Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bernd's a star!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bernd's a star!!
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From page 77 of the new "Entertainment Weekly," the one with "WHAT LIES AHEAD" on the cover.

Check it out, yo.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn. I guess the original Willys should be burned for looking too much like the modern Wrangler.

Oh, wait ... is that because Jeep designs the Wrangler to look like the Willy?

Anyhoo, congrats on getting in EW, Bernd.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL... just be careful, I remember something about Paramount shutting down Trek sites a while back. They may not like a site that condemns Star Trek getting in a national magazine.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when you have a Willy next to a Wrangler, you can tell which one came first.

Put the Enterpise NX-01 next to the 1701...you get the idea.

Although I wouldn't say that something looks too "cool" to not be old. I doubt that the creativity of Eaves and Berman is so low that they can't design a cool ship that you could tell was older than the 1701, just as you can tell a Willy is older than a Wrangler. In fact, the current NX-01 design could be tweaked just a little, and it would look more convincing as a predecessor.

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Ace ]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: It's too bad they didn't give a direct link to the page in which you explain in great detail just why the Akiraprise doesn't work. Oh, well. At least they mentioned the homepage.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Put the Enterpise NX-01 next to the 1701...you get the idea

Why? I wouldn't put a Willy next to a Land Runner and demand comparisons, because they're not the same "class" of vehicle.

You'd want to put the Enterprise next to the Akira-Class.

And, frankly, if you put the NX-01 next to the movie Enterprise, you could probably tell which one was "newer." Let's not bash Enterprise because special effects in the sixties really sucked, eh?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the new/old design. Again we're looking back instead of looking forward.

Remember ... in the 60's TOS Enterprise was as good as they could do with the money they had.. I know my opinion here may not be popular, but jesus!! We're in the Millenium .. I'm glad they didn't get stuck designing the NX-01 using the TOS Enterprise as a model... cuz that would have disappointed me.

Are we all gonna get pissed if the helm station has a monitor with an ACTUAL display on them .. cuz they certainly didn't have that in TOS.

The creators took a leap forward into the future from the year 2001 and made a product... They didn't look back from the 24th century.. So let's just try to enjoy the show without hating it because "the ship doesn't look old enough".

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bernd: It's too bad they didn't give a direct link to the page in which you explain in great detail just why the Akiraprise doesn't work. Oh, well. At least they mentioned the homepage.

They can put direct links in print media now?

Assuming people can still type out their own URLs , they did give the URL, so Bernd's page counter must be pretty happy.

As for the "Oh my god its the end of trek because this ship is to cool" issue , it all comes down to..

Cool Ship = New viewers.

Ugly campy ship = happy hardcore fan who will watch the show anyway.

I'm not saying they couldnt design something that would please everyone , oh wait , yeah thats exactly what I'm saying.

Really the only things that makes this ship look futuristic are the details on the hull and some of the extra lighting ,which you should expect from todays detailed 3d effects.

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Obese Penguin ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We're in the Millenium..."

...Falcon? Or did you mean "millennium"? In which case the question is, when were we ever not?

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow. EW must be having a very dry news week.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, Bernd!

As Soundwave says, I just hope that Paramount don't start enforcing their copyright on images Bend's posted at his site. Is Paramount so thin-skinned and vindictive that it would go after him for a bit of criticism?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

HappyTarget
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for HappyTarget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alshrim Dax: I cannot agree more with your statement. Its the old adage, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

--------------------
Jack O'Neal - I like their style. Shoot first, send flowers later.

Todd Flanders - Ow, my fricken ears!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We ARE talking about the same Paramount Pictures here, right?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for the "Oh my god its the end of trek because this ship is to cool" issue , it all comes down to..

Cool Ship = New viewers.

Ugly campy ship = happy hardcore fan who will watch the show anyway.

I think the whole point of the Akiraprise issue is that TPTB could have made a "cool" 22nd century ship that its hardcore fans would have liked. Instead, they blatantly ripped off a design from a really cool ship and turned it into a really wierd ship for its time. I find nothing cool about the NX-01 whatsoever. And I seriously doubt that a cool ship will attract new viewers anyway. People know this is a new Star Trek series, no matter what it's called or how much it's being touted as different. If they're not into Star Trek or science fiction, they're not going to watch the show. Period. It has nothing to do with what the ship looks like.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we are all familiar with the fact that we are getting recycled Voyager scripts from bad writers, so they will need all the new fans they can get. Voyager brought into the Trek fold a lot of dumb fans anyway

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps