Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Have you seen It (ST XI)? What did you think? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Have you seen It (ST XI)? What did you think?
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have my qualms with some of the plot points but it was a generally entertaining film that does a lot more Star Trek beyond just the film. It's been over 10 years since our beloved Trek has been a mainstream piece of entertainment, and this is will renew interest.

Anyway, for my critique :

Design - I'm not crazy about the new Enterprise look. The deflective is a little too far forward and the nacels feel bulky. Unlike others in this thread, I loved some of the new set design. The viewscreen felt like it had actual purpose and the engineering/water treatment centre felt like they actually were part of a functioning ship.

We all love the big room with a few console and a warp core design from the previous entries, but I think this felt more appropriate to the film.

Characters - Everyone was spot on with their 60's incarnations before they matured into the roll. Nero was underused, he felt a lot like General Chang, but now as well defined. Bones and Kirk were funny together.

Story - The water is a little murky here. Sending off a crew full of cadets to defend the planet seemed strange, but then again it did happen in TWOK. I liked the sweeping changes to the Star Trek universe, but the whole black whole/Romulus set up felt weird.

Overall, I still loved it.

Kirk had sex with a green woman, a Redshirt got killed and the Enterprise set sail into the sunset with Leonard Nimoy giving the ST Mantra at the end.

Par for the course.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how long until the obligatory not quite finished, buggy, and generally poorly made video game comes out? Some small part of me hopes that the new movie will reinvigorate the Star Trek games franchise, especially after the abortion that was Legacy, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
All the acting and character interaction was great, as were the special effects, but man is that plot full of holes.

Such as?
  • If Spock-Prime had succeeded in imploding the Romulan sun, how does that SAVE Romulus since it no longer has a sun?
  • Trans-warp beaming from a planet to a starship that is LONG gone?
  • "Fate" just HAPPENS to bring the entire regulars together and immediately puts them in their accepted positions?
  • Where the $#&*(#)@ is Daniels and the other Temporal agents?
  • Just how many shuttles did the Kelvin HAVE?
  • Sylar-Spock just happens to drop Kirk a few hundred meters from where Nero dropped Spock-Prime off?
  • Just WHY would S-P have that HUGE amount of 'Red Matter' in his squid-ship? How many stars was he planning on imploding?
  • Just what was Nero doing for the 25 years that it took for S-P to appear through the vortex? That's a long time without resupply.
  • Just how far IS Vulcan from Earth that they can warp there in minutes?
  • Can you see S-P going, "Now there's this one race called "The Borg" and here's some weapons to fight them with."

• It was not the Romulan sun, it was the Hobus Star. The star had unique properties in which its Super Nova would convert mass into energy, producing a domino effect which could wipe out a good portion of the entire galaxy.
  • The Enterprise could have still been in-system if for whatever reason it was traveling at a low warp factor. This would line up with what Scotty had said was possible.
  • Fate & destiny were a huge part of this film's plot. I think the writers conveyed that pretty clearly, but there is even a deleted scene that spells it out for you: Spock Prime stipulates that the timeline is 'healing' itself (i read this in an interview with Bob Orci, forgot which one). Not to mention that Spock Prime gave Spock a push in the right direction, as did Pike give Kirk.
  • Daniels, the 29th Century Temporal Starfleet protect thier own timeline. This movie uses an alternate timeline theroy which doesnt jive well with what's been used in trek before, but fits our current understanding of science much more closely. Think Back To The Future -- while Spock Prime is now stuck in this new timeline, the original TNG timeline continues with the Hobus star halted and Romulus and Remus now wiped out. This story continues in the Star Trek Online game.
  • From the small part we saw of the shuttle bay, plenty. They were stacked and parked in rows in multiple levels.
  • It's not really known if Spock Prime was dropped off elsewhere and eventually found that cave, or how large Delta Vega was. I know it's a stretch but some consessions need to be made for movie's sake.
  • I belive this was Vulcan's entire supply of Red Matter.
  • He was captured by Klingons and sent to Rura Penthe. He served some time there, and it is here where he loses part of his ear (presumably in his escape or in a prison fight). He destroyed 47 Klingon Warbirds on his way out. The details of where his crew and ship were in this time are unknown. Perhaps with the Romulans of this era?
  • I don't think they arrived in minutes. Remember, Kirk was knocked out flat cold when they were on the way, it could be therorized that the drilling process could have taken hours or even days, and Kirk was simply out for that amount of time. The passage of time wasn't very apparent here. Also Checkov could have not made the ship wide transmission about the details of thier mission until hours into the trip at maximum Warp.
  • I think his primary concern is rebuilding the Vulcan people. He had no issues giving Scotty the equasion for in-warp beaming, but he knew Scotty would be the one to invent it anyway. I see him sharing info where logical.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I just saw it, it was excellent. I loved the Fed ship designs, though their appearance was brief. The klingon ships stuck closely to the good ol' D7/K'tinga design. The New E doesn't make me forget the classic one, though stands well enough on its own. Wasn't too crazy about the Spock/Uhura relationship, sinced it seemed to appear out of nowhere. I too liked Pike's uniform at the end. Hopefully those silly TMP red uniforms won't come to fruition in this universe [Wink] Also the position of Delta Vega really stretched credibility. Unless it's one of Vulcan's moons (which apparently shouldn't have any), I don't see how Prime Spock could see...well you know. Overall, it was definitely more accessible, but not dumbed down like the trailers and commercials would have you believe. And Urban's McCoy was awesome, though I was left surprised by the reason TPTB gave for his curmudgeony behavior.

Bring on ST XII: The Search for Porthos

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they'll take a shot at that ridiculous transporter episode on Enterprise and have Porthos show up in a doggy wheelchair.

As for continuity, there's no reason Archer couldn't actually show up either as the President or as an old man in this since the cast is relatively young at this point. Kirk is like what, 25?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whose to say it's necessarily Jonathan Archer. Maybe its his son or grandson who also has a pet dog.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My other question is, in the JJ-verse, do all Romulans have tats all over their bodies? If it had been Nero that would have been one thing. But all the Rommies had shaved heads and tats.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the tie-in comic that the tattoos are a sign of mourning, traditionally done in paint, but Nero and crew decided to make it permanent.

EDIT: Also, why assume it's a son or grandson? IIRC, Scotty didn't specify gender.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that's what it says. There's a good synopsis of the comics at memory alpha. What were they? "Star Trek Countdown" I think.

EDIT: From the comics, Nero tells us:

"There was a tradition on Romulus that when a loved one died you would paint your grief upon your skin. Ancient symbols of love and loss. In time the paint would fade, and with it the period of mourning. Life would go on. We paint these symbols on our skin now. But we burn them deep. So that they will never fade. Because life does not go on. We died with our friends. We died with our families. We died with Romulus. And all that is left is revenge."

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally saw it, and like almost everyone else, I enjoyed it.

Beyond the usual expected complaints about Kirk-falling-off-a-cliff and the moderately excessive lens flares, only one annoyance sticks out in my mind. No, two annoyances.

1) <morbo>BLACK HOLES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!</morbo> Where was the time dilation?
2) Warp cores? Plural? Huh?

Beyond this, everyone's said pretty much everything already on my mind. McCoy was right on, Kirk doesn't quite feel right yet, etc.

At this point, I can't wait for the BluRay disc, so we can begin geeking out over the other ships. It's First Contact all over again, yay!

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
My other question is, in the JJ-verse, do all Romulans have tats all over their bodies? If it had been Nero that would have been one thing. But all the Rommies had shaved heads and tats.

As it was mentioned, they tattooed in mourning. His wife had hair and no tattoos.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
<morbo>BLACK HOLES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!</morbo>

This keeps ringing in my ears. Fantastically funny. Also perhaps best criticism I've heard of this movie yet.

Watched it again today with my Dad as part of his convalescence. Of course, we did have all day and so went up and watched it in IMAX. Wow! All that detail. Yeah. Bit overwhelming really. (Those subtle focus problems in the extreme closeups become VERY apparent in IMAX.) Sounded great though. And, wow. Loving that bridge stuff. All textures are very texture-y in IMAX.

So that was my 3rd time seeing it and I still really like the movie. There's some problems, to be sure, but I really really enjoyed it. So did my Dad (who had watched the original TOS run.)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Yes I too saw it in IMAX, and it looked fantastic! Especially the ships!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see it in real IMAX, or fake IMAX?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Well it was called Star Trek: The IMAX Experience.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps