Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek Online, is anyone playing? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Star Trek Online, is anyone playing?
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every review of ST:Online says the same thing, it's not finished yet. I think I'll be waiting a while to see how it pans out before i lash out any hard earned on this one. I laugh at my mates for grinding away on Warcraft for hours. They'd laugh their arses off at me playing something even worse.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's offical: STO is the real deal, post Nemmy TNG and the books? well, they are books...

http://trekmovie.com/2010/02/11/cryptic-announces-new-borg-content-for-star-trek-online-details-video-screenshots-more/

Now, take it for a gram of crack, that all that means, but to me, at least, the books are pretty much ignored (just like they have done in the past) with the only comments on the Borg's disappearance being ONLY attrubed to the end results of VOY-Endgame. No destiny tie-in's, no Eri Dax and the Slipstream (for those of you who seem happy with that, No eri = win)... well maybe, Eri since someone actually did a pic for the recent calendar series... but no Orion/Gorn/Tholian orgy-feast, No 'NO-Bork' and i guess Janeway is still kicking...

and since none of this matters since i've still out at sea, with 4 miles of straw, i think i'm just ranting to rant (it burns calories, i'm told)

thoughts?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
Every review of ST:Online says the same thing, it's not finished yet.

I'll agree with that assessment, but in my experience I have yet to see any MMO in the 8 years I've been playing them launch in a completely satisfactory manner. Even World of Warcraft had some bad launch buzz.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the biggest complaints that I'm hearing is that the game is heavily instanced. Meaning that if you wanted to assemble a group to take on missions, there is no guarantee that you will always end up in the same mission instance. I've noticed that a lot of my playing away team missions on the Beta was done doing solo. Hope they add some functionality for group instancing.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The borg in this game look like anorexic supermodels. The "new" queen in particular looks interesting, especially her head gear and her exposed spinal column. What sense does that make?
Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if these keys this site is selling are legit?

http://www.onlinecdkey.com/index/star-trek-online-10day-trial-p-284.html

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just the trial and not the full game. They do sell those at Wal Mart and a few bucks.

If your just looking to try the game out for 10 days, I'm pretty sure I have one free trial key left I got with the collector's edition that I can PM you when I get off work.

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Yeah, I'm aware that these keys are trial only. I'm just trying to figure out if I really want the game or not.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'll wait till they get the kinks worked out before I give it a try.

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on since Beta and bought lifetime membership... I've been casually playing it as I'm myself waiting for the 45 day mark. So far I've made it to Commander with a Cheyenne Class Heavy Cruiser with shit loads of fun with my friends. It's not yet perfect... I'm waiting it out considering.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Saltah'na
Member # 33

So thanks to Josh who provided me with a Trial Key, I've spent the last 10 days playing STO.

There are a lot of people who love the game just as much as there are a lot of those who hate it with a passion. For me, being an newbie to the world of MMO it clearly puts me in the former category to which some people note that World of Warcraft is the more polished, and the standard that STO needs to beat. I've never played WoW before but one friend says that STO is nowhere close providing the entertainment value that WoW provides.

Part of the new thrill for STO for me is that new starship you get, that new weapon you obtain and that shiny piece of equipment that makes your ship or away team that much stronger. Seeing that in only 10 days of constant playing, I've made it to Commander, Level 7, with a new Heavy Cruiser, it makes me wonder what happens after I make it to the highest level possible, with the most powerful starship? Will there still be fun? Replay value? What happens after I max out all my skills? Some people say that in WoW the possible skills that you obtain is immense and STO doesn't even come close (for some, the biggest complaint is the so-called "skill cap").

Truthfully, if I kept pushing, I would have probably made Captain by now. But perhaps I need to get my feet back in the game, I've got some things to do in the next month so getting the game itself is probably not an option at the moment. But I will get it, the only question is when. Hopefully by then, the game will be a lot better.

But it was fun while it lasted. Thanks Josh!!!

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You would have made captain already?
maybe they base their rank advancment on the Abramsverse. [Wink]

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

PLay as long as my mates play WoW and you'll be Grand Poobah of the Universe in a couple of months.

--------------------

Saltah'na
Member # 33

When you're unemployed, playing around 8 hours/day is not.... unheard of.... :S

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old room-mate showed me the total WoW time he had amassed- over two weeks in 2 1/2 years!
That's a lot of time in my opinion...but I'm not really a gamer.

I've definitely spent as much time reading, I suppose, now that I dont watch TV.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps