Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$$Civilization$$$$

Author Topic: $$$$Civilization$$$$
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this episode, the Enterprise NX-01 visits a Minshara Class world. A Minshara Class world is similiar to Earth.

Could this possibly be the origin of "M-Class worlds"?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would assume so. I wonder why they don't just call it "M-Class", though.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At first glance, a nice tie-in

So, this 'Minshara' guy invented the Planetary Classification System and very humbly called inhabitable worlds 'M', after his own name? The cheeky bastard

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's by the alpahbet. A-K would be light to extreme cold and Q-Z would be light to extreme heat, at least in temperence. Or the other way around, I can't think but M is around the middle grounds, which is most hospitable for us.

[ September 30, 2001: Message edited by: TLE ]

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M for Middle might be a coincidence of cosmic scale, if you pardon the pun. Perhaps the first planet with "class M" qualities to be encountered by Earth explorers was named Minshara, and the scale was formulated using the coincidence as a semi-joke. Scientists are like that...

One then wonders when Minshara was explored by Earthlings. If it was after the Vulcan encounter, perhaps we have to assume that Vulcan is not class M. If it was before, it's news to us - we have seen interstellar sublight vessels before, but whether humans apart from Khan actually used them has not been clarified.

In any case, I doubt the planetary type scale is anything so simplistic as temperature alone, or humidity, or gravity, or magnetic field strength. It must be a complex index calculated from a multitude of factors. Or then a guesstimate performed by a licensed evaluator.

Timo Saloniemi

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TLE:
No, it's by the alpahbet. A-K would be light to extreme cold and Q-Z would be light to extreme heat, at least in temperence. Or the other way around, I can't think but M is around the middle grounds, which is most hospitable for us.

Nothing gets respect like randomly inventing information and passing it off as fact.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way to define anything bout the system would be to chart out what we DO know..

fanboys, to your VCRS!
Regula's class was defined in ST:II
Demon was Class-Y i think?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Regula is a class 'D.' It consists of various unremarkable ores. Essentially, a great rock in space"

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used that last sentence as a status line for a while... :-)
Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was on that one Voyager ep with the Demon Planet.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... I'll assume you don't mean Balaam's quote, which was said by Spock in ST2...?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps