Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New DS9 era game! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New DS9 era game!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOAH!
Okay, this is a new- incredible looking- Dominion War game in HD.
Wow, if the game matches these cut scenes, it'll be incredible.
Check this crazy shit out!

Yeah...I'm in for this one!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously it takes place in an alternate reality where the Federation only operates Galaxy and Nebula Class ships. And the Defiant.

[Razz]

The ships look great. Wonder if they'll be any surface stuff. Ground assaults. The Argo.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will have an uphill battle if it wants to be comparable to STO. I just reactivated my membership to that one.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judging by a quick look at the game I would say that is nothing like STO; its completely browser based and free. Which would explain why there's only the three Starfleet ships, KBoPs and Galors. I'll certainly check it out.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll reserve judgement until I see actual gameplay. Pre-release CGI cutscenes always look cool but don't rememble the final product.

Was a neat trailer though.

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made me break out my old Armada 2 game and kick some Cardie ass.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody ever play Birth of the Federation?
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've shown two of the in-game models, that of the Galaxy and the Klingon Bird of Prey. This shows that the creators are making at least some attempt at capturing the actual look of these ships, unlike some other Trek games which recreate half-assed versions of these ships. But I do hope there is a larger selection of ships. I mean the Klingons did have Vor'chas.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Judging by a quick look at the game I would say that is nothing like STO; its completely browser based and free. Which would explain why there's only the three Starfleet ships, KBoPs and Galors. I'll certainly check it out.

the big fleet scene had a couple of Akira and Nebulas -and fighters!...they did nothing much in those action shots though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:

Birth of the Federation was awesome, and quite possibly the first game I played over a network.

Actually, thinking about it, it might also be the last good Star Trek game I played. I've avoided STO because I spend quite enough time playing online games, I don't need to add an MMORPG to that list thankyou.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best Trek ship combat game was and will always be a well-modded Klingon Academy. The original game's slow phasers and whatnot could be fixed with a click or two, ships and sounds added just as easily, and best of all the ship specs were in easily-editable text files so you could balance the ships to your heart's content.

By the end of the process you had a well-balanced multi-generation Trek combat free-for-all in which you could knock off nacelles or disable and take enemy ships. True, it lacked the infinite damage-modeling of later games, instead relying on some preconfigured damage, but it was still awesome.

There was nothing better than taking a few minutes to hop into the Defiant (which mine, I'll grant, may have been a little too powerful) and send it against a ton of weaker opponents like TMP-era Mirandas, destroying some, disabling the rest, and doing evil things with the disabled ones like tractoring them into one another, black holes, asteroid belts, or what-have-you.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see Amazon has some copies of KA from a 3rd party retailer. But I don't know if such an old game works with XP. I try the demo.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the wiki article, just last week someone made an emulator or something that allows one to play KA on a modern computer.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The game would no longer work properly after the release of a certain version of Nvidia driver, one which became increasingly ancient. And, according to what I read at one point, nobody could figure out how to get it to work under Vista.

Also, I made the mistake at one point of installing the Next Generation Academy mod, which was supposed to be a massive modpack full of awesome, with assorted new models, new sound effects, and well-balanced ships. However, it completely boned up my install and was generally much crappier than what I was already playing with. And something ... I forget now what ... happened with the backup I'd made.

I currently still have like four different "14 Degrees East" directories with KA in them, but I couldn't get them to run in an XP VirtualBox attempt, and I think most were stupid NGA-screwed-up copies anyway.

In any event, though, I was able to use some of the low-poly models as templates for my Starship Volumetrics page. It was while doing so last year that I learned of the vast wasteland that has replaced the once-thriving KA community.

Though now that I searched for what you were talking about, Fabrux, I see all is not dead. Last time I looked during the days I was researching stuff the forums at KlingonAcademy.com could not even be found, and there were no new posts in ages. Looks like there's been a resurgence of late.

Hmm.

Thanks! I think . . . you might've just reintroduced me to a new old time vampire. [Wink]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:

*raises hand* I did. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Obviously it takes place in an alternate reality where the Federation only operates Galaxy and Nebula Class ships. And the Defiant.

I saw Akiras and Mirandas in there too...

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps