Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Here's a puzzler... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Here's a puzzler...
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it could be like real Navy ships which have different prefixes. CV = carrier, CVN = nuclear carrier. DD = destroyer, etc...

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what would NX be? New eXplorer?

Anyway, NX class actually sounds more logical with DY classes around. And as said before, it can explain the Dauntless name. It can even constitute (I just had to use that word) to Kirk's Enterprise being the first.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would prefer NX-01-class. It fits better to the DY-100-class and IIRC it's possible to say CVN-65-class instead of Enterprise-class in the US Navy.

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understood that the NX Registry means that the ship is Experimental or a Prototype..

The Defiant's Registry, we all know, is NX-74205. SO therefore, the Enterprise, being the first registered deep-space experimental ship, would be NX-01.

Some would argue that the Pheonix should have the registry NX-01 - however, there was no Starfleet then.

So.. What do I think NX stands for?

Naval Experiment, in keeping with Naval Tradition.

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: Alshrim Dax ]

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IN keeping with Hobbs' suggestion, I went into an online search.. and found a really good site for US Registered Ships.

The CV, CVN, etc.. are all Hull Registries in the US Navy.

As shown here...

http://www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/S_TYPE.HTM

How ever...

The USS Enterprise (Aircraft Carrier), is registered as CVN 65!

The C - represents that it is a Carrier.
The N - represents that it is a Nuclear Vessel.

The V - is a mystery. Vessel?

It is in a class of its own - CVN 65.

The other sister ships are all CVN 68 .. but have their own registery numbers...

Class Hull Name
    CVN 65 CVN 65 ENTERPRISE
    CVN 68 CVN 68 NIMITZ
    CVN 68 CVN 69 DWIGHT D. EISENHOWER
    CVN 68 CVN 70 CARL VINSON
    CVN 68 CVN 71 THEODORE ROOSEVELT
    CVN 68 CVN 72 ABRAHAM LINCOLN
    CVN 68 CVN 73 GEORGE WASHINGTON
    CVN 68 CVN 74 JOHN C. STENNIS
    CVN 68 CVN 75 HARRY S. TRUMAN
    CVN 68 CVN 76 RONALD REAGAN

So.. It would be sticking with Navel Tradition to have the Enterprise NX-01 share its class with its registery number as our own USS Enterprise has done.

Just thought I'd share.

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V is for "aviation." At the time CV1 was built, CA was being used for heavy (or "armored") cruisers.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CVN is the hull number. CVN-68 is the USS Nimitz. All other ships that are designed to the Nimitz's specifications are called "Nimitz" class. Not CVN-68 class. Though it may be technically allowable, its not the accepted use. CVN-65 is the USS Enterprise. Only the Enterprise is built to those specifications, which is why when it is referred to as belonging to a class, you will here it referred to as "Enterprise" class. Something similar is done with the USS John F. Kennedy.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All other ships that are designed to the Nimitz's specifications are called "Nimitz" class. Not CVN-68 class

Are you sure? CVN-68 class and similiar designations (eg DD-xx class) are used in some books about the US Navy I read.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
V is for "aviation." At the time CV1 was built, CA was being used for heavy (or "armored") cruisers.

Hmmn...

I live within driving distance of the Alameda Naval Base (The one visited by Kirk and Co. in STIV) and recently visited to take a tour of the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Hornet CV-12, which is moored there as a flaoting museum. (The Hornet is the ship that picked up Neil Armstrong and the Apollo 11 crew after splashdown. It was really cool, I got to walk in his footsteps [painted on the deck] to the isolation/decontamination chamber that they put the astronauts in. [This was before they knew whether there were any dangerous organisms on the moon that could be brought back.] I got to go inside the chamber and put my ear to the phone that Armstrong spoke to President Kennedy on! I missed the engine room tour, [Damn!] but I got to see the med-science lab, the infirmary, the operating room, crewmen's quarters, mess hall, and of course the hangar deck, where they have several WWII and Vietnam/Korean War vintage aircraft. [Very Cool!] And I also got to tour the bridge.)

Anyways, on the bridge tour, the docent said that the 'V' stood for 'heaVier than air' indicating that the vessel was a seagoing ship and not an Airship. He being the docent and all, I took him at his word, but I guess he could've been wrong.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:

The Hornet is the ship that picked up Neil Armstrong and the Apollo 11 crew ...I got to walk in his footsteps [painted on the deck]...and put my ear to the phone that Armstrong spoke to President Kennedy on!

Neat trick, given that Kenedy died in 1963 and the Hornet picked up the Apollo 11 Command Module in 1969. I believe the president you are looking for is "Nixon".

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

With more reading, OnToMars is absolutely correct... everywhere the CVN68 is considered the Nimitz Class Carrier.

But, i'm still trying to find out what the 'V' is. Seems there is still some confusion.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/1424/entrpris/cvn65.html

This site - tho' not official, says that it is Carrier Vessel Nuclear. I don't know how right this guy is.

But this would seem to stay true that all Millitary sites that I've been to consider the CVN a Nuclear Carrier Vessel ..

Without the N - it is just a strait Carrier Vessel powered by diesel .. etc...

Now.. I've also been to this site: http://www.ucc.ie/cgi-bin/acronym?CV

Which says that the V stands for a Carrier with a Fixed Wing. *Shrugs*

And here - http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=CVN&Find=Find - the acronym is defined as Carrier Vessel Nuclear. However -- I got to this site via the Navy Military site.: http://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/amo/amo_links.htm

So.. I'm thinkin' CVN=Carrier Vessel Nuclear.

But here: http://reserveweb.fitcpac.navy.mil/isrtm/surface.htm

They say that the V stands for "Aircraft" *Shakes head... AHHHHHH!!

So... lots of different definitions.. and still .. not sure which one I should believe.

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: Alshrim Dax ]

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monkey, I've taken that tour. Very cool. Took me like five trips out to visit my sister (who lives in SF) to drag her and my mom out there.

But personally, there was something even cooler than walking in the footsteps of Neil Armstrong...

...walking in the footsteps of Pete Conrad.

I'd bet money nobody here knows who he is.

I'm almost positive V simply stands for vessel. How it came to be, I do not know. But they could've put in there just to not have a one letter prefix. Like the designations for battleships are BB instead of just B.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Neat trick, given that Kenedy died in 1963 and the Hornet picked up the Apollo 11 Command Module in 1969. I believe the president you are looking for is "Nixon"

Yes, I apologize. I meant Nixon. It was like eleven o'clock when I posted. Maybe I should sleep before recounting my stories...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Alshrim Dax "I understood that the NX Registry means that the ship is Experimental or a Prototype.. The Defiant's Registry, we all know, is NX-74205. SO therefore, the Enterprise, being the first registered deep-space experimental ship, would be NX-01."

NX designates an experimental ship in the

Federation starfleet... we have no idea of how the registry system works in the Earth Starfleet. To get around certain problems, the two systems almost have to be different. As I said before, perhaps the NX designation in new Federation ships is an homage to the "old" Earth registry system of the NX class ships.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Y'know, a lot of people have been saying that whole Earth Starfleet VS. Federation Starfleet, but the more I think about it, I don't think that TPTB or the writers are really thinking of it that way. It seems more like it's the same Starfleet we've always known, and that they really are trying to imply that the Enterprise is the first Starfleet ship. I know it's ridiculous, but I think that's how they're treating it.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps