Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$ STXI SPOILERS $$ Various Observations About Star Trek XI: SPOILERS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ STXI SPOILERS $$ Various Observations About Star Trek XI: SPOILERS
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**SPOILERS**

DISLIKE:

At the end of the film, Jim Kirk is formally promoted to Captain and takes official command of the Enterprise. Spock shows up on the bridge and requests to serve as first officer. With the happy crew assembled, Kirk orders the ship to warp. Cut to an exterior of the ship, and Spock — Leonard Nimoy — reciting the “Space, the final frontier.” I think it was actually abbreviated a bit, but I did catch that the non-xenophobic “no one” was used instead of “no man.” However, I would have preferred if Chris Pine had done the narration. After all, he’s Captain Kirk.

GEEK OUT:

So, uh, where’s Sam Kirk? Y’know — Jim’s older brother? Maybe he died on the Kelvin, but from the reaction of Kirk’s parents, Jim was their first child.

Pike asks for volunteers trained in hand-to-hand combat: Sulu volunteers, and tells Kirk he’s versed in fencing. On the Romulan drill, he wields a katana which unfolds. Neat, although, er, fencing is a sport which utilizes a sword which is not a katana (two totally different fighting styles).

I loved the reference to Scott Bakula’s Jonathan Archer, from the prequel-series Enterprise, which is, of course, the only series that is now canon to both the TOS/TNG timeline, and to the Reboot time-line. I won’t go into more detail, except to say that Scotty is, apparently, to blame for the death of Porthos.

Leonard Nimoy’s role is more than a cameo, but at times — particularly towards the end of the film — sees a bit too fanboyish for my taste. Even so, it’s great seeing Nimoy in the pointy-ears again. Here’s Spock, our Spock, lost in an alternate reality of his own past, faced with the destruction of Vulcan and the genocide of its people, and in that, a new purpose for what is left of his future. Meanwhile, I had hoped for a scene with old Spock and Sarek — sort of a, “Look Dad, I turned out okay.”

DORKING OUT:

Nero’s altering of the time-line brings the core TOS crew together much sooner than they otherwise were, and gives Kirk command of the Enterprise considerably sooner than in the “real” time-line. By my best reckoning, this film takes place at about the time of “The Cage”, the original Star Trek pilot, where Capt. Pike’s science officer was Lt. Spock, and the mysterious Number One was both navigator and second-in-command.

The transporter stunt, used by Scott, to return Kirk to the Enterprise, really hit me as being, what’s the word? Wrong. In TNG, the maximum transporter distance is 40,000 kilometers, and at warp speed? Enterprise left Delta Vega waaay behind really quickly.

During the course of the movie, Pike is disabled. We see him, at the end, in a wheelchair, and in a very TMPish looking uniform. Of course, he might not permanently disabled, but it was a nice nod to how he wound up in the TOS/TNG timeline.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the impression that the teenage boy young Kirk drove by was his brother.

There's a lot of suspension of disbelief in this movie, but the only part I found jarring was the end with the whole "cadet to captain" thing. What they should have done was fast-forward eight years to show Commander Kirk being promoted to captain, with all the crew still serving on the Enterprise, with perhaps a hint of makeup to show they're a bit older (I mean, the characters in "The Shawshank Redemption" never aged a day, yet 20 years passed in that movie and it still worked well).

I'm sure Scotty is referring to another dog, as Porthos would have been over a hundred years old by that point.

All in all, I think it's wrong to try to connect the events of this movie to the events of the show, timeline-wise. It's like trying to fit in "Batman Begins" with the TV show Batman. It's just not going to work, no matter what Nero did to the timeline. Things are just too different. Obviously ENTERPRISE could fit into the scheme, but "Admiral A." aside, "Star Trek" should be a stand-alone thing, IMHO.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, I don't care for these kinds of origin stories. The characters and dynamics we've become familiar with were not all present from the first episode, but developed little by little over time during the series' run. That's part of the pleasure in watching a show, seeing that development as it occurs. It sort of neuters that when you go back before all of it and establish it all in the course of one story. I'm just talking in a dramatic sense here, not necessarily continuity-wise, since the timeline changes can be used to explain it. It's just a little contrived.

That said, given that this was obviously the kind of story they were going to do all along, they did it just about as well as it could be done, managing to at least attempt to avoid some of the pitfalls I was dreading they'd walk stright into; ie, Spock being an instructor rather than a cadet at the Academy, etc.

I do think the end is a bit beyond believability though. It would have been much better if upon returning the cadets had basically been told: "excellent work, we expect great things from you in the coming years AFTER YOU FINISH YOUR COURSE WORK." Or if we'd seen their graduation ceremonies at the end instead of them all being field promoted and allowed to just sail off with SF's newest ship!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Scott Nixon
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Scott Nixon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also thought that the older boy that the young James Kirk passed on the road was his older brother--in fact, I could swear I heard him say "George" when he was yelling something to him as he passed by. (I guess in the alternate universe, James calls him "George" instead of "Sam"--which I think makes sense, 'cause maybe "Sam" now went by "George" in honor of his dead father?)

As far as Kirk and the other cadets getting promoted so quickly after everything that took place, I figured two things: 1) a lot of Starfleet personnel--cadets and regular officers--died in the small fleet sent to Vulcan, so maybe it would be easier for new cadets to move up (plus, they seemed to push how everyone--from Kirk to Uhura to Chekov--were 'extremely brilliant' for their age or something); 2) Pike probably used his influence to guarantee Kirk got command of the Enterprise (he seemed to favor Kirk from the get-go of the movie).
In the original series, I got the impression that Pike and Kirk were only something like acquaintances; in this movie, I got the impression that Pike was something of a father figure/mentor for Kirk--and probably was all through his academy years (not shown in the movie). Who knows--maybe that relationship continues a bit after the movie, too. That is, I can see Admiral Pike continuing his relationship as mentor/guide for Captain Kirk for at least a few years after the events of the movie--at which point Kirk would have grown into his role as Captain firmly enough to not need him (i.e., Kirk finally 'grows up').

I don't get the USS Kelvin having 800 people--though I'm thinking maybe it was because they were on their way to set up a colony when they encountered the phenomenon. I guess it could have been the colonization of Tarsus IV, explaining how Kirk was there when he was a teenager?

--------------------
"One person's modus ponens is someone else's modus tollens."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Cadet to Captain.

In a somewhat stretching of disbelief kinda way, this actually does fit the "rank as job description" idea. You know, the somewhat utopian view that ranks aren't as strict as they currently are in the military, and are also just used to accurately describe someone's job and responsibility.

In some ways, it's the reverse of the equally strange demotion of Kirk from Admiral (Chief of Operations even) back to Captain, only to command the Enterprise.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The boy young Kirk passes by while he was joyriding was called Johnny by young Kirk. It could still be Sam Kirk as that was the intention from an earlier draft of the script, but Johnny would have to be a nickname that Kirk used and then stopped before calling his brother Sam instead.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as the Cadet to Captain thing...
Since they joined the academy, 3 years HAD PASSED before they went aboard the Enterprise.
I would say, at least, that they were all Ensigns by that point.

And then Pike promotes Kirk to First-Officer as an 'in battle promotion' and promotes Spock to acting-captain; as captains CAN do in the heat of a conflict.

Now - in military tradition, do they get to KEEP those promotions once a conflict is over? If so, there could be an argument that he was a Commander by the time the ceremony at the end took place.

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that George A. Custer was promoted to Brevet General in the Civil War and afterwards was reduced to Colonel in the regular army after the war. I think that the "Brevet" rank was an honorary thing more than anything else. I don't know if that tradition still exists.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A brevet is an honorary thing. I think it was implied that Kirk got a battlefeild commission.
He was elevated to the position of First Officer, but there was no mention of rank.

However, since all the other cadets were activated with a rank, I expect that Kirk did have a rank (allthough unkown by me, and possibly only provisional until graduation), and Pikes decision to give Kirk the job simply activated Kirk.

As a side note, Custer was a Major General of Volunteers and a Lieutenant Colonel, Regular Army (two distinct ranks, as at the time American Soldiers were seperately members of the Volunteers and the Regular Army). He was breveted a Major General in the Regular Army during the Civil War, but at the time he never ranked higher than a captian.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the battle going on in the movie where all the other star fleet star ships were at?? Where Quintospock wanted to take the Enterprise.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if there was a battle or not, the Admiral at Kirk's hearing just said that their primary fleet was engaged in the Laurentian System. Engaged in what - battle, exercises, or something else - wasn't expanded upon.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Laurentian System that's it! Why would Spock want to race off and join the fleet there if it was just for exercises. The instances mentioned made is sound like the Laurentian System was something very important! I reckon we'll hear more about this in the next movie.

I wonder how Guinan was feeling when the timeline's changed!?! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an interesting tidbit from Memory Alpha

"The scans the Kelvin took of the Narada's 24th century techonology (that went with the survivors on the shuttles) were used by 23rd century Starfleet to backwards engineer the more "advanced" technology seen in the alternate timeline, according to a post by Star Trek screenwriter Roberto Orci on Ain't It Cool News."

So the new E based on Tech scanned from the Narada?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Various thoughts in no particular order:

There were quite a few REALLY BAD SCIENCE moments in this movie- the Transporter from a planet to a ship warping away without knowing anything like the ship's position or speed or, well fucking anything was as lame as any "tech saves the day" thing I've ever seen on Trek.

Having a newly-formed black hole so close to the Sol System wont fuck up anything, riiight?

I thought they used Scotty as cheap comedy relief- he really did so little here.
Same with McCoy to some extent- a bit too over-the-top.

Why did the Enterprise fire on the Narada at the end anyway? It was already being consumed by the singularity- that was just silly overkill.

The silly "parachute to the mining platform" gag that the guy with the explosives did not take seriously.

Shooting Kirk off in a lifeboat via the side airlock (shudder)

Kirk just happens to meet Spock and Scotty (can I get a Giant fucking Rolleyes here?)- this is like watching a children's fairy tale plot unfolding.

The whole notion of Kirk going from cadet to Captain- and the doubtless dozens of Enterprise officers not even shown so the cadets could save the day... [Roll Eyes]

The obviously BSG-inspired battles were real tiresome after the initial Kelvin fight (which was the highpoint of the movie for me- it rocked).

The Enterprise fires all sorts of shit from it's saucer- and none of it is Phasers like we know them- the "fireworks" bolts look like Episode 3 footage with a Trek ship thrown in.

Where would a mining ship get a bunch of torpedos from? Why?
Eric Bana is wasted as the bad guy ("Nero"- ug.).

Quinto as Spock was great- by far the best acting in the movie...only the guy playing Kirk's dad was as good.
Nimoy's interaction with Quinto-Spock was very nicely done at the end, I thought.

Kirk's mom obviously got re-married at some point- it was Kirk's stepdad's car: maybe Sam is an stepbrother in ths timeline.
Or maybe this guy is Sam (from the original timeline) and they named him Jim under pressure- meaning that this timeline's "James T Kirk" never existed- we just have sam with his famous name. [Big Grin]

Overall I still liked it- there was never a "Fuck Yeah!" moment to the movie like the ones in Generations or First Contact- everyone knew the overall outcome.

Wynona Ryfer was Spock's mom is an odd casting choice- maybe the humans live a lot longer before loooking old in this timeline.

This movie really does not screw up the TNG/DS9/VOY timeline as it's clear it's an alternate history that Spock was tossed into.

I wonder how much Spock will break the Prime Directive here? He knows tech and major Federation fuckups to avoid- he could even get back to his own timeline via the Guardian, I suppose.

Nothing about this movie makes the Enterprise not look like total shit with those gant dumbass nacelles-which I kept hoping would get ripped off by the singularity and replaced with classic TOS versions at the end.

Maybe he'll mind-meld with Young Spock to eperience some of that sweet sweet Uhura lovin' first. [Wink]

There's more stuff to bitch and praise but I'll have to re-watch it on my bootleg first. [Razz]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Having a newly-formed black hole so close to the Sol System wont fuck up anything, riiight?
Actually, no, it won't. A black hole is a function of density, not of mass. So long as no significant new mass is added to the system, everything should continue orbiting just as it has been.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps