Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Bernd's a star!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bernd's a star!!
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I have in my signature for email and newsgroups:

Only those with imagination, intellect,
and common sense could make
Enterprise great, unfornately they
don't have them on staff.

Those without imagination, intellect, and common sense continually come up with the excuse for the Akiraprise of "It's not their fault that VFX in the 60's was crap." It's quite obvious to people like me and Bernd that it is possible to come up with a design that is older than TOS Enterprise but cool for the 21st century.

For more than 20 years such designs have floated around fandom... What Are You People Doing Here!? Some argue for fandom, then look at this obvious rip-off and cheer till they're hoarse. What happened to originality or uniqueness... What Happened To "Where No Trek Has Trekked Before," like we were promised. A reuse of story lines, reuse of ship design... heck we're even reusing the Kirk-Spock-McCoy relationship with Archer-Tucker-Mayweather [it is Mayweather right?].

I can't figure out what is more unbelievable; TPTB feeding these lies, or some of us accepting them. Reminds me of Manion's line from "The District" - "What's worse a lazy cop or a dirty cop?"

Fact: NX-01 is a rip off of the Akira Class.

Fact: NX-01 is unimaginative design for a ship from a period never visited in Star Trek.

-------------------------------
And with that over:

Congradulations Bernd, it's about time that your hard work received more recognition than it does. Your Encyclopedia and ship listing is one of the best out there. Your work in the ASDB and on the Wolf 359 Project is unparalled in attempting to unravel mysteries of Star Trek. Your insight into some of the more profound screw-ups of Star Trek is also quite amazing. Website and graphics design to boot--- Paramount's either stupid or just can't afford you

Keep up the good work for all Trekkies wishing to keep Star Trek, Star Trek.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fact: I posted that to show that one of us got a little massmedia recognition.

Fact: All y'alls used it to once again pull out your pathetic little cocks & wave them around at each other over FUCKING MOOT POINTS. Get OVER it.

Just say, "Hey. that's neat," keep your fucking mouths shut, & move on. Not everything requires anal-ysis.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um.. yeah, congrats Bernd! I really have liked your site for a long time now.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk/Spock/McCoy -> Archer/T'Pol/Tucker
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk/Spock/McCoy --> Picard/Data/Worf --> Sisko/Odo/Dax --> Janeway/Seven/Doctor

Every series has a "big three" of popular characters. Every series has a character who represents an "outside view" looking into humanity (Data, Odo, Seven, the Doctor).

Such comparrisons cannot be used to detract from one series if they are not used to detract from the others.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've misunderstood.
Theyve said that the characters of Archer, T'Pol and Tucker are going to specifically play off of each other like the K-S-M trio. Tucker is going to bait and verbally parry with T'Pol just like McCoy did to Spock and T'Pol is going to try and balance Archer's brash side, just as Spock did to Kirk, and Tucker will be trusted friend and confidante to Archer just like McCoy was to Kirk. Supposedly this will be the center of many of the shows.
None of the character combinations you mentioned had a dynamic similar to that, and its something the producers feel is needed. Many of the post-TNG series have been such ensemble casts that even though they have 'main' characters, many of those traits are divided up between seven or nine characters, and sometimes specific characters didnt interact much for whole seasons. (for example.. in nearly every TOS show, we got to see Kirk Spock and McCoy interacting, but the Picard-Worf-Data that you mentioned, i can only remember a few good Data/Worf moments, and they werent even in the same episodes as the Worf/Picard moments or the Data/Picard episodes. When TNG and beyond focused on one character, it was usually to the exclusion of the other characters.) They wanted to make the Tuvok-Janeway-Neelix dynamic kind of like that, but it was obvious Janeway couldnt stand Neelix sometimes and neither could Tuvok, and Tuvok and Janeway really didnt have the friendship of Kirk and Spock, and Neelix really wasnt important to any of the stories anyway. And then they had to focus on so many Seven episodes, and Chakotay and Janeway had a lot of character interactions to be shown, so that kind of 'command dynamic' got lost in the blender.

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The producers are trying to do something that made TOS popular...I just hope they succeed at it. We can all bitch and moan about what we don't like and what we want to change...but are we in charge? Nope. So until someone gets 10 billion to buy out Star Trek and make it into their own image... just don't go crazy on what the producers do. Besides, if I did get too involved with the way Star Trek: Enterprise looks, I'd be in a loony bin already.

Oh Bernd, congrats...

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: Michael_T ]

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, thanks, thanks!

I was urgently looking for a scan of it, and in all the excitement I didn't see that there was already one in this thread. Thanks for scanning, Shik!

Coincidentally, it was on the same day that I set up my Enterprise FAQ which new visitors may have found as the first thing when coming to the homepage. I don't know if this is good or bad. Anyway, if Enterprise should turn out good, lots of people will come and say "Ha, you should have known better!" and I will be just glad that the Star Trek Universe is saved. If Enterprise fails, I will get a full-page article in EW. ;-)

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but you'd have to wait roughly seven years
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a problem, Bernd. I was in the living room reading it & I scared the girls when I yelled, "Holy fucking negro JESUS!! Bernd's in EW!!"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Holy fucking negro JESUS!!

Controversial. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, as best as I've ever been able to gather, Jesus was more Middle Eastern.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayll, slap mah thigh! Are you-a insinuating-uh, suh, that Our Lord was one of them theyah Ay-rabs?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Jesus was a bad-ass biker chick or something similar...
capped
Member # 709

isnt it spelled 'Jebus'?

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps