Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Identifying the Federation Council Members from ST:IV

Author Topic: Identifying the Federation Council Members from ST:IV
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, from my long perusals of both tape and print media, a-hem, watching TVH and reading The Art of ST - can i or we put down a race listing of the members of the ST:IV federation council?

OK
Bald Andorian
Hair Andorian

Tellarite (next to hair andorian)

Mazzarite - OK, the guys with the breathing apparatii although, wouldn't it be cool if they were breen.

OK, someone once speculated the bald men shouting BRAVO! were Deltans? like Illia from TMP?

Anyone else can piece together anything?

some Serious looking 'vulcanoid' women - I am assuming these distinguished ladies to be Romulans, they seem to agree with the Klingons about James Kirk, although as someone else pointed out maybe they were not as 'friendly' as Sarek?

ok can anyone else piece to gether this puzzle?

Andrew

------------------
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
irrevocably." Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - The Drumhead

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ST4 video has been missing for a while, but from what I remember, you've hit most of them.

[Spoilers]

A Breen was seen in a DS9 episode in the 5th season. It had the mask that Leia wore in Return of the Jedi, and some robes. Speaking of reusing aliens, in one of the episodes of B5 with Koeing, you can see several Borg (yes, I said Borg) in the background.

[This message was edited by Federation Shipmaster on March 15, 1999.]

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, people. It won'tlet me put in a half page of blank space for some reason. CC, help us!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it doesn't let you do more than a couple blank lines. Normally, people will do something like type a single period on each line...

Now, as for ST4, weren't there some people w/ big, spherical, plastic heads?

And, why would there be Rommies on the Federation Council?

------------------
"Look into any eyes you find by you; you can see clear to another day..."
-The Grateful Dead, "Box of Rain"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Breen.

Actually, it could be debated whether that was actually a "real" council meeting or not. I mean, there hardly seemed like there were enough delegates there, assuming two from each member world. It's possible that this was more like a grand jury, weighing the evidence the Klingon ambassador was presenting.

It is also possible that the meeting wasn't strictly a Federation one, but a gathering of UFP allies whom the Klingons were trying to pressure into supporting their position. If it was a full blown council meeting, I would think Sarek would have been there from the beginning.

(Of course, that raises the question of what exactly council members are called. The only people we ever hear about are ambassadors. Sarek, for instance. But you wouldn't have ambassadors inside of such a union. California doesn't send an ambassador to D.C., for instance. I use the U.S. as a reference not just because I live there, but because the Federation, from all the available evidence, is a far stronger union then the United Nations, for instance, or the European Union.)

------------------
"I'll be the sky above the Ganges
I'll be the vast and stormy sea.
I'll be the lights that guide you inward.
I'll be the visions you will see."
--
R.E.M.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Federation definitely looks stronger than the United Nations, but you have to realize the Federation is somewhat based on the United Nations. 150 member planets in the UFP and 150 member nations in the UN. And every nation sends an ambassador to the UN.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...but...I addressed that. Besides, most of the UFP/UN comparison comes from Franz Joseph using the UN Charter as the UFP one, changing the word international to interstellar when appropriate, and so on.

------------------
"I'll be the sky above the Ganges
I'll be the vast and stormy sea.
I'll be the lights that guide you inward.
I'll be the visions you will see."
--
R.E.M.

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FASA put out a Star Trek IV sourcebook about 10+ years ago. Most of the information in it is not cannon but it does contain quite a few pictures of the various aliens present in the council room. I'll have to pull it out and see if I can hunt someone down with a scanner to scan them in.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://members.aol.com/captaincks/readyroom.html

"The man on the top walks a lonly path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like the comparison of UN and UFP. The UN is nothing but a more or less forced forum for countries with opposite ideas of human rights, democracy and peace. I believe that the current structure of the UN even supports the mutual resentments. I don't think that a world government will ever evolve from the UN.

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps