Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Funny (disturbing) Trek reviews (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Funny (disturbing) Trek reviews
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the same guy who did the 70 min. Phantom Menace Review (Red Letter Media / Harry S. Plinkett), has also done several other reviews of sci-fi classics. I found his review of Nemesis particularly amusing. But I thought I'd link to the first installment for each of the Trek ones.
I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to find the subsequent parts. Fair warning: there are a number of ghastly references to serial murder which are intended to be taken lightly, but which may upset younger and more delicate sensibilities.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should link the Star Trek 2009 review, that one particularly colorful with its humor.
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The man knows his Trek, that's for sure. His ripping apart of the scene at the end of Generations with Picard tossing aside his priceless clay artifact is endlessly funny and very well observed.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kay... I've known Insurrection and Nemesis were terrible for years... but these really make you realize just how lazy the production and story telling was. Especially when compared to the TWoK.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I particularly enjoy his suggestion that in Nemesis when they need to beam one person over to Shinzon's super-weapon to kill all the Remans and blow up the ship, that instead of the 65 year-old man with arthritis, that they instead send Worf loaded down with knives and bat'leths.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched the Nemesis one. Wow. I laughed quite hard.

I'm amazed that he picked up stuff I'd not noticed - perhaps it was that bad my brain filtered it for me, or maybe they were bits where I was cradleing my head in my hands. I dunno.

The bit where he shows the unadjusted box office gross for the films made me crease up, just because of the dumb music. But then I thought does that still hold up? Yes, yes it does. Inflation adjusted or not it's still the worst performing Trek movie, by quite a long way...

But dispite that, it's still better than Star Trek V: The Final Time We Let Bill Direct.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Kay... I've known Insurrection and Nemesis were terrible for years... but these really make you realize just how lazy the production and story telling was. Especially when compared to the TWoK.

Man...I dont agree- TWOK's plot is kinda rushed to say the least, and there's the huge plot hole that Kirk somehow knows why Kahn is captaining Reliant and looking for payback- without anyone bothering to say "WTF, Kahn?!? I left you on the planet of your choice with a babe and all your pals- why the hell are you shooting the ship I just fucked over another captain to re-command?"

Insurrection, while slow, tells a story from start to finish, First Contact does the same, but faster and with cool ship battles.
quote:

I particularly enjoy his suggestion that in Nemesis when they need to beam one person over to Shinzon's super-weapon to kill all the Remans and blow up the ship, that instead of the 65 year-old man with arthritis, that they instead send Worf loaded down with knives and bat'leths

Or just, you know, a bundle of torpedos.

Or a skunk- that would sure screw their day.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last couple minutes of part one of the Insurrection review had me rolling with laughter.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I've often wondered if the blue background inside the collector ship in Insurrection was by design or just that they really did just run out of money and decided to not fill-in blue screen elements. There are a couple of CG effects shots that look very poorly lit, so I have to wonder if there was some issue there.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet another reason why Nemesis should have never been made (that way it was)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with that is that if you consider Wolf359, Picard gets a lot more kills... and Sisko as well, when you consider all the ships destroyed over the course of the Dominion War.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dislike Insurrection for portraying the Enterprise as an impotent little frigate, after having rocked the Borg six ways til sunday in FC. Also, the plot felt too localized to warrant a movie.

Despite its flaws, I put Nemesis above Insurrection and Final Frontier because it redeemed the Enterprise as a Ship Of The Line again, in a retelling of the Khan-Kirk dogfight but with more muscle, which I thought fitting since it's the last time we'll see the Sovereign on the silver screen. After that, the rest of the criticism against Nemesis just feels like pointless whiny bickering. To quote Mr Plinkett up there, "we're not watching this stinker for the plot".
I don't watch "Way of the Dragon" to see Bruce Lee eat dumplings with Nora Miao (even though she's a hot cookie), I watch it for the Chuck Norris-fight.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're implying that Shinzon is Chuck Norris?

I can see the CBS show now...
Shinzon: Reman Ranger

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO! Just finished Gen part 2 review...hilarious!!!!

Hmm, can't see part one of First Contact - "set to private". [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeizon:
quote:
You're implying that Shinzon is Chuck Norris?

I can see the CBS show now...
Shinzon: Reman Ranger

Well, maybe not the Walker but he's Bob Wall, at least. (I love how Lee kicks him so hard in the face that it creates a dust cloud around his head, Peanuts-style.)

I don't know, I felt Tom Hardy pulled his weight in Nemesis, I thought he took to the role as a megalomaniac better than I felt Joaquin Phoenix was as Emperor Dick van Dyke in "Gladiator", the closest comparison. Hardy certainly got more stuff done, killing his entire senate, built a Rap-star class battleship and dreamraped Troi. Joaquin Phoenix killed one (1) gay senator with a small snake and then limited himself to trying (and failing repeatedly) to bed his sister. The historical Commodus would've succeeded in all that and "free lobster for everyone" within a week.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps