Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$ Consequences of the movie on the original Trek universe [Spoilers] (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: $$ Consequences of the movie on the original Trek universe [Spoilers]
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
+1

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I noticed with Chekov...I was watching "Who Mourns for Adonais?" today, in which he tells Kirk he is 22 years old. Given the episode is set in 2267, this implies that for whatever reason this "new" Chekov (who was 17 in 2258) was born four-years earlier than his primeverse counterpart. Not really all that significant in the grand scheme of things, but does make one wonder what has changed in his parent's life.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PW has seen this movie (a boot leg, of course).

The PW enjoyed this movie, greatly. even the NuEnt is functional and enjoyable.

only thing i bitched about is how open the engineering sections seemed. the ugly, smelly, loud NOT fucking crystal clean, that was cool and more seeming possible. it just seemed so open. like a few good holes in the hull should kill the crew sorta view. there wasnt a sence of hull compartmentalization (you didnt get that feel in TOS either but TWOK, yeah, you did)

if they had did what they did visually with more compression of walls... then dead on.

still it was eye candy and i enjoyed it, bithcing and all (pass the popcorn)

...Did they ever say what class of type of ship Kelvin was (honest to god Saladin nod to JF?

and Nero and crew... they were civilians, right? (why theire ship looks so shitty, because its a comerical mining vessel and not Romulan miliary?

it sorta explains why Nero is so flipant to Pike (Hello, Christopher)...

*waves* Me is back (yes! you're fucked! [Big Grin] )

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You were gone?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A commercial mining vessel that can destroy entire fleets in minutes.

yeah.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

It's called a plot hole, Jason. It happens.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um....you do know we obsess about things like that here, dont you?

Recall all the venom towards Nemesis about how the Remans could not have possibly built the Scimitar in secret....that was a plot hole.

This is just bad writing.

There. I said it.
The movie is Trek dumbed-down for a broader audience.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Member # 1203

so..... when do we start seeing books for Nutrek?

and has the disertations from STO even mention the lack of Romulus/Remus now?

or did they even bother to tell them sods so now their game might not even be 'canon' since in postNem times, the romulans are the endangered species...

right?

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
and has the disertations from STO even mention the lack of Romulus/Remus now?

or did they even bother to tell them sods so now their game might not even be 'canon' since in postNem times, the romulans are the endangered species...

right?

Star Trek Online's The Path to 2409

They're up to 2390, three years after the supernova. Suffice it to say, yes, they've been dealing with the Romulus issue.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Teh PW
Member # 1203

*drools* They been busy... even have lots of fluff for thier ships *thwap thwap thwap*

wasn't the forge something from ENT? the ship with all those folks brain-hooked?

nah, my bad (The forge was vulcan episode)

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a problem with the Narada being abnormally well-armed for the 24th Century, even . . . after all, a mining ship could probably use some asteroid-busting, highly penetrative missiles.

But I don't think she could take even a midsize Federation ship of the TNG era.

(Hell . . . given the low ranges and low weapon velocities seen in this movie, I don't think she could take a Danube, even. (I'm not even really sure the Narada has a transporter.))

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, there was a lot of shuttle transferring...

This could have all been averted if baldy had said his ship was a heavily modified mining freighter.

Then again, the Defiant could have been a simple tugboat all along.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to take into account that the Narada was only up against 150-year-old ships and defenses in the film. As G2k said, there's no way of knowing how it would fare against its contemporaries.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
You have to take into account that the Narada was only up against 150-year-old ships and defenses in the film. As G2k said, there's no way of knowing how it would fare against its contemporaries.

Now whether or not STO's outlines are cannon or not, they imply that Nero supersized his ship prior to the blackhole encounter (which is a big pill of shit excuse in itself). just to suffice, that even a civilian ship could beat the shit outta ships 200 years older than it (just to say how big a leap in tech TNG is to TOS or ST90210).
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Narada was outfitted with Tal Shiar's reverse engineered Borg technology. Consider the comic non-canon or canon, but its the closest to the official explanation you'll get.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps