Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Star Trek Online, is anyone playing? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Star Trek Online, is anyone playing?
starship
Member # 2203

- posted      Profile for starship     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never played STO, but I do like a lot of a few ships. Sadly I can´t convert them to 3dsmax, which I can do with Bridge Commander ships. At least, I don´t know a way to make a conversion from STO to MAX. Any of you does to know?

--------------------
Brasil Starhips
My Blog: http://brstarship.wordpress.com
My site: http://starships.host.sk

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I hardly ever turn down a free to play starship game, even if it is Star Trek.

My display name is dabang80 so if anyones going to be playing in a few hours it'd be fun to go blow something up.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

starship
Member # 2203

- posted      Profile for starship     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the ones interested...
A friend (Farshot) at the Bridge Commander forums found a way to import the STO ships in 3dsmax using a software that can capture mesh data: http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm. He already done a test importing the Exeter (the one in the middles), and got success! [Smile] See:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7415/excalcomp.png

Here it goes what he said about this: "...The ripped model was around 10k tri's. I say "was" because by just messing with the saucer, I was able to remove a good five thousand triangles. STO models have a different way of smoothing than what we do with BC ones. STO's meshes all use only one smoothing group. At areas that need hard edges, like the rim of a Sovereign-like saucer, there are actually entire bunches of minuscule polygons that make it appear sharp. Without these micro-polies, the entire mesh would look like a blob, but with them the poly count is excessively high for a relatively low quality mesh."

--------------------
Brasil Starhips
My Blog: http://brstarship.wordpress.com
My site: http://starships.host.sk

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I finally got around to giving this game another shot a few weeks ago, and this time around, I've gotten hooked.

Finally got my Fed character up to max level, very slowly trying out endgame stuff.

And Romulans are now a playable faction. Sorta. But hey, warbirds!

Anybody still playing this? I'm getting so sick of perfect strangers throwing me fleet invites; if I'm gonna join one, I'd like to join one with people I know.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think of this like trying some awesome drug . . . best not to even make it possible to get hooked, 'cause I know I would.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiosity, how far has the game come since launch? I had a go at the free trial way back when but it just never really grabbed me.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The game is a lot better now than it was before. Call it teething or growing pains or whatever. The fleet advancement system is a nice thing to have. My KDF and FED fleets are now at Tier 2 but I would appreciate some help. The FED fleet is called Royal Canadian Mounted Starfleet, and the KDF fleet is called Parliamentary Canadian Empire. It's ok if you guys are not Canadian, send me a PM at @Tahna_Los and I'll add you in. I've got a lot of free stuff in the fleet that you can help yourselves in.

Some of the new ships are also nice too. The U.S.S. Prometheus is there, complete with Multi Vector Assault Mode. The Next version of the Galaxy Class (Oddysey Class) is nice to have with saucer separation and a separate attack module, its KDF and ROM counterparts aren't too shabby either. I also got my hands on a beefed up Akira Class ship that I call me Torpedo Rain Boat, if you see how many torpedoes I can throw at the enemy, you would understand.

This game is especially worth a shot now that it is F2P. There are a lot of good things about it however, my advice for you is to get a subscription first. Level up your character then go back to F2P. It's now easy to level up any character with the Duty Officer system (set duty officer assignments then disappear for a while), and you get lots of free perks when you level up.

This game is awesome. We need more people. And I need more people in my fleets!!!

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorta tempted. But then I've been tempted by Eve for the past 6 years. I suspect that a MMO would be bad for me.

On the other hand, my wife is moving to Newcastle for two years, so I'll be free most week nights.

Hmm.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone looking for an invite to the Fed Fleet or Klingon fleet?

In both cases the original members seem to have disappeared from the STO scene but they were gracious enough to give me control of the fleet. If I get any more takers I can rename the fleet. [Smile]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that they've given the option to play as Romulans, but that feature has come to late to pull me back in. The game just gets a tad repetitious after a while. Unless that has changed?
Saltah'na
Member # 33

Repetitious? Probably not, not with all that new content that has come in. More ships, more missions, more equipment, more ways to play.

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WARNING: The following post contains massive spoilers for Star Trek Online through the episode "Time in a Bottle".

So... I'm a happy camper.

First, some backstory for those unfamiliar with the game. The overall plot is that the Iconians are actually still alive and want their galaxy back. They initially remained in the background pitting the major powers of the Milky Way against each other. Now, however, they have moved on to outright invasion.

As revealed in last year's expansion Delta Rising, the Iconians provided the Vaadwaur with advanced technology and unleashed them on the Delta Quadrant. Amongst those noted to have already fallen to the Vaadwaur were the Krenim.

However, more recent episodes have revealed that the Krenim Imperium was not just another victim. The Iconians specifically ordered the Vaadwaur to eliminate the Krenim first, and I don't mean just defeating them. The Krenim were apparantly genocided to death, and all their technology destroyed. Presumably, this has something to do with the revelation in the episode "Uneasy Allies" that the Iconians cannot time travel, as doing so actually causes them brain damage.

Today's episode, "Time in a Bottle", reveals that the Krenim colony on Kyana Prime survived by adapting Annorax's research (remember that PADD at the end of "Year of Hell, Part II"?) to place it out-of-sync with the space-time continuum. Furthermore, the Krenim have provided the Federation/Klingon/Romulan alliance with the plans to Annorax's temporal weapon ship (in the current timeline, it was planned but never built) so they can build one themselves to use against the Iconians. Given that Annorax himself never managed to quite get the results he wanted by using it, I'm guessing we're in for major temporal shenanigans.

In short, the Krenim are back, baby! And it only took...

*Checks watch*

...eighteen years.

--------------------

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must admit that I've enjoyed the latest episode, although as my main toon is a Vulcan Starfleet officer I had two things going through my mind...what about the Temporal Prime Directive, and of course that the Vulcan Science Directorate has determined that time travel is impossible. [Wink]
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

quote:
Originally posted by Zipacna:
Must admit that I've enjoyed the latest episode, although as my main toon is a Vulcan Starfleet officer I had two things going through my mind...what about the Temporal Prime Directive, and of course that the Vulcan Science Directorate has determined that time travel is impossible. [Wink]

I knew there was a reason my main toon is an Andorian. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

And today it was announced that the next fleet holding will be a Krenim-themed research lab.

I don't think the devs could make me happier even if they directly stimulated the joy centers of my brain.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps