Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » I notice an interesting pattern.

Author Topic: I notice an interesting pattern.
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see anyone spending time writing about the characters or the plot. Most discussion is focused on the theme song (which I thought had the approriate words for the premiere); on the photo montage for the theme song; on the technology of the show; and on certain other areas of the show that had little to do with characters and more to do with we perceive is crucial to our attempt to place this show in context with the other four series.

Are the characters so flawed and lifeless that we find our minds wandering to these other topics? I found in some scenes that my mind wandered. Sometimes, like the scene in Captain Archer's room, I tuned out the player and concentrated my attention on set details, like the photo in the background.

Is this a good or bad thing?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We havent had much hope for the plot or the characters.. after all, Braga wrote it

I did start a thread on the political ramifications of Vulcan forced isolationism though. We didnt see much of the characters personalities after the launch, except for the dinner scene. after that it became a group of disjointed action sequences. not incredibly impressing, but on par with my expectations.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We may see more characterization as the show goes on; as I said in another thread, the pilot wasn't great about making them stand out from one another.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$ Spoilers Prolly $$

"The writing was somewhat wooden. Bakula's acting was great and his writing was above par with everybody else. I fear we may end up getting many many shows focusing on a single person to the exclusion of others again.

Blalock was good, definetely emotional, but I liked where Archer would catch her in the act. All the Vulcans seemed perpetually pissed off at humans. Not the kind of relationship that you think humans would tolerate for a hundred years. They were most likely just pissed off for that particular event, but we should've gotten some better scenes regarding the status quo relationship of human/Vulcans.

Other characters were excellent and would be outstanding if the writing was better. Billingsly did a fantastic job, but his makeup still irks me as being too human. They've done extensive regular character make up before (Worf, Data, Neelix, etc.) that would go a long way for him.

Overall, there was nothing special about the plot. No great premise was set up really. Klingon first contact didn't turn out as horribly as we were lead to believe. We only get the vaguest of notions about the EFG. And at least I got the impression that they weren't interested in Archer/Akiraprize at all. "We don't want to involve the humans. Not yet anyway." The sentence and its tone make it abundantly clear that they are after somebody else. And story wise, where is the fun in that?"

That's what I noticed with regards to plot, writing, and acting anyway.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sometimes, like the scene in Captain Archer's room, I tuned out the player and concentrated my attention on set details, like the photo in the background.

A very very large amount of people here have that problem.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.