Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Review of Broken Bow. (spoilers!!!!) First review I think! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Review of Broken Bow. (spoilers!!!!) First review I think!
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please forgive the bad spelling and punctuation. I wrote this in a very quick manner so I can pride my self with posting the very first Enterprise review on Flare.

The premier was quite interesting. As expected, Berman re-wrote just about everything established in TOS in the very first episode and overall, it didn't fit with the "normal" Star Trek timeline, however, IMO, it did provide an interesting story involving the Sebulan and these shodowy guys from the future. (Evil Braxton from series ? maybe??) The special effects were good and I discovered that the Enterprise wasn't that identical from the Akira class ship. However, they still do look similar. The Enterprise can apparently take one hell of a beating despite the fact that it doesn't have any shields.

Basically the whole thing starts when a Klingon ship crash lands at a farm with 2 Sebulan operatives chasing him. After a spine chilling display from one of the Sebulan flatening itself out to slip under a door, the Klingon manages to kill them both only to get blasted by a local farmer. The klingon survived and while Archer and company was trying to get him back to his homeworld they waste no time in letting him get kidnapped by the Sebulan. After a trip to Rigel 10 (a planet that is undoubtably part of the galactic 3rd world) and Archer getting shot in the leg by a Sebulan phaser, the crew finds out that the Klingon was trying to get a message to the Klingon Empire informing them that rouge factions of the Empire haven't been staging the attacks against other rouge factions or something like that. It was the Sebulans all along. Now the crew of the Enterprise must find the Klingon. They follow a Sebulan ship to their home base inside a large Gas/liquid planet where they promptly find the kidnapped Klingon inside a not-so-massive structure mad from seemingly hundreds of tiny Sebulan fighters. After capturing a fighter the crew pulls the whole Trojan Horse thing to infiltrate the base, grab the Klingon and bolt! A while later they deliver the Klingon to the homeworld.

I'm not gonna bore you with other details, but over all it was a good story and it's obviously not the last we've seen of the Sebulan or their shadowy leader. If I may suggest one thing, if it's not too late for you. Don't have dinner while watching this episode of Enterprise. Especally during the scene where Archer prides himself with his first Sebulan kill on Enterprise and Phlox decided to pride himself with his first Sebulan disection on Enterprise! YEE-HAW!

Good points:

Good story.

Kick ass effects.

The Enterprise wasn't so Akira-like as previously thought.

A good dose of T@A during the Rigel 10 scenes. (a.k.a. the galactic third world.)

Kick ass cameo from Ol' Z as Lily would call him. (Was that the same actor from ST:FC or somebody else?)

Bad points: Berman, to nobody's surprise, re-wrote everything that has been established in TOS. (phasers, transporters, early first contact with the Klingons, the fact that we even MADE contact with the Sebulan ect. ect.)

T'Pol is rather touchy and emotional one moment and just like a typical Vulcan the next. Typical mood-swings that are associated with Vulcan PMS?

Overall 1-10 rating: 8

Aside from the fact that Berman decided to ignore what had been established in the previous series, he has done quite well with the Enterprise preimer. However, I'm not celebrating just yet! I think all of you remember that the Voyager premier was quite good too, and just look what happened!

Bon apetite!!! Or something similar.

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
MIB
Ex-Member

One more thing. Try not to get freaked out by Phlox's super-ultra smile.
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
man that smile scared me!

also the shadowy leader was a romulan...bwhahahahahaha

betting good money here boys

the whole trojan horse bit sucked....the sulliban sensors must be crappier than our heros on the Pre-E.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious about some points...

quote:
Originally posted by MIB:
Berman, to nobody's surprise, re-wrote everything that has been established in TOS. (phasers,

There were no phasers in Enterprise... where is the contradiction?

quote:
transporters

The original series never mentioned when transporters were invented. "Realm of Fear" (TNG) establishes that they were invented before 2209. Enterprise is before 2209... where is the contradiction?

quote:
Originally posted MIB:
early first contact with the Klingons

The original series never mentioned when first contact with the Klingons occurred. "First Contact" (TNG) establishes that it was centuries before the 2360s. Enterprise is centuries before the 2360s... where is the contradiction?

quote:
the fact that we even MADE contact with the Sebulan

The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager never mentioned the fact that we even MADE contact with the Organians in the original series, a race certainly as mention-worthy as the Suliban. Are these series, then, inconsistent as well? Assuming the Suliban essentially keep quiet after the 2150s, why would the be mentioned later?

quote:
Aside from the fact that Berman decided to ignore what had been established in the previous series

Please provide an example. I haven't seen any, yet.

Just for fun, a few of the nice continuity touches.

• The doors sound like the original series doors.
  • The communicators have the original series flick-chirp.
  • The science station has a pop-up monitor, just like Spock's did.
  • Sato used an earpiece, just like Uhura did.

[ September 26, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
    Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

• Malnurtured Snay
    Blogger
    Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    MIB has apparently spent too much time listening to all the nay-sayers without spending one moment actually analyzing any of what they're bitching about.

--------------------
    www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
    Ex-Member

When they mention "phase pistols" I assume they mean phasers. Either way, I stand corrected. Would anyone mind if I started regarding Enterprise to be kind of the re-make of TOS and that TOS is unofficial trek?
    Malnurtured Snay
    Blogger
    Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Yes.

--------------------
    www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
    Ex-Member

hmmmm I should have worded that better. ok. I'm not gonna consider the "look" of TOS official, but I am gonna continue to recognize the stories as official Trek.

It will be interesting to see just how the Vulcans got from over-protective and restrictive to "just another member of the Federation" within a mere 100 or so years. With Vulcans, that is hardly a long time.

Ryan McReynolds
    Minor Deity
    Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    quote:
    hmmmm I should have worded that better. ok. I'm not gonna consider the "look" of TOS official, but I am gonna continue to recognize the stories as official Trek.

That's similar to how I do it. Really, though, the "look" could stay the same; it's how they achieve the look that I mentally edit. For example, in my internal version of the original series:

• Those bridge screens actually change to show relevant information and it's animated.
  • The alien planets have horizons farther than ten meters away, and occasionally clouds in the sky.
  • The lighting and standard television makeup aren't 60-style, so nobody looks so greasy.

Stuff like that. It's not neccessary to change production design so much as production techniques. The Enterprise can look the same, just make it CGI and light it realistically.

quote:
    With Vulcans, [100 years] is hardly a long time.

Indeed. If T'Pol is 65 in 2151 (as Jolene Blalock says in interviews), then she'd be 170 at the beginning of the original series, the equivalent of maybe 60 for a human. It's only a matter of time before this finds its way into a novel...

--------------------

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

• Sol System
    two dollar pistol
    Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Though I can't, of course, say where Enterprise is heading, I think we should take into account that the situation is going to change a great deal between this time and the 24th century. (Keeping in mind that the Vulcans didn't seem a very big part of the Federation during TOS. Not that the Federation itself was featured all that much.)

For one thing, the Vulcans might be aware of some potentially dangerous aliens not too far from Earth that might even have some sort of connection with Vulcan. Why, if humans just ran out and made independant contact with these mysterious aliens, they might develop all sorts of crazy ideas...

MIB
    Ex-Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:

That's similar to how I do it. Really, though, the "look" could stay the same; it's how they achieve the look that I mentally edit. For example, in my internal version of the original series:

Those bridge screens actually change to show relevant information and it's animated.

The alien planets have horizons farther than ten meters away, and occasionally clouds in the sky.

The lighting and standard television makeup aren't 60-style, so nobody looks so greasy.

Stuff like that. It's not neccessary to change production design so much as production techniques. The Enterprise can look the same, just make it CGI and light it realistically.

Similar? That is exactly how I do it. I also invision the Enterprise to look more metallic and high-tech rather than it looking like a plastic model hung up on strings. I also invision something in the engineering room. A warp core, anti-matter tank, ANYTHING!! One more thing I do is invision exactly what the dot-of-light ships ACTUALLY look like. IE: the Gorn and the Orion vessels. I usually invision them to look as they do in the game Starfleet Command.

Harry
    Stormwind City Guard
    Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    A Question from someone who won't be able to see Enterprise this year:

Where there any tricorder-ish devices? If so, how did they look?

--------------------
    Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Ryan McReynolds
    Minor Deity
    Member # 28

quote:
    Originally posted by Harry:
    Where there any tricorder-ish devices? If so, how did they look?

Archer used a smallish scanner that was about the size of a PDA. They never called it a "tricorder" and they never mentioned its capabilities, so it may be a specialized life-form reader (since that was it's use).

--------------------

capped
    I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
    Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    My friend and i theorized it was a special effect detector.. it went crazy when he found future guys corridor.

--------------------
    "Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
    two dollar pistol
    Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Interesting to note that the scanner could detect the weird room, but apparently not tell Archer anything concrete about it. He certainly didn't seem to expect it to be as weird as it was.
      This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps