Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Here's a puzzler... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Here's a puzzler...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it. They know full well that there's no Federation. They may be intending this Starfleet to eventually evolve into the Federation Starfleet, but they know the difference. They may do some really dumb stuff sometimes, but they aren't quite that stupid. I hope not, anyway...
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.. the registries are still paying homage to 'today's' way of doing things.

With prototypes, even today, an 'X' is used in the registry.

Earth Starfleet | Federation Starfleet. IS still Starfleet and they originate from the same place .. the way they do things will be somewhat the same .. Only difference, the way I see it, is that the Federation includes other worlds that subscribe to a Federation of Planet ..

And we must remember here - the Enterpise is the prototype ship using the Warp 4.5 Engine developed by Archer's old man. It would stand to reason, by today's standards, that this ship uses an 'X' in its registery - and being the first of its kind .. the Register Number and the Class number would be the same. Just like the Enterprise Carrier and the Nimitz. Granted they named CVN68 the Nimitz Class - but the Class Number is still CVN68.

But I agree - that they should call NX-01 the Enterprise Class.

The one thing now.. with all this talk of registery numbers (if you will be patient with me) is that, in today's navy .. the registry number almost describes the ship .. CVN=Carrier Vessel Nuclear, CV=Carrier Vessel, DD=Destroyer, TB=Torpedo Boat, SSK (hunter-killer), SST (training), SC (cruiser), SF (fleet) and SM (minelaying)= All submarine types.. I degress..

So.. if this is the case, then I understood NCC-1701 as being the Naval (Paying homage to Old Earth) Constitution Class 1701 for the USS Enterprise in TOS.

Now.. in TNG .. Should the registry not change to reflect it's new designation - NGC-1701.

The Enterprise of today - had, once, a different Registry number (CV6) .. when it became nuclear, it receive the new registry (CVN65).

And all the other ships in the Federation .. their registries started with NCC.

So.. What did NCC stand for in the Ship's Registries?

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: Alshrim Dax ]

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The very first explanation (from Jefferies TOS pre-production sketches) of NCC-1701 is as follows (This is all succeeded by a big IIRC):
NCC stands for nothing in particular: NC comes from the aircraft licensing code of the US, and the extra C was added 'for fun' (and the similariyties to the Soviet aircraft number CC)

The 1701 also originated from Jefferies plane, but he also gave a possible explanation: "17" stands for the 17th class of cruisers, with "01" meaning the first ship of that clas. I assume prototypes are numbered "00", except in the case of the NX-01, because NX-00 is a pretty stupid registry number.

While this theory makes little sense in the later 23rd and 24th centuries, it could have been something dating back to the Earth Starfleet.

What would other Earth ships that we might see in ENT be numbered, I wonder. I hope we'll never see the NCC prefix..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Federation starfleet obviously doesnt use a different prefix for each vessel type.. all independantly operated ships with interstellar capacity have 'NCC' as their prefix, from the smallest one-man warp scouts and runabouts all the way up to the monster Galaxies and Sovereigns.

So I doubt it stands for 'constitution class'.. the best theory we have running is that it is 'Naval Construction Contract,' meaning that all vessels built by starfleet that have independant warp capacity are numbered as they are built, semi-sequentially (depending on construction time and production & design holdups). This system would best start in 2161 with a ship that is NCC-01 or if it was a prototype, NX-01. I think it would really mess things up at this point if Enterprise turned out to be that ship. I hope that, even though they are taking a lashing at the other continuity issues, Braga and Berman and the rest of the staff find it in their hearts to clear this up in a way that makes us happy.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really doubt there is such a thing as "the first ship of the Federation".
It is much more likely that with the formation of the UFP Starfleet, all (or a lot) of ships of the founding members were re-numbered and put into Starfleet service. (Imagine something like the fictional DY-521 being renumbered to NCC-121 and repainted into early SF colours).

And I also think it is unlikely that the NX-01 (still a prototype), will last for 10/11 years, and be put into active UFP-SF service.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats why i assume that NCC-01 would have been just a ship that perhaps used to be NAR-B2012 and not a prototype NX-01.

Unless they really wanted to be spiffy for the press and have a 'woo-hoo look our first ship', NCC-01 on through would probably all be smaller repainted support vessels and the like and not big capital ships until the Fleet got more on its feet as a cohesive entity. The middle ground would be to take a small distinguished pre-existing vessel (perhaps the UES Dauntless NAR-903-K) and make it NCC-01, that way its a respectably named ship.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was Peregrinus who mentioned that Jefferies' intention was, that NCC was just for cruisers. But Franz Joseph used NCC for destroyers, dreadnaughts, etc. in his Starfleet Technical Manual and because of that, NCC was used for every Starfleet ship in TNG.
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My point before was - that I had assumed at one time that "NCC" stood for Naval Constitution Class..

I determined a long time ago - that it didn't.

So - if NCC was just a "Whatever"!! Then could it be that NX-01 is just a "Whatever" too?

I hope not!

And it could be, that as rediculous as it would look.. NX-00 could be the Pheonix. Is there any Canon/Non-Canon even of a registry on the Pheonix?

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: Alshrim Dax ]

capped
Member # 709

I doubt the Phoenix had a reg... it wasnt built under the auspices of any government and there didnt seem to be much in the way of air traffic regulation after WWIII, seeing as the 1701E, Borg Sphere and Phoenix sailed around without even raising an eybrow of many governmental agencies or traffic controls. The Phoenix is the only one that should have been seen at the time, and i dont think there was much of anything said about how it popped up into the atmosphere without getting the attention of friendly or remaining enemy governments.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.