Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Big "What happpened to the aliens?" Challenge (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Big "What happpened to the aliens?" Challenge
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really recall what the guy in BB looked like, but I don't recall that he looked like a turtle. And the Rigellians from TMP definitely looked like turtles.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Rigellians supposed to resemble the Vulcans more than a "saber-toothed turtle?" I thought that "Journey to Babel" and "Inter Arma Silen Leges" established the Vulcans, Romulans, and Rigellians to all have a similar physiology?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At last count there are several inhabited planets in the Rigel system, and more than one has an indigenous population. One is related to Vulcans.. i believe the correlation noted is that they have copper based blood, and can share blood tranfusions/drugs with Vulcans under certain conditions. Doesnt mean they have to look like Vulcans. Just like Dopterains are related to Ferengi by the nature of their four lobed brain, but they only share a few external feature due to the fact that they were transplanted or otherwise diverged from Ferengi evolution long ago.
The turtles from TMP are definitely specified as Rigelians, but may or may not be the Rigelians referred to in TOS.. remember that Hengist fom 'Wolf in the Fold' was Rigelian too, but may have been a human colonist of Rigelian birth. Or he could have been a humanoid and had green blood. and the Kaylar from 'The Cage' was Rigelian of a different planet..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what was in IAESL, but "Journey to Babel" established at least that Vulcans and Rigellians have similar blood, I think.

Bear in mind, of course, that not even the turtles are canonically Rigellians. That's just what the makeup people said they were.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rigelians / Rigellians:

1)Kaylar's people ("The Cage"). Rigel VII
2)Sabre-toothed turtles (TMP).
3)Vulcanoids (IASL, "Journey.."). Rigel V
4)"Broken Bow" Rigelian dancing girls (according 5)to script, IIRC). Rigel X
6)"Broken Bow" Little man. Rigel X

Wow...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... Yeah, I remember that list of four-lobed brained species that the Betazoids couldn't read. I don't see issues with completely different species sharing a similar brain structure. But with the correlation between Vulcans and Rigellians, they use the same copper-based blood and both their bodies have the same reaction to a specific type of medication and medical condition. That, in my mind, points to a similar physiological structure than three species with the same brain construction. Of course, my grasp on the medical sciences is not all that firm.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
...Of course, my grasp on the medical sciences is not all that firm.

And neither is that of the staff who write these shows.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that Dopterians were specifically related to the Ferengi was the plot point which allowed Odo to catch the pickpocket..
It was established that the races were offshoots of each other, not just similarly evolved.
I think the (vulcanoid) Rigellians could look quite different from Vulcans but still fulfill the qualities spelled out by 'Journey to Babel' and 'IAESL'

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my head, the vulcanoid Rigel(l)ians are shiny blue-skinned Vulcans .

I assume these Rigelians are either an old colony of the Vulcans (remember Spock calling it the "Rigel colonies", but also remember T'Pol's silence regarding Rigel).
Or the vulcanoid Rigelians are another decendant of Sargon's people.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, there was that pointy-eared bald guy in ST4 working at Command...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

This alien?

That would be an Arkenite, according to some make-up/costume department or behind-the-scenes book.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps