Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Enterprise Design... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Enterprise Design...
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read a lot comments by fans saying John Eaves ripped off the Akira. But Eaves didn't design the ship, Doug Drexler did. After reading this I wrote to him asking him about the design, and here's his response...

quote:
Hi Hobbes!

It was a conscious decision on the part of the producers (You did not hear it from me). They were aware that the fans really liked the Akira. They did not want a secondary hull and liked the P-38 Lightning approach of a "forked tail". I recoiled at first but ended up liking it very much. It's significantly it's own ship. Seriously, every ship except the Defiant has been a direct variation of the original Enterprise. What I really love about NX1 is that from many angles it looks very much like the original. That's what was most important to me.

However, what do I know? I happen to like the title sequence and the music. Shows you how stupid I am, eh? Whew! Many fans are mean spirited!

Doug

Just thought I'd share that.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone pretty much new they designed the ship because everyone liked the Akira-Class so much.

That still doesn't make it a continuity error.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear from Drexler. It's always great when we can get stuff from the horse's mouth. One wonders what exactly Mr. Eaves has been up to, though... he wasn't listed in the Broken Bow credits, interestingly enough.

One little quibble, Soundwave.. when Doug says "you didn't hear this from me," isn't that usually a sign that it isn't to be stuck up for all to read?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL. Guess I'll find out the next time I ask him a question and he answers it or not.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should tell him we all said thank you, at any rate.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Hobbes...next time you talk to Drexler, could you PLEASE ask him about those DS9 tech manual kitbashes? Specifically, if he made them up himself, or if he actually based all of them on unseen models that the VFX people bashed together (as Okuda hinted at).

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone posted this at another board:

Although I think they put the wrong movie, the ship still looks like one I've seen before Enterprise came out.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wrong movie ... ? What, you think it was in Generations?

I can see as much difference between those two ships as I can between the Constitution- and Ambassador-Classes.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they look eerily alike. Too much so.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No but there are 8 other movies.

And the only real difference in them that I see is the nacelles are flipped over.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to design the ship and had to go for an soft akira look,

Heres two changes off the top of my head i would do.

First make the support pylons connecting the enteprise's nacelles look like the ones on the constitution.
[not really my idea from the start]

Then, instead of that weird indent in the front of the suacer where they stuck that odd oval shaped deflector, i would make the suacer all round[all complete that is], then
i would make the gold deflector all roundish, [like the original constitution]
and hang it off the bottom of the suacer from an attactment like an radar dish, only upside down.

How does that sound to everyone?

[ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds ugly. hehe... anyway. I love the akira and i love enterprise. nyah
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheF0rce:
First make the support pylons connecting the enteprise's nacelles look like the ones on the constitution.

That's not a bad idea, but I don't think having swept nacelles is all that much of a heresy.

quote:
Originally posted by TheF0rce:
Then, instead of that weird indent in the front of the suacer where they stuck that odd oval shaped deflector, i would make the suacer all round[all complete that is], then
i would make the gold deflector all roundish, [like the original constitution]
and hang it off the bottom of the suacer from an attactment like an radar dish, only upside down.

While that's a possibility, I think it would make the ship look sort of out of balance... "front-heavy." As it is, she seems to be on the border, not having a secondary hull. Another possibility would be to have the deflector built into the bottom of the saucer. Take the Intrepid auxiliary deflector, flip it to the underside, and add a gold dish.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Enterprise is that bad. I actually like it. The Akira must of had some kind of design lineage somewhere.

quote:
Seriously, every ship except the Defiant has been a direct variation of the original Enterprise.

Apparently he forgot all about ships like the Steamrunner, Norway, Centaur and even the Oberth. All four I might add look nothing like the original Enterprise. Oh well. It doesn't matter.

[ October 03, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:

While that's a possibility, I think it would make the ship look sort of out of balance... "front-heavy." As it is, she seems to be on the border, not having a secondary hull. Another possibility would be to have the deflector built into the bottom of the saucer. Take the Intrepid auxiliary deflector, flip it to the underside, and add a gold dish.

Actualy i intended to hang the deflector dish off the center of the bottom side of the suacer....
I think one of those non canon designs the "hermes" or something have this design.

It also would kinda make the enterprise look like todays futuristic NASA stuff where probes and space stations have radars and solar grids hanging off in every which direction instead of everything being built neatly into the contours of the hull and fits just right concept...hehehehehe.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps