Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Have you seen It (ST XI)? What did you think? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Have you seen It (ST XI)? What did you think?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Camped out for it. First in line. Loved so much about it. Thought the real genius of it was how deftly they sidestepped the canon problem and prebooted the series. Totally loved how everything looked. I did feel like there were some problems with how convoluted the story was and specifically in developing Nero. In some ways it felt like a collection of scenes and not one cohesive whole. But MANOMAN was it fun and pretty. I really enjoyed it. Had been religiously avoiding spoilers. Very excited to finally be able to come back to Flare.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
d/p n/m

Spock on Uhura? WTF?

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it yesterday, and I must say I was disappointed. While the effects were good, the "reboot" wasn't too contrived and didn't bother me, and I was impressed by the way some of the "new" actors interpreted their roles...honestly I just found the plot to be too formulaic and like I was just watching any standard action movie. It just felt to me I was watching another rendition of "standard bad guy has super weapon and threatens to destroy everyone, but is stopped at the last moment by the good guys". No doubt it will do well at the box office and will make a lot of money, but I just feel it could have been any movie and honestly if it didn't have the Star Trek label on it I'd probably not have bothered going to see it.
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it last night.

My inner fangirl is still basking in the afterglow.

There are a couple things I found really jarring, and the camera work made me dizzy at several points, but other than that, A++++++++ would (and will, because my dad hasn't seen it) view again!

And I didn't realize until the movie actually ended how much my enjoyment of the movie was based on them not pressing a reset button.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Blue387
Member # 2157

- posted      Profile for Blue387     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow, dude. That's all you have to say about this movie? [/QB]
When I wrote that, I just got out of the movie and couldn't really come up with something more articulate.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw it.

First:
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulNebula:
Saw it last night.

My inner fangirl is still basking in the afterglow.

Too right! I was so surprised that I liked it - 80%, maybe more.

Second:
And I didn't realize until the movie actually ended how much my enjoyment of the movie was based on them not pressing a reset button.

That was the one thing that made it for me. I'd've been pissed if they had pressed the big Mysterious Red Button (Copyright, Krenim).

The baddie was good, if a little underused. The plot was fantastic, even the bits where whole chunks of Trek (i.e. no more Vulcan) were (litteraly) ripped to shreds were cool. A red-shirt got killed in a realy cool and unexpeted way (if you hadn't all ready read the spoilers).

The crew was different (expected that), Chekov was somewhat more than a glorified extra (that was Uhura here, so no real change - oh and Spock was an unexpected twist there! WTF! One of the few bit's I didn't like TBH).

Prime Spock realy made the whole thing legit to the fan in me. NuSpock was a bit emotional. The girl I went to see it with even said that. She's not a Trek fan by a long way but she really enjoyed the film too, so it's good for "lay-people".

Erm, what else? Enginering set sucked - realy not right in my eyes. I pretended it was the one in the saucer or something, I dunno. I liked Pine as Kirk, Quinto was ok, Urbane was McCoy. Pegg was ok, but he's not Scotty really. I liked the Russian guy, Yelchin, the Korean playing Sulu fella was ok, but a bit of an extra. I felt Uhura could have been left out and I'd not notice. Bruce Greenwood (or whatever his name is, Captain Pike) was good, but he usualy is. I liked Eric Banna as Nero. His henchman was better than Ron Pearlman was in "YOU-KNOW-WHICH-FILM".

Oh, the music was pretty crap. Just didn't like it. I actualy noticed it at several points in the film, jaring with the action, and that should never happen. The music suports the film, sets the scene, but should never be noticed explicitly IMO. The credits made me laugh (looked like 3rd rock from the sun with a bad version of the Trek theme), and the ending was a bit cornball (would also have liked some time to pass before Kirk was made skipper - c'est la vie).

So, yeah, I liked it, despite all of my doubts. Good film. OK Star Trek. Not my Star Trek, but I can accept that, thanks to actual good writing - like Nimmoy, I liked the scrpit.

Go see it is my verdict Masso. You'll probably have the same gripes as most of us, but it's worth seeing nonetheless I think.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and that opening pan over the Kelvin?

Wow.

I turned to my friend and actualy said that and at the same time she did exactly the same thing. That good.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally saw it today. The theater was packed, considering it was only 11am. I ended up having to sit in the second row.

Overall I really liked it.

I liked the uniforms. I'm not sure why at the academy they wore those black uniforms. But I liked the redesign of TOS uniforms. Especially using all those tiny arrowheads to give the shirt a nice look. Pike's uniform at the end was a good nod to TMP.

I wish they showed more of the other ships a little more. Engineering was interesting. I know it gets a lot of criticism for it's overly industrial look compared to the rest of the ship. It's actually not too different from a real ship's engineering.

The warp effect reminded me of a mix of BSG. It almost seemed instant.

If I did have to list my dislikes. So the Enterprise was built in Iowa? And there were a bunch of cadets there because... Promotion in Starfleet seems fast. Spock was already a commander, Pike told Kirk he could have his own ship after 4 years. How the hell was Chekov a bridge officer at 17 years old? Chain of command be damned, apparently a cadet can be made "acting" captain. Not to mention being made a full captain before even graduating the academy.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering, is there anything after the credits?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but the final card reads: IN MEMORY OF GENE RODDENBERRY AND MAJEL BARRET RODDENBERRY.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel like I went to see 1998's Lost in Space again.

More at the blog, but that about sums it up. Fun, but largely meaningless after the Kelvin scene and the boy Spock stuff.

And the lens flares have to go.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All in all I would say it was a fun movie but didn't really seem like 'Star Trek'. The two characters I did not buy as 'youthful versions' were Spock and Uhura. My wife REALLY thought Quinto sucked but then again she still sees him as Sylar. Urban was absolutely fantastic in channeling McCoy. Pine seemed to really pin a testosterone driven young Kirk and Pegg did a fine job as Scotty. I loved his line about the Enterprise "I'd like to get my hands on HER ample nacelles".

I also felt that a LOT of the interior space just did NOT make sense in any way. It is still a ship and space is a premium so to have all those open 2-3 story spaces with NADA just didn't work. The turbolift also seemed to be too instantaneous. As for the "Narada", being a simple mining vessel that looked like someone glued a bunch of Frost Cutlery fantasy knives together, please. I wish the dingleberry model makers would actually design with SOME semblance of USE for a vessel.

Perhaps I'm wrong but in one shot of the Kelvin, I coulda swore I saw Wil Wheaton at a com station. Or it could have been the really bad Milk Duds I was eating.

I think it was a fun movie. I would watch it again, but I just didn't feel the 'love' for it like TOS. It really DID seem to have a "Lost In Space" feel to it in many places.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the acting and character interaction was great, as were the special effects, but man is that plot full of holes.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
All the acting and character interaction was great, as were the special effects, but man is that plot full of holes.

Such as?
  • If Spock-Prime had succeeded in imploding the Romulan sun, how does that SAVE Romulus since it no longer has a sun?
  • Trans-warp beaming from a planet to a starship that is LONG gone?
  • "Fate" just HAPPENS to bring the entire regulars together and immediately puts them in their accepted positions?
  • Where the $#&*(#)@ is Daniels and the other Temporal agents?
  • Just how many shuttles did the Kelvin HAVE?
  • Sylar-Spock just happens to drop Kirk a few hundred meters from where Nero dropped Spock-Prime off?
  • Just WHY would S-P have that HUGE amount of 'Red Matter' in his squid-ship? How many stars was he planning on imploding?
  • Just what was Nero doing for the 25 years that it took for S-P to appear through the vortex? That's a long time without resupply.
  • Just how far IS Vulcan from Earth that they can warp there in minutes?
  • Can you see S-P going, "Now there's this one race called "The Borg" and here's some weapons to fight them with."

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Also: How did Nero know when Spock Prime would be coming through? Why did Spock drop Kirk off on Delta Vega (!) instead of just putting him in the brig? What the hell is with these "black holes" that apparently swallow one discrete stellar object and then disappear? Stuff like that.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps