Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Review of Broken Bow. (spoilers!!!!) First review I think! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Review of Broken Bow. (spoilers!!!!) First review I think!
Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to concur with Ryan on all points. I felt the new show remained consistent, and that they adequately created props to look like they are futuristic for us, but old for TNG. All in all, I loved the new show.

One gripe: The Klingon Homeworld is only 4 days away from Earth????

Lance
www.thetrekker.org

--------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://www.thetrekker.org

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MIB:
I also invision the Enterprise to look more metallic and high-tech rather than it looking like a plastic model hung up on strings.

Ironic, since the original Enterprise model was neither plastic nor hung on strings.

It was mostly painted wood, and held on a stand for filming not unlike later starships. Furthermore, the actual model is far more detailed than people realize from watching the show. In my opinion, the original Enterprise looked more like this or this (with proper lighting, of course) than this. Note that all three images are of the same model, though in the first two it had been restored by Ed Miarecki for the Smithsonian exhibit.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am somewhat partial to the "Trials and Tribble-ations" version, though. What a pretty ship.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I am somewhat partial to the "Trials and Tribble-ations" version, though. What a pretty ship.

Yeah, that was nice. Actually, I'd like to see someone with 3D modeling skills take an accurate Constitution mesh and apply a movie-style Aztec pattern, leaving the hull markings, main section lines, and windows alone. No structural changes of any kind, just the hull. If I could see any evaluate it, that might ultimately be my preferred version of the original Enterprise... then again, it might not.

--------------------

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be cool to see CGIs of the evolution from TOS to TMP 1701 (partially) shown by the 'in between ships' in Ships of the Star Fleet.. the
>Bon Homme Richard-class -- shows the difference between the Cage enterprise (nacelle spires, tall bridge, big deflector) and the TOs enterprise (which had nacelle globes on the back & a smaller deflector)
>Achernar-class (the version with all the grids on the hull like the Smithsonian revision),
>Endeavour-class.. same as TOS revised Const., but with non-cylindrical warp nacelles
>Constitution(II)-class (basically the Phase II Enterprise.. same saucer with grid, but with torpedo tubes, docking ports and very primitive versions of the TMP nacelles)
>Tikopai-class (now with the TMP saucer, TOS engineering hull with TMP detailing, but in-between versions of the engines and struts)

Of course, if any of those vessels were to be canon, they would be Constitution-class (variant) but its really interesting to see the evolution. If they ever do a special edition of 'The Ultimate computer' it would be nice if each of the four constitutions present had different features like those described to discern them in the chaos.

the new show was cool too...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
>Achernar-class (the version with all the grids on the hull like the Smithsonian revision)

The Smithsonian "revision" didn't add anything, it just made the already existing lines more noticeable; they were there from the beginning, but before the renovation they were just pencilled lines.

The Achernar is Franz Joseph's highly innaccurate version of the Constitution from his Tech Manual with a larger, curvy secondary hull, reshaped nacelles, and a much more rounded "teardrop" assembly under the bridge.

But yes, it does have the hull grids.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you got it right about the bridge dome thing.. but the grid marks are a little more controversial.. Original model maker Richard C. Datin said in the July 1996 issue of Cinefantastique that, "The original model was smooth and didn't show any lines or marks, except for the lettering and numbers." The pencil lines were theorized to have been added by those who restored the original model when it toured various locales during the 1970s. This is also when the nacelle domes were lost or destroyed and replaced with simple 'blinkies.' Photos of the model from 1974 show no grids or markings, but in pictures taken by Jeff Brown in 1977 at the "Life in the Universe" exhibition at the Smithsonian, grid lines are evident. They appear to have been drawn on the upper saucer section with a pencil, but when they were added to the model (and by whom) is unclear. The grids were maintained as painting details in the 84 and again in the massive repainting Ed Miarecki did in 91, which leaves the Enterprise in its current (IMO overpainted) condition. So its definitely a revision, since the grid lines were not added until several years after the model was filmed, and never appeared on screen.
see The IDIC Page- Enterprise model history

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Me too.

Was that CGI or fancy photograpy of the original model?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new model, actually.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
Member # 709

built to exactly one-half the scale of the original model by Greg Jein. And masterfully so too.. it proves that if they went back to do TOS effect scenes wit new models it could be done gracefully.

--------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
So its definitely a revision, since the grid lines were not added until several years after the model was filmed, and never appeared on screen.

In any case, I definitely prefer the grid in place, and fairly strong. While Jeffries wanted the hull to be mostly smooth, every other starship has had something to break it up. The grid-lined version looks more consistent, and much more realistic, to my eyes.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

Actually, the Trials & Tribbleations Enterprise had very slight grid lines in the pattern established in the revision, so they are filmed canon. I dont mind them either..
But i DO mind the grid lines as they appear on the Miarecki repainting in the Smithsonian are grotesque. He applied so much shadow (since the lines arent structural details but painted on, they need definition) but the ship looks burnt and rusted because of the heavily applied color. THAT is a violation of the original look of the ship

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it looks like an old, beat up ship.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

quote:
Originally posted by Obi Juan:
Yeah, it looks like an old, beat up ship.

It was twenty years old... no other main series ship has been more than a year old when we see it.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

But the Enterprise wasnt supposed to look beat up during TOS.. it had been around the block a few times, but was still Starfleet's finest. The Miarecki repainting shows it if it had not been refit, or had been trapped in the Delta Quadrant for seven years or something, but is completely unrelated to the ship we saw in TOS.. It looks fine in 'Trials & Tribbleations without all the ugly shit on the hull!

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps