Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Moments from the "Shapes" Enterprise Promo

Author Topic: Moments from the "Shapes" Enterprise Promo
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TrekWeb is reporting that Trek News has a new and so far unseen promo available. The page at Trek News for the promo is here.

I downloaded and watched it. This promo has no footage previously seen in the other promos that have been aired. I took captured a few of the more interesting moments from it.

First, we have a look at a room on the Enterprise we haven't seen before. It showed Mayweather and Reed looking over computer pads and examining equipment. I think they're talking inventory. What do y'all think this room is?

New Room -- Picture 1
New Room -- Picture 2

Next, we a couple pictures that will probably interest Vogon Poet. Tucker and Archer are pinned down by weapons fire. Then they both jump out and start shooting their weapons.

Close-Up on Tucker's Weapon

Since this differs from the picture we saw of the phase pistol in an earlier promo, I guess that this is the plasma gun. I'm not sure if this next one is from the same scene or not, but, if it is, then the plasma guns are capable of firing in pulses and beams.

Plasma Gun Beams (?)

Next, we have a new shot of the Enterprise's launch bay. The camera angle is under the catwalk and pointing up at the crew members walking across it. On the right is one of the magnetic arms.

Enterprise Launch Bay

The final capture I took from the promo was a closeup of Ensign Sato wearing an EVA suit just prior to breaking out in a scream.

Ensign Sato Picture

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps that room is the torpedo bay?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the room is either the torpedo room that's been hinted at or the armory. We don't see the entire room, here so the launch tubes my be in from of that console Mayweather's sitting at. However, the racks of smaller equipment that we see in the background make me lean more towards this being the armory.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*save* Nice one Siggy. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the gun images, the script would have us believe that Archer and Tucker are pitted against the enemy together in the final moments of the story, aboard the alien helixship where they already have phase pistols. In contrast, underground corridors would become a battlefield early in the story, when the heroes still had plasma guns. Phase pistols were not yet introduced for the first firefight (even though the script contains a non-dialogue error where plasma pistols are identified as phase pistols).

So the pistols visible in the above Archer/Tucker picture would be phase pistols, while the two guns fired by Archer in the snowstorm in protection of T'Pol would be the plasma pistols.

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methinks the armoury and torpedo room are one in the same. The torpedo room supposedly features a dohickey where the torpedo would be raised out of storage below and then shunted into the tube, sorta like a reverse E-refit set situation. I think this is what we see Mayweather and Reed working on in the clip.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AAAAAAARRGGGH!!!!

I tried to make screenshots of the .MOV file, but it just doesn't work.

The thing I wanted to show you is the Enterprise PADDs. The look like regular Pocket PCs/Palmtops (or whatever they are called), with touch screens.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Harry: it took a few minutes to figure out how to do screen captures with Quick Time Player. What you do is pause the movie on the frame you want, then go to the Edit menu and select Copy. Then you paste it into your photo editting program and save it as a jpeg. When you do this, you're going to be prompted to install Quick Time Image (at least it did for me).

Timo: if what you say is correct (I haven't read the script), then Archer really likes to arm himself rather heavily. When T'Pol is fallen over in the snow, Archer runs to her and he's carrying a plasma gun in each hand. In the picture I have up there, you can tell that Archer once again has a phase pistol in each hand. But it still looks like the plasma guns are capable of beam/pulse selection since when Archer runs to T'Pol he's firing pulses and in the cave the weapons are firing beams. Of course, it could be possible that there are two different plasma weapons at work here.

Mark: considering that the Enterprise is so small, I guess having the armory in the same space at the torpedo bay makes some sense. Both would be governed by the chief munitions/weapons officer. We just need to see the forward half of that room.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.