Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $POILER: Are the Vulcans right? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $POILER: Are the Vulcans right?
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That platter has ears!
And pointy ones at that!

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, see, we don't really know if the Vulcans knew about the Romulans,
at least in any specific modern detail. But that's my theory, anyway.

Not much, if you go by "Balance Of Terror". Spock flat out states, "No human, Romulan, or ally has ever seen the other." Moreover, in the later briefing room sequence he says, "and if the Romulans are an offshoot of my Vulcan blood, and i think this likely." If the Vulcans knew they were related to the Romulans in 2151, shouldn't Spock know that in 2266?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A) They might make a logical hypothesis that the Romulans may be an off-shoot of their race. Because they're unable to learn this for certain, they don't make it common knowledge.

B) Fearful of a reprisal against Vulcans if it turns out that a potential enemy (which is all they are at this point) is directly related to their race, the Vulcan High Council (or whatever) keeps this information to themselves, therefore, the vast majority of the Vulcan populace is unaware that Romulans used to be Vulcans ... as Omega is fond of saying, a lie is only a lie if it's a conscious deception.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because the Vulcan government could be aware of the Romulans doesn't mean Spock would. I imagine Humans, as a class, are aware of all sorts of things I personally have never heard of.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect it's not as devious as all that with the Romulans. I get the feeling that they are trying to prepare us as a culture to be a more effective space-faring culture. It sounds as though humans have been out to space (the 'boomers' (fusion pile ships?)), but not in signifigant numbers and havent' really made much of an impression.

I dunno, if I were the Vulcans, I'd be somewhat careful about giving us new technology. They may have however tenuously curbed our tendency to make war among ourselves, but our potential for xenophobia is pretty culturally deep. Tucker's reaction to the atmopheric weening ritual with the child on Rigel being a prime example. I would say that they are indeed right. I believe T'pol as much says that we are a 'primitive' culture. If you gave cavemen a starship they'd have a tough time figuring out how that was going to let them get more mammoth meat (but man, if they did...) What I'm saying is that the Vulcans are trying to advance our culture in step with our technological capacity, and I would argue that it is a very good idea.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps