Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "What You Leave Behind" Klingon line

Author Topic: "What You Leave Behind" Klingon line
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what Martok says in "What You Leave Behind" just after Sisko and Ross pour out their drinks and leave? They said they didn't want to do a toast over the bodies of the Cardassians; as soon as they leave, Martok says something like "Humans...pah...*Something in Klingon*" I can't find a translation on Memory Alpha or elsewhere (including the original thread here on Flare for the ep in question).
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't feel like looking atm the moment but here's some youtube on the specific subject

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=What+You+Leave+Behind+ds9&aq=f

are you certain at all it WAS klingon he said? it could have just been actor stuff to imply he said something in some language, not intended to be something specific in nature? That is, implication (i mean, if the conversation was totally human, what do you think he might have said instead?

go play!

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRYOsB-I7ik&NR=1

time frame: 08:53 is the requested segment for review (You're welcome, Dan [Big Grin] )

i'm certain it's just bullshit throat clearing and not actually actor-spoken klingon...

--------------------

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's meant to be words, but nothing clear or intelligible to the audience: just Martok muttering to himself as he drinks, unable to understand why the two humans aren't enjoying the moment as much as he is.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, the script simply says :
With that, Sisko pours his bloodwine onto the
ground. Ross does the same, then they both EXIT,
leaving Martok alone on the street.

The Chancellor shrugs, "humans -- go figure." He
then looks at the bottle of bloodwine in his hand,
tilts it to his lips, and takes a long swallow. WE
HOLD on Martok, looking quite contented, gazing out
at the devastation.

So, it sounds like he just added some Klingon-y sounds, rather than anything specific.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is saying something in Klingon. It sounds like "kutch i jutch". Don't have any idea what it's supposed to mean, but it seems obvious he's supposed to be saying a Klingon phrase.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, something like quch di dyuch or something is what it sounded like to me. I've seen translations of other Klingon lines on the series so I figured somebody wrote him a line, but maybe it was just Hertzler ad-libbing.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the fact that people like us have pretty much created the entire language with grammar and everything... I'm guessing they actually wrote him a line in Klingon. Probably means "Go figure" or an equivalent expression.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they wrote one, but as we know from Moore they didn't necessarily follow the Okrand Klingon . . . it was often just sort of a phonetic stab at it.

No reason Hertzler couldn't have taken his own stab at it if it seemed to work on the stage and the director approved, though such things aren't usually considered kosher.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Teh PW
Member # 1203

it was also the end of the show so if he didn't exactly follow the script, did they even care? It made the point, as Aban said.

case closed, Dan?

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Yeah, methinks so. (I knew this was the place to come to get bunches of answers within a day or two [Razz] )
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
He is saying something in Klingon. It sounds like "kutch i jutch". Don't have any idea what it's supposed to mean, but it seems obvious he's supposed to be saying a Klingon phrase.

Direct translation "Fuck all"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps