Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » [No Spoilers]I Have Seen "Broken Bow"... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: [No Spoilers]I Have Seen "Broken Bow"...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And it is good.

Technobabble = minimum
Action = maximum
Character development = not too much
Tech = reasonable
First impressions = good

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark,

Were you pro- or anti- Enterprise before seeing it?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was decidedly neutral. Now, I'm becoming more positive about the whole thing.

The key thing for me is that the adage of "fresh coat of paint" seems to be holding true. Visually, the show is fantastic. The writing is par for Trek, but with lots of signs that it will be different. Time will tell for that, but while we're waiting to see if the show's writing really *is* different, we can look at some really pretty pictures.

Mark

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I'm not going to get to see "Broken Bow" for another few days. My communications group is meeting Wednesday at 8pm to go over our presentation. So, I'll be missing everything except about the first 30 to 45 minutes. I'm going to have to get my parents to record it for me so that I can watch it this weekend.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im watching it alone tomorrow night and then i am picking up a friend to watch it again after i tape it.

I like your review, but the action part has always scared me.. the first review i read of someone who read the script stated that 'This is really what Star Trek is about .. a lot less talking and a lot more shoot-em-up action'

I wonder if the person in question has ever seen 'The Cage'?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's hope Enterprise doesn't turn into a cheap (and brainless) action show. But somehow I doubt B&B would care about it - Roddenberry's dead, right?
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
people seem to love to think they personally know the producers. eh. anyway. I'm hoping theres a bit more action the the previous treks, as long as its paced well, it would flood over into plot development.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get to see it at ALL since NONE of the cable systems here carry a UPN affiliate. This place is fucked UP, man...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark: Continuity?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Tahna: There were few glitches, surprisingly enough. For example, a couple planet names we know were dropped, though that didn't make much sense if they didnt' get encountered by Starfleet until the 2260s. And for the first ship able to go so fast, the humans didn't seem all that thrilled that they're able to suddenly be on par with everyone else out there.

And yes, everything *does* look more advanced and high-tech than TOS. But as it's been hashed out here, there's not much to be done about it. The fandom has been able to rationalize just about every discrepency between Trek series, and this will just be the latest challenge. There *will* be huge continuity errors to come, but for the most part we'll just take 'em in stride and do our best explaining them.

Mark

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't get to see it at ALL since NONE of the cable systems here carry a UPN affiliate. This place is fucked UP, man..."

Haven't you moved multiple states, twice in the last few months, to follow some girls around? Just move again to someplace that shows it...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...turn into a cheap (and brainless) action show. But somehow I doubt B&B would care about it - Roddenberry's dead, right?

DS9 was done after his death, but that show has awesome writing. Hmmm. Geee.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only moved once, Timmay ("TIMMAY!!). You're thinking of my possible move to Georgia re: the whole Heather fiasco.

My new game plan re: women is to entice underage girls in a Svengali-like fashion.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Can I watch? And videotape? And blackmail?

Mark

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

"Blackmail is such an UGLY word.....I prefer 'extortion!'" --Bender

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps