Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Ep. 3 - - "Strange New World" $$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$ Ep. 3 - - "Strange New World" $$$
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Water polo, of course, essentially being volleyball in water. Besides, don't they both use the exact same ball?

Different ball and a very different game. It's a lot closer to soccer than to volley ball (or polo for that matter). Incidentally, a 2 meter man (I assume we're talking about a hole man (Prolly good that Archer didn't call him that. He might get hte wrong idea.)) is a player who sits in front of the goal and essentially gets fouled (read: drowned) the whole game by the defensive hole. Players in this position more or less control the offensive action and generally have a lot of endurance, speed and cunning. In this sense, I believe Archer's comment was a compliment.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked this episode too. Of course, I joked with Mr. Christopher last night that this would be Enterprise's "Halloween Episode."

It's really hard to see the enlisted rank insignia. But I think Chris's initial comments on them are largely correct. They seem to be two pins: one is triangular (maybe arrow-ish) and the second is a block with squiggles on it. Definitely hard to see, though.

It's nice to see just how limited the technology in use is. The sensors didn't pick up the toxic pollens coming in from the mountains; the transporter fuses the hapless crewmen with debris. Nice touches. I'm very glad that they didn't just allow the crewman to die. The start of TNG had Dr. Crusher losing almost every patient that came into sickbay. He suffered complications, but he didn't have to die. Nice.

I like the fallibility of the characters that came out here. Tucker is so resentful of the Vulcans that he almost kills T'Pol. Phlox seems to be an excellent doctor, but did you check out the remorse on his face and in his voice when he realizes he may have cost Novakovich his life? It's also nice to see that not all of humanity is so hateful of the Vulcans. We see that at least Cutler was attempting to open a dialog with T'Pol.

I really liked the scene when they first arrived on the planet and Porthos is the first one out of the shuttlepod. Reminded me of all the jokes from The Original Series about the lack of bathroom. To paraphrase David Gerrold, "They're on a five year mission. Isn't that a long time to hold it?"

One thing I didn't like was Archer attempting to take the shuttle pod down there to rescue his crewmates in the storm. Then again, that's a complaint I've had with all of the series (putting the senior officers in constant danger). Another thing is that, yeah, the landing team was a bit understaffed and underequipped. I don't recall anyone down there having a phase pistol strapped to their sides when they were exploring. I'd also bet that a landing mission would have used more than one time and explore different parts of the planet. Of course, I realize that this was sacrificed in favor of dramatic effect.

Overall, I really liked this episode. Quite enjoyable, in my opinion.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He suffered complications, but he didn't have to die. Nice.

I suppose they can't really afford to kill any of the Red Shirts (or Red Stripes) on a ship of only a hundred or so crewmen.

Another thing is that, yeah, the landing team was a bit understaffed and underequipped. I don't recall anyone down there having a phase pistol strapped to their sides when they were exploring. I'd also bet that a landing mission would have used more than one time and explore different parts of the planet. Of course, I realize that this was sacrificed in favor of dramatic effect.

Hey, YOU may have seen a lot of away missions, but the ENT crew has never done anything like that . I only hope they will *learn* from their 'mistakes'.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little tidbit on "Minshara-Class".

I noticed that it is Sato who translates that term to the rest of the crew as "suitable for humanoid life". Could 'Minshara' be the Vulcan word for 'humanoid'?
(note: Dutch word for human is 'mens', German word is 'Mensch', so there are some vague links to the word 'minshara')

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.