Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » An Historic Battle? (Spoilers)

Author Topic: An Historic Battle? (Spoilers)
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Axanar were seen in last weeks ep. Fleet Captain Garth of Izar gained his fame in the battle of Axanar, a battle which, IIRC, Kirk described as making it possible for he and Spock to work together. (Anyone got an exact quote on that, BTW?)

Q) Do we know what species Garth was?

If not, it's quite possible that he was from Axanar, and since the Axanar live 400 years, he could quite easily appear in Enterprise. The Axanar have unidentified enemies, who like to kill them and take their bodily fulids.

Theory: is it not possible that later in this series, the battle of Axanar will take place, in which Earth and Vulcan will join forces to help defend the Axanar against an unprovoked attack by their enemies?

Just trying to get inside the heads of the writers.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been mentioned before. I think its a good theroy.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later ... Omega has a good idea

Where or what is Izar? Is it a city, continent or planet? A colony, perhaps?

For some reason -- and I never saw the episode -- I thought Garth was human in everything I read about it.

Ok, some questions:

Do we know what role Garth of Izar plays in the battle?

Did he command a fleet, or was he just a single starship captain who turned the tide of battle?

And how long before TOS did the battle take place?

If he's not Anaxarian, for all we know, Garth defeated a force that would otherwise have destroyed the already existing U.F.P. ... (which would lend as much validity to the "if not for Garth, we wouldn't be working together") ...

The attack could very well be provoked as well as un-provoked ... perhaps the alien species is threatened by what they see as the encroachment of the Earthlings on their territory ... (similar to the Dominion's attitude) ...

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might also explain his ability to shapeshift. Maybe he learned it just like the Suliban did. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garth gained his shapeshifting ability from the Antosians.

Most of Fandom assumed Garth was human also, but orginiated of the colony of Izar

And Kirk has the Peace Mission of Axanar award.. basically Garth kicked some ass there, and then later Kirk saved the day there in a peaceful manner again. Kirk threw that in Garth's face to taunt him about violence not being the answer to his problems.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... Are we assuming that Garth's human form was just a ruse? If that were true, wouldn't people have noticed? "Hey, why does Garth look human? He used to look Axanari." I mean, there's a pretty big difference...

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it's possible Garth was some sort of alien, 60's makeup technology being what it was, it would be a pretty major stretch to say the perfectly human looking Garth was Axanari.

Almost as much of a stretch as saying Kang was a Klingon.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but it's bad enough that the Klingons lost and regained their ridges, and Romulans developed them. We don't need to start coming up w/ other species who somehow changed between humanesque and not...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moreover, unlike the Klingons, there was no hint in the episode that Garth was intended to be something other than human.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, aside from the name "Garth of Izar". Unless he's "of Izar" in the same way that Zefram Cochrane was "of Alpha Centauri"...
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, it seems obvious enough - "I'm Garth, zon of ze mighty Teutonz from ze banks of Izar, you veakling Axanari scum! Tremble at ze zight of my Bavarian manhood! Ze time haz come for my goose-schtepping throopz to take what belongz to Earth!"

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I guess he just didn't think "Garth of Munich" had the right ring to it... :-)
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, Izar *is* a real star.
http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/izar.html

210 ly away from us, and a double star consisting of an 'orange bright giant' and a 'fifth magnitude white class A main sequence dwarf', and whatever they are, it doesn't sound like life-supporting suns.

"Izar is also notable for its lack of interest to professional astronomers"

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Oh. That's not common knowledge?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps