Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Have you seen It (ST XI)? What did you think? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Have you seen It (ST XI)? What did you think?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the captain of the Kelvin believes in good grooming, that threw us off.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, no, I spotted him. I would have been happier, I think, if he was the villain, but... *shrug*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I held off coming here to see reactions because I know this is probably the most anal Trek board I visit (not a bad thing in itself, guys). If anyone was going to be sensetive to the minutiae without a thought for the overall experience it was going to be people here. And yet, overall, the reaction is positive! Wonders never cease, JJ must have done something right after all.

Overall I liked the movie, very entertaining with enough nods to the fans without it becoming distracting to non-fans and without Kirk turning into Zapp Brannigan. My likes and dislikes, in no particular order...

Liked
McCoy, overall CGI effects, the revamped designs of old favourites, 2 x Spock, hot Uhura & green chick, red shirt bites it on away mission, Kirk slouching in chair, alternate timeline get-out clause, classic music at end.

Disliked
Kirk starts and ends an arrogant dick and least resembles the original, reliance on coincidence of cosmic proportions, standard Romulan mining vessels are humungous nightmarish ships with incredible armament.

Honorable mention has to go to Pegg as Scotty, for not making a complete hash of the accent. As a Scotsman, hearing a fake Scots accent does my head in and stands out a mile. Pegg wasn't half bad, although he'd get a kicking in a pub if he tried it here.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
I held off coming here to see reactions because I know this is probably the most anal Trek board I visit (not a bad thing in itself, guys).

Really? I find this board to be a lot nicer than Trekbbs.

Of course, that doesn't keep me from going to Trekbbs.

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I saw him on 24 once too a few years ago.

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really didn't like Engineering on the Enteprise.

All those industrial vats... full of what?

The Star Trek Engineering sets have always been fantastic sets - I think the pinnacle may have been in First Contact... but the Engineering set or lack of one in Star Trek XI was a disappointment.

I also really liked Karl Urban's work as McCoy. It was just... right! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All those industrial vats... full of what?
I assume it had something to do with deuterium, or the bulk of the ship's water recycling is all piped through to the engineering hull.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given where those scenes were shot, they're full of beer.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's no wonder Scotty liked the ship... [Big Grin]
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ HerbShrump - I didn't mean the people on the board were assholes, the TrekBBS could win there, but that more minute nitpicking/disecting/categorising goes on here.

The engineering set was a bit of a shocker, particularly if you've ever seen the awful film Space Mutiny (MST3K'd a while back) which appeared to be filmed entirely in a brewery too.

I think they were trying to go more retro than the last films, but swung a little too far south of the TNG style sets which were basically computer centers with a nice lava lamp in the middle. A middle ground between the two would have been more believable, with lots of computers controlling lots of reactants and liquid stores, etc. I'm also not a fan of huge open spaces in spacecraft, where space and weight would no doubt be at a premium. It's good to build in room for new tech and some growth, but not by leaving massive gaps.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Herb Sewell
Member # 2163

- posted      Profile for Herb Sewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a word, the movie sucked. I'm still shocked with how many fans are duped into liking it, or thinking that it was a Star Trek movie.

Apparently the reboot is todays Hollywood, and apparently dropping random references to popular elements of Star Trek was enough to appease "fans". sad.

Poop on Abrams.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2-post newbie wrote:
quote:
In a word, the movie sucked. I'm still shocked with how many fans are duped into liking it, or thinking that it was a Star Trek movie.

Apparently the reboot is todays Hollywood, and apparently dropping random references to popular elements of Star Trek was enough to appease "fans". sad.

Poop on Abrams.

Q.E.D, Axeman 3D.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When people make extremely general, usually baseless comments like this, without any sort of argument to back it up, the post is usually ignored, or at best ridiculed. Welcome to Flare. Now, if you want to give specific, well-thought-out reasons why you feel this way, like Mighty Monkey of Mim did, we'd pay more attention to you.

quote:
Apparently you know nothing of how Hollywood works. Hollywood "reboots" things all the time, and they've been doing it ever since they came into existence. And there were hardly "random references" dropped in this movie. If you want random references, go watch the first three seasons of ENTERPRISE.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to engineering sets: The problem is they built such a lovely bridge set - the engineering set - the second most important set just came up as... well... crap. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
Member # 205

Yes everyone says so, then again you can look at it from a producer's point of view: how many scenes and total stagetime was spent in engineering? Compared to the bridge (with Kelvin bridge scenes added, as they probably used the same one)?
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps