Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Enterprise is UNORIGINAL (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Enterprise is UNORIGINAL
Timelord
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read many of the opinions voiced on this forum regarding the new Star Trek series. Much has already been said about lack of continuity and discrepancies concerning "established" Trek-universe history. My criticsm is that the new series is not very original. It breaks no real new ground but instead relies on retread material from previous incarnations of Trek. This has absolutely nothing to do with the actors and everything to do with the producers.

First we borrowed the name of the most famous starship in "history." Why? In a vain effort to capture lost glory. I can't believe how many threads have been started hotly debating whether or not NCC 1701 was the FIRST ever starship to bear the name Enterprise, what is "canon" and what isn't, whether the NX-01 belongs to a "Earth Starfleet" of a "Federation Starfleet." Give it a rest, people. Everyone, everywhere knows that Kirk's ship was the FIRST STARSHIP ENTERPRISE. The only thing to throw this into question was the mind-bendingly UNORIGINAL decision to re-write trek history in an attempt to get more people to watch Brannon Braga's latest sad effort.
End of story here.

Point two - the NX-01 is nothing more than a kit-bashed Akira. This has been said before, but it is glaringly true. This ship doesn't look even remotely like a predecessor to the Constitution class. Matt Jeffries design of the 1701 is as beautiful and futuristic today as it was thirty years ago. While I wouldn't expect the sets to be as simplistic as those seen in the 60s, the ship's design is a major disappointment. Just a little effort could have produced a craft with a gritty, utilitarian realism that would have been perfectly believable as a starship of the not-too-distant future.

Point three - Who designed the uniforms? Here we go again, borrowing design themes from other Treks because we haven't a glimmering of originality. Gee, a jumpsuit with rank pips, where have we seen that before?

More retreads: A vulcan science officer - whether or not she's in Starfleet, this is a retread of the Kirk/Spock dynamic. Phlox is a Neelix retread - a goofy, good-natured alien. They even look alike.

About the only attempt to be original was the theme music. Here's where they should have stuck with a fanfare but instead decided on a vocal track straight out of Dawson's Creek. (pardon me while I puke...)

Someone in the forum suggested that the worst thing to happen to Star Trek is Brannon Braga and Rick Berman. I wholeheartedly agree. Star Trek under their care is degenerating into mindless space opera. Each new series gets further and further away from what I regard as Star Trek. I know that there are many who will gleefully accept any bit of televised pablum with "Star Trek" somewhere in the title, but that doesn't make it Star Trek. This latest attempt to appease the masses was obviously churned out as fast as possible and it shows.

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you, Timelord, past-master of creating thoroughly original threads, might want to consider running the show.

Originality and Creativity clearly ooze out of your pores.

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel I should point out the obvious fact that the words "star" and "trek" appear nowhere in the title "Enterprise".
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So. . . because it's not CALLED a Star Trek series, it down't have to be compared to them? Right.

And, secondly, why is it whenever someone criticises Enterprise, the best anyone can do is insult them? He raises some very pertinent points, and the best response anyone can come up with - I forget the exact wording, can't be bothered to look down the page - is "you smelt it, you dealt it?"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, Timelord needs to put in some $$$.

Okay. Timelord pretty much dismisses the whole "Is Kirk's the first Enterprise" argument? He shows no place where anyone has firmly said that Kirk's ship was the first Starship Enterprise. At best, he can make the point that Kirk's was the first in the Federation Starfleet. Since we're dealing with the Earth Starfleet, I don't see the conflict.

Now, regarding Enterprise's design ... Timelord should go read The_Tom's "Car Trek" thread. As I've pointed out before ... I drive a Jeep Wrangler. It bears a striking resemblence to the GP Willy built in the 1940's. However, I'm not accusing people of going back in time and ripping off the Wrangler's design. While it's certainly one thing to say that maybe the ship designer was a bit unoriginal in modeling Enterprise on the Akira-Class, it is not un-cannon to assume that the Akira-Class is modelled on the Enterprise style. I mean, aren't the Galaxy-, Excelsior-, and Ambassador- classes all based on design features of Kirk's Enterprise as well?

The uniforms borrow much more from the TOS movies, although the rankpips are taken directly from the 24th Century series. Still, this isn't a major deal. The design of the uniforms is different enough ... and I don't hear Timelord bitching because Voyager uses jumpsuits too. This is the stupidest point he could've made.

A retread of the Kirk/Spock relationship ... let's see ... like Picard/Data? Janeway/Seven? Sisko/Odo? Every Star Trek series has had a character (or several) who represents an alien view to humanity. I suppose you could bitch about her being Vulcan, but, er, did you bitch about Tuvok? And given the timeframe this series is set in, who would be more believable? No one but a Vulcan.

I'm sorry you don't like the music. Here Timelord shows his inconsistency by blasting Enterprise for first being un-original, and then being original to something never done for a Star Trek series before. At least be consistent. Personally, I like the opening credits ... but I'd like a monologue.

You are aware, aren't you, that Rick Berman ran TNG for most of the time it was on the air? That he co-created DS9? Okay, he gave us Voyager, but to ignore his history at Paramount is just plain stupid. Braga did an excellent job at TNG, too, or did you not like "Parallels?"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Tim was nixpicking, I do object to

"Someone in the forum suggested that the worst thing to happen to Star Trek is Brannon Braga and Rick Berman. I wholeheartedly agree."

Because, as has been said time and time again, Rick Berman was essentially in charge of TNG from the second season, and Brannon Braga has been responsible for some of the most acclaimed Trek episodes ever. If you want to slag off Enterprise, slag it off for what it is, but don't bring in the "Berman & Braga sux!" argument, because that's based on naming everything bad they've ever done, and forgetting everything good they've ever done.

Personally, I won't comment on Enterprise until I've seen it. When are Sky showing it?

(The only thing I will say is that you have a go at them for using jumpsuits, claiming it to be unoriginal, then you have a go at them for changing the music style, saying they should have stuck with a fanfare. Aer you complaining about stuff on it's own merits, or on how it compares to others? Because the TNG uniforms are hardly a stunning leap from the TOS uniforms.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First thing, it doesn't matter that Braga wrote this or that episode of TNG. Once you write a story outline, it's put up on a white-board for the entire writing team to discuss, criticize, and modify, at which point you take the revised outline and write a script. Those are called story-breaking sessions.

Now obviously, this doesn't mean that Braga was continuously being fully rewritten, but when you have Michael Piller as your boss, and a group consisting of Ron D. Moore, Ira Stephen Behr, and all the writers that eventually would go on to DS9, you're bound to think more about the characters than if you're the boss and have your own writing team. Rick Berman wasn't as responsible for the character-orientation of TNG as Michael Piller, and I don't know what's up with Piller nowdays.

The only thing that really struck me as unique about "Enterprise" was its opening sequence. I think the show will be fine if it builds from there, our history. Star Trek has recently become this disconnected idealistic world, and if Enterprise manages to reconnect with the present day, it would be something new. It doesn't even have to be Star Trek, as its name suggest. I'd accept it as a reinterpration of that universe similar to the way in which Arthur C. Clarke's 2010 is not in the same universe as 2001, but a slightly different one.

I don't think it will happen with the current writing team aboard, though.

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
has anybody ever thought about:
if Braga and his crew did something like how we knew Star Trek to be (i assume this is what all those Enterprise naysayers (sp?) want) then all you people (the naysayers) will probably say something like "braga can't think of something new, he's jus ripping off whats been done b4"
I think the show does feel new, but at the same time it looks like it retains some of the original qualities of Trek - going where no one has gone before.
I like the point Malnurtured Snay made about how the Akira could have been based upon Archer's ship. (do we know the class of this vessel?)

well thats my 2 cents worth

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people have made the point before I ever did, Fedaykin. Go scrounging through this forum (Enterprise) for The_Tom's "Car Trek" thread. It's an amazing work.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not about making it exactly like TOS, it's about getting into the spirit of TOS, which means taking a lot of risks and making the best show you can possibly make. You read "Inside Star Trek" and realize that the TOS team was doing just that -- working in a miserable, run-down studio, on low budget, and yet striving to do their best. It couldn't hire the best writers, but it had the best writers it could get.

The current team is not making creative use of its budget. It could hire better writers, reexamine the world today and adjust the show, but the problem is that nowadays, Star Trek is a show mostly concerned with money-making. Period. It's no secret, that's why everybody calls it a franchise.

[ September 30, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Rick Berman wasn't as responsible for the character-orientation of TNG as Michael Piller, and I don't know what's up with Piller nowdays."

Michael Piller wrote Insurrection, often considered the worst out of all the TNG movies. Braga co-wrote First Contact, often considered the best.

I don't think that Ira Behr was on the TNG writing staff for more than a season, was he?

I do love the "Well, anything good Braga ever wrote was obviously due to Moore helping", while "everything bad Moore ever wrote was ruined by Braga."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, but Liam, it's "hip" to not like Enterprise. You want to be hip, don't you? Because there's nothing else.
Boris
Member # 713

Michael Piller wrote "The Best of Both Worlds", both parts, by himself. You can't pick his worst effort and judge him by that, because I could just as well pick one of his best.

You have to look at the facts. When Michael Piller came to TNG, he looked at the show and decided that from the third season on, every episode will have to be about a character. That's the way the writing team worked from that point onwards. As far as many people can see, it's not the way Voyager worked, where the characters usually would take a backseat to spatial anomalies and time travel.

And I didn't say that "everything good Braga wrote was due to Moore helping...". I believe Braga can write characters if someone asks him to do that, but that it's not his favorite part of writing. Braga has been credited with introducing a faster pace and a feature-quality to Voyager, and that's good, but it rarely became more than that.

Of course it's hip to dislike "Enterprise" -- with all the budget it has, why can't it be more like B5? Or X-Files? Or Sopranos? Or the Simpsons? All these shows are very well written, with great characters and stories. Every great writer, from JMS to Harlan Ellison says the same thing about today's Trek.

People are crazy about the Sopranos nowdays -- I haven't seen anything like it in America, though I question the morals of making a show about a mafia family. Everybody was crazy about X-Files for a while, too, though it's science fiction. And Buffy. And the Simpsons, which is a cartoon, something usually thought of as kid stuff! I just went to get the new Simpsons DVD boxed set, and it was sold out! In both stores I looked at. I only managed to get the last copy.

Let's see this happening with Enterprise.

[ September 30, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course it's hip to dislike "Enterprise" -- with all the budget it has, why can't it be more like B5? Or X-Files? Or Sopranos? Or the Simpsons? All these shows are very well written, with great characters and stories.

Not to open the age-old can of worms, but putting B5's writing in the same sentence as The Sopranos and The Simpsons is as patently disgraceful as putting a Steven King paperback and a Joyce hardcover on the same bookshelf.

quote:
Michael Piller wrote "The Best of Both Worlds", both parts, by himself. You can't pick his worst effort and judge him by that, because I could just as well pick one of his best.

Indeed. But doesn't that just prove there's a double-standard, no? The congreagation of the First Church of Braga Disembowelment love to talk about "Threshold" until they're blue in the face, when to be quite blunt Piller, the very guy who didn't stand up and say "Hey, Brannon, I think this one about Salamanders is going a bit too far... how about you make Tom Paris eat himself instead?" deserves blame, too. Piller was very much the controlling creative influence in season two who perhaps put the nail in Voyager's coffin by throwing in the towel after that season turned ugly rather than attempting to make changes and fix things.

If we want to judge writers by their best works, then let's look at the fact that the admittedly unscientific episode ratings at SOS shows that the every single one of the top 10-ranked Voyager episodes were either written by Braga or went through the creative process while he was the head of the writing staff:

1)Timeless - 9.2/10 - Written & XP'ed by Braga
2)Scorpion I - 9.1/10 - Written by Braga
3)Message in a Bottle - 9.0/10 - [pseudo]XP'ed by Braga*
4)Living Witness - 8.9/10 - Written & [pseudo]XP'ed by Braga*
5)Drone - 8.8/10 - Written & XP'ed by Braga
6)Year of Hell I - 8.8/10 - Written & [pseudo]XP'ed by Braga*
7)Prey - 8.7/10 - Written & [pseudo]XP'ed by Braga*
8)Counterpoint - 8.7/10 - XP'ed by Braga
9)Someone to Watch Over Me - 8.6/10 - Written & XP'ed by Braga
10)Latent Image - 8.5/10 - Written & XP'ed by Braga

---------------
* = Jeri Taylor was semi-retired throughout season 4 and Braga very much led the writing staff as an XP in everything but name. Strangely, Braga-haters tend to claim simultaneously he was singlehandedly responsible for Jeri Ryan's shrinkwrapped outfit in season 4 and yet didn't become the lead creative force until seasons 5 and 6. Puh-leeze.

Now, we must keep in mind Clemens' famous quote about lies, damn lies and such, but the evidence strikes me as pretty strong that Braga was hardly one who turned everything he touched into horse turd.

Likewise, there seems to be a widespread feeling that Braga's work on TNG was better than his work on Voyager.

So, look, I see it this way. Piller had good episodes, Behr had good episodes, Braga had good episodes. Piller had shit episodes, Behr had shit episodes, Braga had shit episodes. Liam's quite right in pointing out that it is a fundamentally flawed premise to say the Berman and Braga are poor producers if all you do is compare Braga's worst to Piller's best.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Timelord
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, TOM for your thoughtful and enlightening rebuttal of my argument. Clearly I stand in the presence of greatness....

I don't recall suggesting that ENTERPRISE stunk on ice, only that the premise and production was, IN MY OPINION, unoriginal. I was really hoping for the best before viewing the pilot. I will watch the next few episodes, but I am not optimistic.

Phelps points out quite rightly that Star Trek is about making money, period. It is a cash cow. My criticsm is that there is an ever-diminishing level of artistry being put into the production of Trek these days. No thought was ever given to shelving the new series until it could be developed into something really unique. No, it was waiting the the wings, ready to take over just as the last installment was getting tired out. Unfortunately, Berman and Braga can look forward to many years at the helm of the Trek francise due to the fact that millions will gleefully and uncritically accept ANYTHING with the name STAR TREK on it.

Right now, most critics of ENTERPRISE are complaining about problems with continuity. It can be fun thinking up explanations to make everything "fit." Yes, the akira design could be based on the NX-01. This is a very clever explanation. However, from the standpoint of creating a television series, these arguments are pure sophistry. The NX-01 IS an unoriginal rip-off of the akira design. The Archer/T'Pol dynamic (Human Captain and Vulcan XO don't like each other but eventually learn to respect one another) HAS been done before. NCC-1701 WAS the first starship Enterprise (The Motion Picture and TNG both displayed the Enterprise legacy, in photos and bas relief. There was the aircraft carrier, then the space shuttle, and then NCC-1701. Pretty conclusive to me, unless to don't regard either the movies or TNG as "canon".

I love Star Trek. I just don't like the direction it has been going in. I was in college in the late 60's and wrote letters to Paramount along with millions of other people to save the series from cancellation. I wouldn't trouble myself today. (I did for B5 though, the last best hope for intelligent sci-fi.)

For those who don't like my Berman/Braga bashing, I see it this way: An ailing Gene Roddenberry passed the series HE created on to Berman who waited until Gene died and then tried desperately to remake Trek in his own image. True, he was at the helm for most of the TNG series, but this was an already established success. He brough TNG to a close (which still had some years left in it) so it wouldn't compete with his brainchild, DS9. The premise of the show was so boring, they created the Defiant, the Dominion War, and brought back Worf so someone would watch the show. DS9 came to and end and almost immediately there followed Voyager which returned to the starship theme, but this series still did not attract the audience TNG had. Now hard on the heels of Voyager's finale we have Enterprise. They've dropped Star Trek from the title and I have to say, this makes sense since it really isn't Star Trek anymore. Berman and Braga should try creating something on their own instead of parasitically feeding off the success of a man who brought into being something truly unique in television history. Roddenberry's Star Trek was entertaining while at the same time inspiring. About all Star Trek inspires me to do these days is turn of the TV and read a book. Not a bad idea, actually.

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps