Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What if... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What if...
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, I know, poor form to link to another forum, but I can't help it.

What if the Enterprise-D hadn't been destroyed in Generations?

http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=906629&postcount=40

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think much would have changed...eventually we would have seen a beefed up galaxy like we eventually saw the Sovie upgraded before Nemesis...and I can't really think of anything we saw the E-E do that the E-D couldn't end up doing. Except successfully ejecting a warp core, I guess. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, probably not an awful lot in the grand scheme of things. The crew was pretty much the same on both ships, so it's just a different ship involved in the same situations. Presumably, though, Worf would never have been re-assigned to DS9, but how that would impact on things I don't know...possibly Gowron would never have been killed towards the end of the Dominion War, but that's a big maybe. And, of course, Dax would never have married Worf, so Bashir might have got some a little earlier.
Apart from that, probably things would be the same throughout.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why dont WE do that here 'That Photoshop thing'?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We might have actually gotten to see the Galaxy-type Captain's Yacht in Insurrection. It would've looked pretty stupid in a space battle though.

Assuming Cochran's ship design theories were influenced by seeing the Ent. E orbting Earth, early Earth ship design might have changed.

And of course, the Curlan Neskos that Picard tossed on the floor to pick up his photo album would have eventually been revealed to be an ancient weapon capable of defeating the Dominion, the Borg, the Cardassians and to make one heck of a mess of biscuits.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What if the Enterprise-D hadn't been destroyed in Generations?
Some of those photoshopped pictures look pretty real, others not so much. But it still proves what everyone else was saying: having a different ship doesn't really change anything, other than that maybe the D would still be around to have an extra nacelle and supercannon attached to it in the future.

Now, I would have been all for keeping the Ent-D as the ship instead of having it get destroyed in the silliest of ways, and then building that ugly Ent-E for FC. As a matter of fact, in retrospect I would have been happier had they not made the TNG movies at all, but instead continued with a season 8, with a new crew and new writers. But now I'm getting off topic...

quote:
Presumably, though, Worf would never have been re-assigned to DS9
Yes he would have. They would have just contrived another explanation for his transfer instead of the fact that his ship blew up.

quote:
Assuming Cochran's ship design theories were influenced by seeing the Ent. E orbting Earth, early Earth ship design might have changed.

I don't think that Cochrane looking at a tiny Enterprise through a telescope for 5 seconds really influenced his thinking about spacecraft design all that much.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
why dont WE do that here 'That Photoshop thing'?

WHAT IF...Star Wars and Star Trek fought!? PHOTOSHOP GO!
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall that early on, the idea of the Ent-E being another galaxy class was thrown around, I think the 6-foot model was even a modified with an E. And while the means by which the E-D met its end were silly, I rather like the Sovereign class.

What if...we broke into Angelina Jolie's house at night and watched her sleep? Photoshop Go!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
I don't think that Cochrane looking at a tiny Enterprise through a telescope for 5 seconds really influenced his thinking about spacecraft design all that much.

And out the window too, don't forget. He got a clearer look there, I imagine.

And it's not like he needs a whole lot of time to take in the basic appearance of the ship. Hell, just seeing the saucer could arguably be a huge leap in warp theory, in that ship design started down the "proper" path decades earlier, avoiding lots of trial and error with variations on the sphere instead. All it takes is the planting of an idea that he can develop on his own.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We probably wouldn't have had the deflector dish sequence in STVIII.

The problem with the D was the same problem the original Enterprise had - It was made for TV, not film production. They beefed up the model for Generations, but the ship lacked a lot of interesting hull detail that they were probably looking for.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could've been easily remedied without a new ship. Hell, it isn't like the E-E is a detail-fest. It's just jagged here and there.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E being added to the Ent D model was a joke on the part of the production crew. I don't think they ever seriously intended the new ship to be another Galaxy Class.

Cochrane's an engineer. Seeing advanced technology, even for a brief time, could make an impression. It's like a designer seeing... design... stuff.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
didn't they hate TV-D filming model because of the care needed to film it? I suppose only the TMP filming was more dispised becuase of the restrictions the physical model required...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those images of the E-D inplace of the E-E are fantastic!! They are REALLY well done!! WOO! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not saying the plots would've been any different, just pointing out that the E-D filming model looked great in Generations and didn't need to be replaced.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps