Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Romulan Wars (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Romulan Wars
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ryan, I think for the first time Berman and Bragga are playing dumb...
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phelps:
A couple of things...the airdate+300 system wasn't unheard of at the time -- we'd seen it in "Sarek", where the writers gave Sarek an age of 202, setting "Journey to Babel" in 2266 or so.

I meant unheard of prior to The Next Generation. Mike Okuda was quite possibly already the timeline-compiler at the time "Sarek" was written. Even if not, my point was simply that Star Trek was never intended to be exactly three-hundred years after the airdates until it was retconned into that position during the late 1980s.

This also continues my thread of pushing the dates back... "Journey to Babel" was 100 years before 2366 ("Sarek"), or 2266. "The Trouble With Tribbles," set prior to "Journey to Babel," was 105 years before 2373 ("Trials and Tribble-ations"), or 2268. Interestingly, "Crossover" says that "Mirror, Mirror" was less than a century before 2371. Go figure!

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trend still cannot be regular. TMP pushed the date of TOS back extremely by setting Voyager 6's mission to "over 300 years ago". TWOK pushed it forward into the early 2200s ("on Earth, 200 years ago, I was a prince"/"SUPERIMPOSED: In the 23rd Century..."/"15 years ago"). TVH then pushed us back to presumably 15 years before the "late 23rd century"/Bounty+500 years, or about 2289-15=2274.

As late as the Phase II bible, the producers had still not decided on the exact date. They knew it was 200-300 years into the future (look at the section describing stardates), and varied their references within this general range.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, didn't ya hear the guy in the temporal chamber when he spoke? I think it's the "Vulcan" (Soval?) who also played a cop in "Alien Nation."

Except he's a time-traveling Romulan. heehee...

~ Jason

p.s. - Ryan, you raise some valid points in defense of the show - but can't they show us what we'd like/expect to see, at least ONCE...? =P

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Capt_Spencer ]

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't we ask the producers exactly how they dressed the future guy, and what makeup he was wearing when they filmed that scene?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because they probably wouldnt tell us...

The Future Guy was played by James Horan, a veteran of several previous Trek productions (Jo'Bril, Barnaby, some Jem Hadar.. whatever) etc.. It was his voice too

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Boris
Member # 713

We'll know before we know who the FG is, count on it. Someone will talk.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He also played the first really cool badguy on Highlander ... Grayson.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps