Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $POILER: Are the Vulcans right? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $POILER: Are the Vulcans right?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested to know what the reaction is to being on the wrong side of an overapplied application of a version of the Prime Directive? Are the Vulcans right to limit humans to our own solar system for 88 years after we get faster than light? It seemed harsh, being judged by smug and superior @$$h0le$ who have condemned you to fail at galactic politics before we even try. I understand giving a species the opportunity to succeed or fail on its own, such as not 'giving' us warp five-drives, but what does it mean when we have the ability to boldly go and are limited because of a presumption that we will fail?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel that they may be right in that humanity wasn't ready to join the interstellar community, but they had no right to hold us back.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, see, they weren't holding us back, they just weren't giving us their technology. Listen to Archer's speech: he's pissed because if the Vulcans had given his father access to their technology, Archer's father would've succeeded.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my Theory of Enterprise. We'll see what happens in seven years.

Anyway:

The Vulcans are preparing humanity for a confrontation with the Romulans.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's a good reason for them to keep quiet about what they know of the Romulans.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, see, we don't really know if the Vulcans knew about the Romulans, at least in any specific modern detail. But that's my theory, anyway.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a good reason why the Vulcan might have been holding the humans back: the galaxy might have been full of xenophobic races who would wipe out any just-warp-capable races, on the grounds that they might be a threat to them in the future. Dunno how this Trek's map differs from the other Treks, but Vulcan could be a good distances away, prevent the Vulcan fleet from protecting Earth without exposing their own planets. Maybe the Vulcans were trying to make sure Earth was capable of defending it self (to some extent) against aggressors before letting them run out there, causing trouble. I mean, for crying out loud, they don't even have shields! The moment they come across something that isn't particle or plasma based, like the disruptor, they're gonna start getting holes in their hull.

*still waiting for whatever started the almost hundred year of bad blood between the Klingons and the humans*

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

It probably already started. A captured Klingon officer who can't escape without the help of humans?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I'm not saying it's a downright copy, I do see similarities between Enterprise's potential arc and the Babylon 5 movie "In the Beginning." In the movie, humans have become the up-and-coming new spacefaring race, and want to expand their territory. This includes making contact with the Minbari for the purpose of testing the Minbari's military strength. The Centauri ambassador Londo Mollari knows about the Minbari & tries to tell the humans that a first contact of this nature will most likely end up with the human race becoming extinct. Of course, the too-big-for-their-britches humans ignore Londo's advice, & the rest is history.

I can see the Vulcans (Soval especially) as the Londo figure, desperately trying to convince the humans not to go too far because they may not be ready for the consequences of their actions. I can also see the Klingons as the Minbari, with the whole "disastrous first contact" thing actually still to come, barring the events in Broken Bow. If this is indeed what Enterprise is about, then I will be quite intrigued as to how things will turn out.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not ONLY are the Vulcans preparing humanity for the Romulans, but the Romulans from the future are using the Suliban to split apart the Klingon Empire in the past.

(the dark figure from the future was a Romulan)

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(the dark figure from the future was a Romulan)

!!!!????
how do we know this?!...

--------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it wasn't blurred very well...

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and yet we still didn't see any pointed ears or upswept eyebrows. It could have been a Romulan, or a human, or a Vulcan, or a Trill, or a Bajoran, or a Scalosian, or an Ullian, or an Eminian, or any of the many near-human aliens Trek has shown us, or any of the easily inferred near-human aliens it hasn't shown us yet.

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

capped
Member # 709

Yeah, I mean i dont have digital cable (my UPN viewing mode is usually holding a coat hanger) but I have the episode pretty clear and im pretty sure there isnt much more to see than what i did. And keeping in mind that if they didnt want us to know that they wouldnt show it at this point.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... I feel I should point out that people seem to have forgotten the Federation's policies regarding giving away technology. Remember in VOY, when they could get out of trouble by handing out advanced tech, but they wouldn't? Presumably, what the Vulcans are doing is just an early version of the same principle. They expect us to figure things out ourselves, not just to be handed everything on a pointy-eared platter...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps