Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$ Consequences of the movie on the original Trek universe [Spoilers] (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: $$ Consequences of the movie on the original Trek universe [Spoilers]
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wes:
the Narada was outfitted with Tal Shiar's reverse engineered Borg technology. Consider the comic non-canon or canon, but its the closest to the official explanation you'll get.

Oh dear lord.

Why the hell would a pissed-off space trucker be granted access to some of the highest technology the quadrant has to offer?

This is like Cletus watching Podunk, MS gettin' all blowed up (losing Fred in the attack) and suddenly the frakking CIA is putting top-secret Skunk Works DARPA shit all over his 18 wheeler.

Seriously, is that the best the comics guys could come up with?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:

Why the hell would a pissed-off space trucker be granted access to some of the highest technology the quadrant has to offer?

This is like Cletus watching Podunk, MS gettin' all blowed up (losing Fred in the attack) and suddenly the frakking CIA is putting top-secret Skunk Works DARPA shit all over his 18 wheeler.

Seriously, is that the best the comics guys could come up with?

I don't know but this sounds like a TV show in the making!! LOL! "From the producers of Walker: Texas Ranger..."

LOL!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wes:
the Narada was outfitted with Tal Shiar's reverse engineered Borg technology. Consider the comic non-canon or canon, but its the closest to the official explanation you'll get.

If they had that they would have just taken the "red matter" horseshit instead of waiting to die.

We have seen that TOS era vessels are still plenty potent in TNG- recall that D-7 hybernation ship from TNG?
A fleet of 150 of them would certainly kick any single vessel's ass.
We are supposed to swallow that the Narada wiped out both the Klingon and Federation fleets (the latter in mere minutes) with no substantial damage.

Even the W359 battle took longer.

As I said, needing two entire comic book limited series to fill plot holes is just bad writing.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason:
quote:
As I said, needing two entire comic book limited series to fill plot holes is just bad writing.
Yes, "Carthage must be destroyed". Good tactic, repeat it enough times and people will accept it as truth, not just opinion.
They made the comic to make money, no need to ascribe more evil motives to them than that, I think. :.)

Regarding TOS-era ship prowess in modern Trek, the hibernated klingon D7 in ST:Voy fired multiple torpedoes at Voyager point-blank, hardly even scratching their shields. Considering also that the Battle of Vulcan was a trap to begin with, Nero had the advantage of surprise, nevermind the task force coming in expecting a rescue mission.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well of course it was to make money but it's annoying that the readily available (and obvious) story was just fixing holes not filled by the movie.

Yeah it sounds picky but really, this movie is a lot like watching TWOK with no Space Seed to back it up- it's certainly possible but no where near as gratifying- and, as I have said, a fine actor in Eric Bana was wasted in a role that could have been a sci-fi great -and tragic- villian.

Still, I keep saying that the (inevitible) next movie will be far better, now that they have a baseline to work from and I cling to that hope.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too think it is representative of bad writing. I am so tired of movies that seem compelling and exciting while you're sitting in the theater and then unravel to threads once you get home and think about them. It's especially annoying when you consider that the writers have a lot more time before release to reason these things out and it's their job, yet this is what we get.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I too think it is representative of bad writing. I am so tired of movies that seem compelling and exciting while you're sitting in the theater and then unravel to threads once you get home and think about them. It's especially annoying when you consider that the writers have a lot more time before release to reason these things out and it's their job, yet this is what we get.

*giggles* Yet, do all peoples do their job well? I mean why do you need the cops if everyone acts Lawful Good? [Big Grin]

maybe, just maybe... the DVD, without edits will be better (less plot holes at least)...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason:
quote:
Yeah it sounds picky but really, this movie is a lot like watching TWOK with no Space Seed to back it up- it's certainly possible but no where near as gratifying-
Funny coincedence, Jase. I haven't screened a Trek movie in years, but just two weeks ago I did a theme night with pals: Space Seed remastered, followed by Twok-SE.

And after that, I went on a James/ Horner/ Binge.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Good choices- the remastered version in particular blends the TOS ep with TWOK....I just wish they could have somehow edited Chekov in there... [Wink]

Pensive, the DVD will have several deleted scenes but none will be part of the movie- they'll be seperate- no doubt to shill another "special edition" release some day. [Roll Eyes]

Teh PW
Member # 1203

Here's a thought:

Now that it's pretty much a given that the future is totally screwed up for Spock-Prime, will he use his experiances and prior know of events possibly upcoming to affect them? For example, The Botany Bay, the doom's day machine, the Talosians, etc. besides offering ideas to improve tech, Spock-Prime could end up saving thousands, perhaps millions of lives simply by imforming them of the upcoming dangers (even the whale probe would have to be dealt with)

thoughts?

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since so many things, even minute things, have been altered in this new timelne, there's no telling if those events will play out as they did, if at all. I'd figure he'd want to stay incognito anyhow...perhaps retire? I mean...the guy is 154 years old...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Stuff like the Whale Probe, V'Ger and Planetkiller should all still happen like clockwork.

In fact, with possibly no Decker/Ilea in play (or alive but in diffrent careers dur to timeline changes) they might well need another pair of chumps.

I mean, if Commodore Decker does not die fighting the PK, then William decker might not even join starfleet and so wont be there to merge with V'Ger...

I really think Spock would spend the rest of his life trying to steer the federation away from serious clusterfucks caused by the timeline alteration.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep thinking that Spock would try to return to his own timeline, but how could he? He's in a tangent universe created by events in a future that now cannot come to pass (or at least his parts won't, presumably that star will still go nova). But if anybody could get over a hurdle like that, it's Spock.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
Member # 205

There's always the chance of someone from the other timeline trying to come and look for him instead, but I could see a lot of nice scenarios coming from Spock staying.
Also, he'd know in advance of the Borg and the bajoran wormhole.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

but would he say anything? For all we know, Q might tell him not to.

As for him returning to his timeline, again that requires him to cheat. The Guardian of Forever could very easily bring him back to his future... assuming something didn't happen to it...

so many possiblities, that my mind is burning...

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.