Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Is the current “buzz” about Enterprise positive? An informal POLL… (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is the current “buzz” about Enterprise positive? An informal POLL…
Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the most recent issue of the Star Trek Communicator, a new interview with Rick Berman has been published. The first statement by the interviewer is something to the effect of:

“The current buzz about Enterprise has been very positive.”

After reading this, I suddenly found myself aghast! The buzz surrounding Enterprise has been positive? At best, I have thought it to be somewhat controversial, at least amongst Star Trek fans. Trying to be objective, I began to think, “Maybe it has been generally positive.” “Maybe the fans that are quite reserved about the new show are in the minority.”

So, I have decided to conduct a little informal, totally unscientific, bulletin board poll. I would be curious to get a general sense of how other fans feel about the show, based on the information that is known about Enterprise thus far.

I have set-up the following rating/ranking guide for your convenience:

1. Enterprise looks to be a fantastic new Star Trek show! Possibly the best Trek ever! I am totally hyped! Berman and Braga are doing a fabulous job! (most excited)

2. While I have a few reservations about how Berman and Braga are producing Enterprise, I am fairly enthused about this newest incarnation of Trek. (somewhat excited)

3. While I am not really that excited about Enterprise, I am not necessarily uninterested either. Some things about the show I like, some I do not. I think I will just have to wait and see... (neutral)

4. Enterprise might turn out to be O.K., but I am not optimistic. Berman and Braga have disenfranchised several fans by screwing-up several aspects of this new Trek series. (somewhat disappointed)

5. With its pathetic “Akiraprise” design and its potential for continuity errors, Enterprise looks to be total disaster! Berman and Braga are obviously idiots! (most disappointed)

Please try to choose the number that most closely relates how you currently feel about Enterprise. Additional comments are obviously welcome.

[ August 23, 2001: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My feelings tend to vary from 2 to 5.

I think that a prequel was the logical next step for the franchise. It is, in theory, a great idea. But I honestly don't think Berman and Braga are the ones to pull it off. Even if they don't manage to slaughter continuity a little more with each episode, I fear that this show has little chance of escaping the Voyager pit of mediocrity.

Unlike most people, I don't blame Voyager on Berman or Braga. At least not the really big problems. Berman also produced TNG and DS9 and neither of them took the "too frightened to be good" attitude. I personally think it’s a UPN thing. The network suits are convinced that their flagship will only fly if it conforms to certain network TV practices.

I see no reason why Enterprise won't be tied down by the same attitude. So it will probably suck.

That being said, I will give it a fair chance—even if it doesn't look promising to begin with. None of the modern Trek series have started out well, and only Voyager never managed to get better. In the early days, I never expect TNG to turn into the wonderful show that it was (or DS9 either for that matter). So I'll watch Enterprise.

For a while anyway.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere between 2 and 4. (No, that wouldn't be 3. 3 is totally unrelated.)
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 or 4

but i'm guessing we are in the minority

there are alot of people out there who believes voy are better than tng.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not according to the ratings.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, somewhere between and

Something along the lines of <=\

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say ~4.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
“The current buzz about Enterprise has been very positive.”

Of course he's going to say that. Just as Lucas most likely has a ton of yes-men telling him how great he is and how wonderful his franchise is doing, Berman's "buzz" is probably coming from the people actually working on the show. I'm sure he hasn't heard shit from people like us.

Somewhere between 2 & 4 (and I don't mean 3 )

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll say two and they're probably talking about the entertainment community.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been and always will be enthused about any new Star Trek project, and I do have certain reservations, mixed though with excitement.

I have to say number 2.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

quote:
I have been and always will be enthused about any new Star Trek project

Me too. I can help being enthused about this one. But this is also the first one (since TNG) that I am worried will suck (though I had no doubt whatsoever that Voyager would be a great show--so you can see how well my uncanny powers of prediction really work).

[ August 23, 2001: Message edited by: Obi Juan ]

--------------------
Rorschach

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I too feared TNG. I first read about it in the newspaper in 1986 and was utterly mortified, I just didn't think it could work with a new crew, Gene Roddenberry or not. I was also distressed that it meant an end to the original crew, believing there would be no more movies for them. It really felt like the end of era. Oh boy was I spectacularly wrong, it just shows....

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you joking when you say VOY is a great show? I hope you are.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.