Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » More on the design of Enterprise

Author Topic: More on the design of Enterprise
RAMA
Member # 380

- posted      Profile for RAMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As many pointed out, the ship has a look much like STTMP's Enterprise pearlescent finish. This was intended, as this is the earliest modern FX we see in ST. This is confirmed in the latest Communicator issue.
There is nothing unusual or out of place of the twin boom design in rationalizing the ST universe use of the NX-01 configuration. Why? Looking back on the previous established history of Trek--which is now changed somewhat--there is nothing from previous TV shows that contradicts the shape. In fact, the basic design of seperated nacelles, saucer section/primary hull are all pretty standard. The Valiant establishes soon after 2061 in history (2065)a shape which includes the twin nacelles. The Daedalus class enters service after the establishment of the UFP, and is in service for roughly 30 years. There is no reason to expect this class is any less or more advanced than the enterprise because of its spherical primary hull. It still has all the features of modern ST ships we know. The NX-01 is obviously a major new class in 2151, but there's reason to expect the Daedalus couldn't go faster than warp 5 also. It practically has to, to reach some of the plaents mentioned in STNG or TOS, such as Beta III. Maybe NX-01 will have other ships in its class we simply haven't heard of yet. As for the Akira design, the same thing holds true as the above. With finite possible combinations of nacelle placings, they're bound to come up with similar designs, and when you look closely, much of the actual detail between the two classes is quite different. One further important point is that the fans, especially those who set up wonderful sites like the Starfleet Museum with many Romulan war era designs are GUILTY of having preconcpetions that were mainly speculation, and they really need to get over it and enjoy the wonderful design of the NX, based on the popular Akira class.

RAMA

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: RAMA ]

--------------------
Ashes to ashes, funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junky. Strung out in heaven's high, hitting an all-time low.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely. Now can we package this post and stick it in a time machine and send it back, say, two months? Back to when I actually wanted to hear arguments about how the ship is not contradicting canon?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAMA: Do you actually have a reason for posting a thread on a topic that's been discussed over and over and over and over and over for months w/o adding anything new at all?
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of preconceptions, how do we know the Daedalus class had a spherical primary hull? We've never seen an image on screen that's definitely been identified as Daedalus class, have we? AFAIK, the model we all assume is Daedalus has just been a background prop on DS9; it's never been given an offical class designation.

As far as the NX not matching the design lineage of the other Enterprises, I think we're all forgetting something. The current ship is an Earth vessel; the other six are all Federation ships. I don't think it would be too outlandish to assume other Federation members might have had a hand in their development over the 130-odd years they were in service.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it the image was put in the Encyclopedia, although I can agree with this not being full canon.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh for the love of god people!

It's not that easily solved! It's a matter of creativity and originality, not just 'technically' avoiding continuity errors.

I've already given my views, and everybody else has as well. But you have your points and we have ours. Repeating them over and over again won't solve anything.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it does make for pointless discussion, which in turn is the entire purpose of this here forum

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps