/son relationship. It worked extremely well.

Bruce Greenwood was also terrific as Captain Pike. Uhura was developed more in this movie than all three TOS years and six movies combined. Simon Pegg's Scotty was very funny, although James Doohan, while admittedly good for a few laughs, was never as amusing as Pegg's take on the character. But Nero had to be the best. His character was literally an everyman who suddenly has lost everything and now has nothing to lose, so he's turned into a maniac. No over-the-top goofiness as with Shinzon.

One last note: I think the Countdown comics, while meant to "bridge the gap" between TNG and this movie, really should be taken with a grain of salt. AAMOF, after seeing the movie, the comics almost downplay it.

quote:
Starfleet has no ships in hailing range of Earth? What is this madness?
Wow, dude. That's all you have to say about this movie?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it today -- loved it. I'll probably go see a matinee again tomorrow, and I'm going to write a very lengthy blog post shortly.

I figured this out in my head: this movie actually takes place about the time of "The Cage" in the "real" time-line, doesn't it?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone catch the reference to Admiral Archer?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Porthos [Frown]

I loved loved loved the movie. It works, it makes Trek "legit", and isn't necessarily a reboot. Everything pre-Kirk in existing canon still happened. Enterprise, the Botany Bay, Cochrane, First Contact...

I think this timeline is closer to what TOS is to Next Gen then the original TOS.

Seeing it again soon. I want to make an MSD in the style of this film of the Enterprise and Kelvin.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

That had to've been a long-lived dog [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a care with the spoilers guys, Masao still hasn't seen it yet!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither have I!
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about spoiling me. I've heard pretty much everything. I can't help being curious.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I saw it last night. I liked it. I liked it a lot. I can easily overlook the small things that may not fit in "properly" with the established timeline, but in the movie, they even come right out and say that it's an alternate timeline. THe VFX were quite good too. One thing that doesn't bother me, and that I quite like-even though it seems a bit out of place, is how engineering now looks. It's a mess of boilers, pipes, valves, and even a Willy-Wonka and the Chocolate Factory-esque water pipe system that gets used for some pretty good laughs. It's certainly different... [Smile]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps