Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Oh the hypocrisy, oh the horror.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oh the hypocrisy, oh the horror....
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, I have not seen the Star Trek movie. Nor do I have any plans to. I don't agree with the direction that they have taken with this movie, now considering that this may very well erase TNG and DS9 (two of my favourite Trek series) from Star Trek Continuity. Debate all you want if it still exists and whatnot, but that's beside the point.

In my own circle of friends I could be classified as the only "trekkie". Many people I know prefer Star Wars to Star Trek. Most of these people have already seen this new film and have told me that I "have got to see this cool film". I have heard various comments ranging from:

• "this is the best trek movie ever"
  • "this is how trek should have been done in the first place"
  • "if they did this star trek many years ago, it would have been a sooo popular"
  • "next gen and those other new series were all crap, this kicks all their asses"
  • "I like the NEW star trek, i wanna see the next movie come out"

And so on, and so on.

So, tired about their ramblings about how I absolutely most positively see this movie, I snapped back: "So, what about they redo the whole Star Wars Franchise. I'm sure it will make it a whole lot better."

Needless to say, I barely escaped with my head that night. Darned double standards. Their point is that Star Wars was meant to be what it is, and that for Trek to be popular, it must use the "same formula" that made Star Wars. Gene Roddenberry, however, probably didn't intend to make Star Trek to be an outright action extravaganza. Makes you wonder if he is rolling in his grave.

[ June 05, 2009, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Saltah'na ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Word, except you should see the movie for the novelty and the fun, if nothing else. This coming from someone who's about as down on Action Trek as anyone.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before this movie, my son (who's 9) would have agreed with your friends that all the previous Trek series were "crap". However, it seems to have really ignited his interest in all of them. He's since watched many TOS and TNG episodes with us, read up on the Borg, and the other night I caught him humming the TNG theme music. For myself and many other parents, this movie has been a big help in getting their kids interested in Trek as a whole, and the stories and ideas that come with it.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it, but it sure as hell is not the best Trek movie ever made. I think the reason why some fans are going absolute gaga is because this the first Star Trek movie in long time that's at least half way decent.

Edit:And if I may ask, what's wrong wanting to see the next movie. I already came this far, why not just keep going?

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, these guys are gaga over the fact that to them, this is a "much needed reboot" which I don't agree with.

They want to see the new version of TWOK next. With more action. And more phasers. And Kirk bedding more women. Whatever.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What if Dr. Carol Marcus was actually twins?" "Hot twins?" "Sexy bikini model twins?" "Well, duh..."

TWOK is not something they can do at this point. So much stuff about age and Khan's long-simmering hatred/vengeance is integral to it working as a movie. They haven't earned that and frankly I don't think the rebooted series is ready for it. Super-actiony laser-parade romp Space Seed could work, however.

Do not proceed from ignorance. Sneak in from a different movie if you insist on not supporting this one. But do see it even if only to better know what it is you hate about it.

And I think a Star Wars reboot is a pretty cool idea, I'd be curious. Fans may be touchy about the subject given what's transpired with Lucas revisitations. I'd be a bit wary myself...

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, condemning anything without seeing it is, frankly, stupid. That's the sort of thing religious fanatics and extremists do, condeming something out of hand without actually knowing what you are condemning. See it, then you are allowed to comment and hate it.

This is not a religion, people, it's just a telly series. If the movie invigorates interest in the series amongst those who were not originally fans, then so much the better. It certainly has done that amongst the people I know, and they have asked me for my DVD collection to check it out. I'm just sorry that most of the older films are rather spotty in comparison to the new one.

As for a Star Wars reboot, it effectively did when the second trilogy came out. Watching the lightsaber fights in the old ones is painful now.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
For the record, I have not seen the Star Trek movie.

For the record, I have not read this thread.

But I disagree anyway.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Axeman 3D:
quote:
See it, then you are allowed to comment and hate it.
Well look at it from his perspective. Besides reading what bad reviews there are that are circling the net, and following the different hate-threads on the forums, Tahna's also made it clear that he must avoid the movie in order to spite his best friends. It's a rather passive-aggressive solution, but you can't argue with results. His friends will shrug and perhaps be a little sad that they'll have one thing less to share with Tahna, and he, by definition, wins utter victory. Nothing new on the horizon to upset the balance.

Just Harry Mudd in 1080p, smiling broadly and cooing, hands filled with food, walking slowly toward the camera until his nipples are out of focus. Ranch dressing gets on the lens.
Back and forth. Forever.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
For the record, I have not seen the Star Trek movie.

For the record, I have not read this thread.

But I disagree anyway.

Harry wins.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this rather amusing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:

Just Harry Mudd in 1080p, smiling broadly and cooing, hands filled with food, walking slowly toward the camera until his nipples are out of focus. Ranch dressing gets on the lens.
Back and forth. Forever.

Oh, god. No... Nim, you magnificent bastard, you have poisoned my mind!
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
I found this rather amusing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

I don't find that funny at all. Actually, it's somewhat insulting.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you need to take yourself a little less seriously! I was in stitches.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
As for a Star Wars reboot, it effectively did when the second trilogy came out. Watching the lightsaber fights in the old ones is painful now.

Well, I completely agree there- I grew up thinking Luke in Jedi was a super baddass but he'd get slaughtered by those Jedi kids at the temple.

I say, go get a few beers with friends and watch the movie as a fun alternate universe and then come back and pick over the bad stuff.
And there's bad stuff- absolutely- but it's still a fun movie and it's doing a LOT for the fanbase.

Also consider that a potential JJ sequel might be far superior- he really does look at what people post online for critique and the success of this movie will very likely preclude the need to shoot scenes in a brewery to keep the budget down.

Hmmm....If it's three years before another is in theatres we might get to see kirk and everyone look how they should circa TOS season one.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps