Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What will we NOT see (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What will we NOT see
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if anyone's discuseed this yet, but,we have to think of what will not be on the series. It's based in the 2100s, so we won't see the Klingons, Borg, Cardassians (probably), Ferengi, or Romulans (we can see their ships, but the Feds can't see their faces, since they were first looked upon in "Balance of Terror." And, we'll have to have a character from another series show up, keeping in the tradition of the other shows. Plus, no phasers, just lasers or something. And what about the transporters? What we hopefully will see is the founding of the Federation.
Oh yeah, what were they thinking? Akira-class?!

--------------------
Meh

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to break this to you, but the Klingons are going to be in Enterprise. The justification for it has been presented in many of the other threads, so I'll skip over it here.

As far as races we won't be seeing, that'll include Romulans, Cardassians, Bajorans, Benzites, Ferengis, maybe Bolians, maybe Betazoids, the Borg, and any species from the Delta and Gamma Quadrants. As far as equipment goes, we'll see some form of personal weaponry, but it'll be lasers or something similar. We'll probably see early versions of handheld communicators and tricorders. No isolinear optical computing, no duotronic computing, no replicators, no shipboard or handheld phasers. Photon torpedoes are a maybe, and transporters are in their infancy. Subspace radio should be in operation by this time since that is how the Romulan War cessation of hostilities was negotiated.

As for the ship, yes, the top view bears a resemblance to the Akira class. But the nacelles bend in the opposite direction, the ship is smaller, there is no massive weaponry, etc. There's about three other threads between this forum and the starship forum that go into this more in-depth than I can.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Oh, well. But FYI, the Klingons made first contact with the Feds in 2218, according to the Encyclopedia.

--------------------
Meh

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Books like the Encyclopedia and Chronology are made up largely of guesswork, especially when it comes to dates. "Don't believe them! Don't trust them!"

You know, it occurs to me that we could meet Sarek's parents, given the time frame. Skonn and Sokath, weren't they? But then, the second one could just as easily have been his grandfather...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW: The Star Trek CCG took the cute step of naming the Vulcan who appeared in Star Trek First Contact "Solkar," a tip of the hat to Spock, I guess.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breen. We will see breen. I bet you anything.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*would like that*

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will see Breen, we will see Cardassians, Romulans, Borg, Ferengi, Bajorans, bloody everything!! Christ we'll probably see Defiant class - style ships as well. They've totally f**cked any sense of Trek continuity in its damn entirety, so why not, might as well screw everything else to hell as well!

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Admiral:

So far, there is no concrete evidence available to suggest that Trek history is being screwed with.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Ah yes, I was waiting for debate over my topic. Bwah-ha-ha!
But seriously, folks, you have a point. The 2218 connection was mentioned in "Day of the Dove," but they probably said something like "The Federation made contact with them 50 years ago." And since we have no definite date for TOS, we don't know the exact first contact date. But maybe Rick Berman just says "Screw the books, just write the script!"

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see no reason why we couldn't see the Bolians or Betazoids. Betazed is apparently pretty deep within the Federation, considering how worried everyone was by its capture by the Dominion. And we've got no earliest contact date for the Bolians. Or, for that matter, for a lot of species, both in and out of the UFP. First contact with the Cardassians? Well, we know of at least one Cardassian exile living on Vulcan well before the TNG era. So it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Really, it would be shorter to list the number of groups we can't see without some fancy temporal rejiggering.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you not seen this abomination 'Enterprise' yet then? Klingons, transporters, 4 days from Qo'Nos, et al. It's not just continuity, its any sense of 'sensible' bloody realism as well. It's poorly thought through, poorly designed, and will probably be poorly executed. Anyone who grew up in the TOS era specifically, will agree. Anyone who began with TNG won't understand this.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's exactly what he did. There's no maybe about it.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Red Admiral, you presume too damn much. I grew up on The Original Series, thank you very much. And a lot of the stuff you and others are harping on is trivial crap.

The date for Klingon first contact is 2218 are guessed by Okuda when he wrote the Chronology. THERE IS NO ON-SCREEN EVIDENCE TO SAY THAT THIS IS THE CORRECT DATE! Okuda even says that this date was CONJECTURE. There was a line of dialog in "Day of the Dove" that said something about first contact with the Klingons being disastrous. Somewhere else, there was "fifty years of aggression." This is backed up by Spock in Star Trek 6 talking about "seventy years of hostilities." But what a damn second, here. We have talk of aggression and talk of the first contact, but the two were not uttered at the same time! Let's add to this in the episode "First Contact" where Picard talks about first contact with the Klingons occurring "centuries ago."

Let's talk about the transporters now. There is, likewise, no established on-screen evidence of the invention of the transporters either! The date arrived by Okuda was, once again, CONJECTURE! We have Geordi's dialog of transporter psychosis having been elimenated "a century ago." Once again, no canon evidence that having transporters in 2150 is contrary to the Trek timeline.

Let's talk about the four days to Q'onos at Warp 4.5 comment. Sternbach in an interview admitted that NONE OF THE SERIES HAS EVER STRICTLY ADHERED TO THE TIME-SPEED MEASUREMENTS! Deep Space 9 is supposed to be on the edge of Federation space, but the Defiant sure could get to Earth in a hurry. Same with the Enterprise-D. She should could get to Earth and much anywhere else in a hurry, too.

I would have figured that those of us trying to explain the new Enterprise would have drilled this your heads by now but the new ship IS NOT CONTRARY TO THE TIMELINE! We only know of one, ONE!, ship from that era: the Daedalus. This new ship could very well be a comtemporary of that time period. To say otherwise would be for to say that a Ford Explorer is contrary to the real universe when all you've ever seen is a Chevrolet Cavalier!

In summary, you are basing your arguments of Star Trek: Enterprise being against Trek history SOLELY on non-canon dates that people guessed about. They may have drawn their conclusions from the episodes and movies, but IT IS STILL NON-CANON CONJECTURE! If it's non-canon, IT IS OPEN TO INTERPRETATION! You're also basing your objections to the ship itself based on non-canon ship designs and by the evidence of only ONE ship that we know of canonically from that time period. ONE SHIP IS NOT AN ADEQUATE SAMPLE!

If you think Berman and Braga are just screwing with Trek history for the hell of it, go right on thinking that. I don't give a damn what the hell you think. But until that series premeires, you have not one iota of proof that they are intentionally screwing with Trek history.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm...

Considering the fact that all that CONJECTURE is what everything in modern Trek has been based on, perhaps you should be a bit less callous.

P.S.,
Okuda-san is a great and honorable man. He knows more about Trek than just about anyone, and he could blow a more continuous story out of his excretory canal than Rick and Brannon could come up with after three series and three films!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps