Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » An Aspect of "Enterprise" ($$$)

Author Topic: An Aspect of "Enterprise" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, here's my take on the "Temporal Cold War," based on what we've seen so far...

When?

Granted, "when" is a subjective term when dealing with temporal mechanics, but I mean the timeframe in which the powers behind this cold war exist. A lot of people seem to think it has to be the 29th Century, but that simply isn't so. There's a whole lot of time between the 24th Century and the 29th Century, and certainly a lot more time after the 29th Century. For all we know, Braxton's era comes centuries before or after the cold war.

Who?

So far, our only clue as to who is involved in this cold war is Future Guy (I'm not ready to call him Evil Future Guy yet, we don't really know his motives). Future Guy (or Humanoid Figure, as he's offically called) is a shadowy figure dressed in black. Furthermore, he appears to be human or a humanoid with very minor prosthetics. I'd like to point out now that, while its certainly possible, I won't start annoying people by claiming the Krenim are behind this all.

Furthermore, because the term "cold war" seems to imply there are major powers behind this, and that Future Guy is not just some nutcase out to alter history, we might very well see other Future Guys. Who says the Future Guy in "Broken Bow" is the only person allowed to contact the Suliban?

What?

So far, the Suliban only seem to have been ordered to disrupt the Klingon Empire. Since our knowledge of the 22nd Century is quite limited, I won't speculate as to how this benefits Future Guy's side.

Why?

Like I said, we know little about why Future Guy would want to help the Suliban or trouble the Klingons.

How?

The Suliban leader communicates with Future Guy in his temporal chamber. The temporal weirdness in this chamber seems to affect both Future Guy and those in the chamber proper. We don't know how the Suliban got the chamber. I doubt they built the thing in hopes that somebody fighting a temporal cold war would show up and tell them cool stuff. I have a bizzare theory that the chamber isn't in the present. The Suliban leader was just walking along one day, stepped through a doorway, and wound up in the temporal chamber. He and Future Guy just agreed that if he wanted to return to the chamber later, he's step through a certain doorway. It's weird, I know, but it sort of makes sense...

Effects?

Here, I'll go into speculation about how Enterprise will relate to the other series. The way I see it, there are a few possibilities, but only a few are viable:

1. Alterations in timeline are not corrected, all series except Enterprise never happened. This would seriously tick off the fans, so I doubt this is what happens.

2. Alterations in timeline are corrected, Enterprise never happens. This would seriously tick off Enterprise fans, plus it makes the whole series pretty pointless. I doubt this happens, either.

3. No corrections are needed, temporal cold war is supposed to happen. All series happen. The best bet in my mind, but you would think Future Guy would know of the futility of his own actions. Perhaps not, if knowledge of the temporal cold war is kept to Archer, the Suliban, and maybe a few others.

4. No corrections are needed, Enterprise takes place in alternate universe due to time travel causing branching timelines. All futures happen. Also a possiblity, many fans already seem set on considering Enterprise an alternate universe. But it kind of makes the idea of a temporal cold war seem pointless, because there's no danger of anything we care about getting altered.

And so ends my treatise on the temporal cold war. Tear it to shreds at your discretion.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about this, but then forgot all my speculations. Once thing I did consider was the Mirror Universe. Now, what we think of as the Mirror Universe is actually three separate entities, in my mind:

1. The TOS "Mirror, Mirror" universe: Everyone is evil instead of good; things seem to happen pretty much the same as in the regular universe (a pretty silly idea).

2. The "Dark Mirror" universe: A novel by Diane Carey, this carries the Mirror Universe into the TNG era, dispenses with any changes Mirror Spock might have been able to make, and presents (in my opinion) a far more realistic idea of how an alternate universe might work. Proposes an interesting idea, that humanity started off just fundamentally bad in this dimension, and got worse. Not populare with the fans, because Enterprise + Dolphins = Seaquest.

3. The DS9 Mirror Universe: Spock's actions weakened the Empire to the extent that it collapsed against a Klingon-Bajoran-Cardassian alliance. Humans, being losers, are a bit nicer now. Women are, by and large, lesbians. Basically an excuse for the cast to stretch their acting muscles. . .

It'd be really nifty if they could tie it in somehow, and get back to what the Mirror Universe was all about originally, and not the joke that DS9 made it. Since Braga has no reason to love the Ds9 version, it could be encouraging. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I agree that a Mirror Universe tie in would be interesting, it would still have to be in the future of the Mirror universe from Enterprise's point of view. Because, until "Mirror, mirror", the two universes were not aware of each other.

(says the guy who hasn't seen "Broken Bow" yet)

The idea that he's a Romulan out to interrupt Human/Klingon relations doesn't sound like a bad idea, but Romulans aren't interesting enough. Besdies, aren't Rommies supposed to feature heavily in the new Trek movie? Hmmm...Could be a tie in there, though.

I'm still of the opinion that future guy will turn out to be someone we already know. Better not be Kirk. Better not be Braxton. Better not be Janeway.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Women are, by and large, lesbians."

I could never quite figure out whether that was a good thing or a bad thing.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
The idea that he's a Romulan out to interrupt Human/Klingon relations doesn't sound like a bad idea, but Romulans aren't interesting enough.

A Temporal Cold War sounds like something far more grand that the Romulans being pissy, anyway.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hope they dont end up meeting any Romulans face-to-face.. thatd be the last straw for TOS fans. If they end up doing the Romulan wars arc at the end of the show (which i think would be too DS9-ish for Braga's taste i think)
From a political standpoint, Earth or the Terrans being attacked by Romulans in a few years would provide a breakthrough to the Vulcans holding Earth back, as Earth would very definitely need to mobilize to defend itself. And possibly a logical step towards Federating their worlds
But the show is so damn optimistic right now id hate to see it get bogged down in a war.. while DS9 was interesting, the war made for a very depressing couple of years, losing a lot of Star Trek's joy and fun aspects. And it also gave in to a lot of fanboys who think that Star Trek should only be about wars.

They should remember that face to face communications between them are impossible and they should walk away with no knowledge of what the Romulans look like. Its possible that the

$ $TAR TREK X MINOR $POILER
$
$

Reman$ from Remu$ who are due to be introduced in Neme$i$ will do the talking for the Romulan$, thereby fixing that continuity. If ENT and TNG producers are willing to work together on that point

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.