Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Enterprise Timeline from STARTREK.com (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Enterprise Timeline from STARTREK.com
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.startrek.com/launch/keyevents.asp

Pretty consistent with the Chronology, but one worrying inconsistency is the complete omission of the Eugenics Wars. Could it be intentional?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Having learned the lessons of the last World War, the first united Earth government is established. Australia is the only nation that declines membership.

In which episode was that mentioned?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed distressing.

Things tht make me happy though: The picture of the TOs Zefram Cochrane. They are still including TOS references, rather than trying to pretend that old Star Trek never happened , as i was beginning to fear

The Australia thing is a bit of Okuda's Encyclopedia version of history. In 'Attached' Bev and Jean Luc were having breakfast, and discussing the fact that the Kesprytt was not a unified planet, which is a prerequisite for Federation memebership. She was groping for an example of 'what if a planet was peaceful, but not all nations wanted to join the Federation' kind of argument.. so she said 'What if, say, australia, didnt join United Nations. Would Earth not be able to be in the Federation?' I think this was just hyperbole, but Okuda took this as honest-to-god-truth that Australia had not wanted to join the United Earth Government and wrote it in the chronology and encyclopedia, and its been repeatedly quoted and misquoted ever since whenever they refer to the final unification of Earth Government.

Antoher example in my eyes, of Okuda's bad effect on continuity with his sourcebook writing

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Australia thing is conjectured in the Chronology, but is actually the result in two references to the world government in TNG and "First Contact"

In TNG, Data mentioned that Australia joined the world government in 2150, yet in "First Contact" Picard tells us that a united world government was achieved 50 years after Cochrane (2113). This made Okuda wonder if Australia was a late-comer.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

It also seems they shoved the TMP S.S. Enterprise under the carpet.
At least they maintained the Nomad probe, Voyager 6, the S.S. Valiant and the S.S. Mariposa.
Funny to see how the Mir and the Challenger have entered the Star Trek Universe.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did Data make his comment?

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

The same episode in which he stated that TV disappeared in the 2140s and Ireland did something. IIRC, it was the episodes with the S.S. Birdseye crygenic red-necks.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

I'll watch 'The Neutral Zone' again (it was the second thing i ever taped when i was a kid.. 'Conspiracy' was the first, and Remmicks last seen saw a lot of slow mo)..

It was a vital episode because it was the first ever date (2364) given for the Trek universe, but the mention of TV was the 2040s, not 2140s

I thought an Ireland reference want made until two years later when Data made his reunification in 2026 comment.

And none of the other dates had even been decided yet, like the 2161 Federation, so i dont see how he could have said it. it seems to me like you are recalling every date data ever said all mixed together

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It was a vital episode because it was the first ever date (2364) given for the Trek universe, but the mention of TV was the 2040s, not 2140s"

Not to nitpick, but it wasn't the first date given in the Star Trek universe. It was the first time the current date was given though, which I think it what you meant.

The first time the century was given was, IIRC, Star Trek II, which opened with a caption saying "In the 23rd century".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

One more thing about the ST.com timeline:
If they ever depict the 'Warp 5 Complex', it better be some big-ass building housing thousands of scientists, and not some ramshackle log cabin in the Montana woods.

And about the interviews:
Jolene Blalock has been trained very well to say all the things we like to hear

When asked about his first time as Mayweather, Montgomery gave some very evasive and cryptic answers... Something like "hey, I could have been equally happy being a carpenter". Weird.

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

My mistake.. it was the origination of the whole dating system for trek by nailing down TNG season 1 to 2364.
and i agree, ST:II was the first century reference, although most people had put it together by hearing '300 years' said so much in TOS (and ignoring Decker's '500 years comment' and Trelane's '800 years')

Warp 5 'Complex'? What for.. i thought that all of Earth's breakthroughs in theoretical and applied physics, high energy field manipulation, precision machining, metallurgy and spaceflight logistics were made by homeless people in sheet metal shacks?

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

And before you smegheads say it, yes i realize that once they make sheet metal shacks they are no longer homeless...

--------------------

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The canonical evidence-dialogue mind you-in "Up the Long Ladder" is that there was no world government in the early 22nd century. There were the beginnings of a world government. One of the early attempts occured in Europe.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd advise people not to get distressed over the lack of "S.S. Enterprise" references in the above timeline. As far as I can tell, it's supposed to be a canon-based one, and so far there is no canon info on that ringed ship that would have a date stamped to it. All we have is a picture, and whoever made that timeline for Paramount would not have a proper place for the picture in there. An encyclopedia might include it; a compact little chronology would not.

What was the relevant dialogue in "Up the Long Ladder" again? Keep in mind that there still is a France in the 24th century, even though apparently the world has a unified government. So a mention of distinct political entities in "Ladder" need not mean that these entities still *functioned* at the time the Mariposa sailed out.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
Member # 709

I dont have the exact quote, but Data and Picard were doing the research, and while chatting about the time period Picard said 'the first stirrings of a unified world government' in reference to something like the 'European Hegemony' So that means that around the Mariposa's launch date, there was *NOT* a united Earth.

BTW, things that actual characters said in dialogue, on the show, still counts as canon right? Just wondering becasue too many starry eyed fans would rather just believe everything in Okuda's books instead and come up with explanations why the dialogue was wrong..

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps