Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Here's a puzzler... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Here's a puzzler...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It's an original John Eaves lithograph being sold by the FanMedia folks who do the Star Trek Communicator.

Is it just me or have the worms found a way to place point charges and blown their way out of the can?

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Pro. Portside
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a NX clas ship of earth(and where else would the bloody thing be from Romuls) registry. Ok me have questions now.

Now dose NX stand for anything and if so what?
If you had an automated survay ship would that be an ASS class ship? Ok end of questions.

IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NX-class? I guess it certainly wouldn't be unheard of. From a point earlier in Earth's history, you have the DY-series of space ships. From The Original Series era we have mention of class J cargo ships and class S starships.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want them to hurry up and get AMT/Ertl or whoever to make the plastic model kit so I can build it.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, that's not such a bad idea. I've been wanting to try building a starship model again after all of these years. My biggest difficulty back then was getting the saucer to sit on the !@#$ing neck. I wouldn't have any problems here.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with First...I want a model kit...

I guess I wouldn't be opposed to an "NX Class"...although it seems to go against the traditions of Earth Naval organizations, at least the US Navy. From what I know, most naval groups name ships with actual names, not just numbers and the classes are derived from one fo the ships in that class. TOS and the TNG era have all followed this tradition, so I don't think it really fits to have NX Class. I guess I just assumed it was Enterprise Class. I wonder what the plaque on the bridge says...

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as ive noticed before, the producers seem to be trying to establish a more 'space shuttle-ish' atmosphere on the ship. They want us to feel like we are watching an apollo mission or space shuttle crew, so they are foregoing some naval traditions assuming that since Starfleet really doesnt have a fleet yet, they feel more like 'rocket guys' Space shuttles dont have 'SS' or 'USS' prefixes, class names and have a few letter-number combinations for their registries (OV-101, etc)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. Look good next to my signed drawing of the Enterprise-E by Eaves.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no problems with an NX Class, apart from the 23rd/24th century use of the prefix NX. It would assume that every NX rego is of a ship of the NX class.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...the obvious answer to that problem is that, when the Federation Starfleet is founded, the new registry system includes an NX registry for new ship types in honor of the "old" NX class.

We definitely have to accept that there is a difference between the Federation Starfleet and registry system and the Earth Starfleet and registry system. I think everyone has pretty much accepted that, I'm just saying...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now let's pray to the starship gods that if they show another Starfleet ship it'll have a nice big registry printed on the side with a new prefix so that NX doesn't devolve into a generic Starfleet indicator just yet.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

right. NX needs to be only for ships made after enterprise. anything already in the Earth fleet should have something else. Though I doubt we'll be seeing many other Starfleet ships just yet. Nothing they have yet will be able to keep up with Enterprise. Unless they run into a ship that's already out there...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a great idea for an episode:
a time-travel episode which involves a ship from the 23rd century (TOS, but not with *the* Enterprise). Would be cool to see the U.S.S. Intrepid (the all-Vulcan crew) and the NX-01 trapped inside some Temporal Anomaly of the Week.

::wakes up::

Wha..What just happened?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be easy to allow for the fact that the Earth Starfleet has ship registries that start with two random letters and are followed by two random numbers, and the NX is completely unrelated to the NX which will be used to refer to Naval Experiments undertaken by the Federation Starfleet. This would then still allow for the USS Dauntless NCC-01 ten years later, being under a different jurisdiction

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Oh, don't worry...the TOS tie-in will come soon enough......

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps