Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » SPOILER: Klingon Homeworld only 4 days away? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SPOILER: Klingon Homeworld only 4 days away?
Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Archer said "four days there, four days back" on the trip to Qronons...that would place the Klingon Homeworld less than 5 light years from Earth at warp 4! Does that seem right?

Lance
www.thetrekker.org

--------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://www.thetrekker.org

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they're God's days. Note from "Oh, God!":

"You have to remember, one of my days is not the same as one of yours."
"What do you mean?"
"When I woke up this morning, Sigmund Freud was still in medical school."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not just that, but it really looks like these humans haven't gotten around too much. Tucker's only been to one planet aside from Earth, while the crew doesn't even know the systems in their neighborhood. I guess the Vulcans have been imposing some kind of flight sanctions, which only allowed certain people, like Mayweather's father, to get out. Either that, or warp-capable ships, at least those that could travel some distance, were an extreme rarity.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yakaspat The Trekker:
Archer said "four days there, four days back" on the trip to Qronons...that would place the Klingon Homeworld less than 5 light years from Earth at warp 4! Does that seem right?

Right? No. Consistent with the usual warp-time mess? Absolutely. Enterprise probably uses the warp drive Kirk had, the one that can handle 1000 light-years in less than one day ("That Which Survives") and 30,000 light-years in a few (The Final Frontier). You know, the one that mysteriously disappeared in the following century.

Ironically, Kronos being four days from Earth makes Enterprise more consistent with the original series than all the others!

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was certainly a different part of the planet, with almost no resemblance to the bleak High Council building showcased throughout TNG and DS9.

I was somewhat disappointed at not spotting any of those alleged TOS style Klingons. Was that just some fan's fever dream, or did I miss something?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think i figured it right.. Archer said they were going 30,000,000 kilometers/second when the ship was at warp 4.4.. roughly consistent with the old Franz Joseph scale.. 4.4 cubed is 85.184, meaning warp 4.4 is 85.184 times the speed of light, and 85.184 times 299,752.458 (speed of light) kilometers per second is 25,537,520.742 km/second.. pretty close

30,000,000 km/s is 100.082 times the speed of light, approximately warp factor 4.6427 on the old scale.. which they definitely seem to be using

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I was somewhat disappointed at not spotting any of those alleged TOS style Klingons. Was that just some fan's fever dream, or did I miss something?

That was in the "annotated" final draft of the script. That version also included the make-out session with T'Pol and Tucker in the decon chamber... I'm increasingly thinking that version was somewhat hoaxed, taking the actual (and consistent) script and adding some things.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note to self.. rewrite scripts, post online. Watch fanboys foam at mouths..

nah, too cruel..

I wanted to see some smooth heads, too.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There has been some speculation on Usenet revolving around the Suliban's advanced genetic engineering technology and its possible uses as regards fueling an internal Klingon conflict...
capped
Member # 709

waitaminnit.. hmm.. sulibans change shape at will due to genetic engineering... klingons and suliban are clashing.. later klingons change shape and back again inexplicably.

Maybe we will be all right after all

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That wasnt a diffrent planet. That is the klingon homeworld pre-praxis explosion.
capped
Member # 709

Nobody said it was a different planet. A different part of the planet

quote:
It was certainly a different part of the planet, with almost no resemblance to the bleak High Council building showcased throughout TNG and DS9.

You see, many planets have more than one city, or weather condition. For example, I live on Earth. I dont live in San Francisco, and its not sunny right now. But whenever you see Earth on Star Trek, its usually in San Francisco and its usually sunny. Some faulty logic says that all of Earth must be San Francisco, and it MUST be sunny all the time.

--------------------

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ironically, Kronos being four days from Earth makes Enterprise more
consistent with the original series than all the others!

It's also consistent with TMP, since Kirk told Scotty V'Ger was less than 3 days away from Earth, and that was before V'Ger destroyed the Epsilon 9 station. V'Ger was travelling slower than warp 7, since the Enterprise reached it more than a day away from Earth (earlier dialogue put Enterpise's travel time at warp 7 at 20.1 hours).

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a point here ... but since you're supposed to be avoiding spoilers, some people might be kind of irritated that you put what you were trying to avoid spoiling (hence, SPOILER in the thread title (KLINGON HOMEWORLD ONLY 4 DAYS AWAY?). Kind of makes putting up a spoiler warning um ... well, why?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez... Next we're going to have people complain when there's a thread called "Next 'Enterprise' episode"... "What? They made another episode?! I didn't want to know that 'til I see it! Argh!"
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps