Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$$ Klingon Ship "Unexpected" $$$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: $$$$ Klingon Ship "Unexpected" $$$$
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really doubt that's the case, Hobbes, since T'Pol said it was a Klingon battlecruiser and they spoke to the Klingons on that ship and referred to it as a Klingon ship numerous times. Either they didn't have the time/personnel/money to come up with a new ship or someone in the special effects department got lazy.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am almost afraid to hear what Bernd has to say on this topic.

*censored*

I haven't seen "Unexpected" yet, but this seems to be exactly the kind of bad continuity that I always anticipated. They had plenty of time to design something fitting instead of the Akiraprise, they knew that the Klingons would need an old ship, but they didn't care. I will ignore the D-7/K't'inga, as I'm ignoring the Akiraprise.

Is it true that they get even holotechnology in this episode? Will I have to ignore that too?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd,

Why don't you just put your hands over your eyes, don't watch Enterprise, and scream "it's not real! It's all a dream!"

Actually, it makes sense for the Klingons to fly something exactly like what they flew in TOS -- they've been known for keeping their starship design for centuries -- look at the Bird of Prey. You're so ticked at Enterprise as a series you like to ignore continuity: namely, that Klingons like to fly old designs for a VERY VERY VERY LONG TIME. It doesn't exactly violate what we know of Klingons for them to design a battleship, then (because the design clearly works) continue flying them for decades and centuries. Add to that the fact that the Klingons have apparently had more access to space over the last century or so, and thus, more experience and probably better advancements then Earth, and it makes perfect sense.

They get *a* holotech device. I don't think they've got a way to program it, since they have to give the aliens a topographical scan of Quo'nos, it doesn't look like they've got the power to program it -- thus, once the ship blows up, they lose the tech. Anyway, did we ever learn the Klingons *didn't* get holo-tech before Earth/UFP?

But, no, you just go and ignore whatever you want. Go on.

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If bad continuity is defined as defying your unfounded expectations, then you must be a very bored person.

One more time: there is NO continuity error with the Enterprise, and there is no continuity error with the Klingons using this shape of vessel. There is further no continuity error with aliens never mentioned again having basic holotech.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, the decision to reuse the existing Klingon design again shows a disappointing lack of innovativeness and guts. The same as with some aspects of the NX-01 design. It's a new show, so it has the excuse to show new things - so why doesn't it?

Of course, the D-7 design is a classic, well associated with the Klingons even by the greater audience. TPTB probably deliberately chose it for that very reason, not because they wanted to spare the time and money a new ship would have taken.

I do hope we see at least SOME new designs in addition to this, though. Conversely, now that we're stuck with this one, we could just as well have other existing designs reappear, to reinforce the idea that Klingon designs can be very long-lived.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had this horrible image of a large fleet of retro-designed Excelsiors, Mirandas, Defiants and Galaxies attacking a large retro-designed fleet of Klingon D7's. *shudder*

I can come to peace with a 22nd century D7, but what about the Klingon 'Warbirds' mentioned by Ambassador Soval? I was under the impression that *those* where the Empire's main ship.
Was there any evidence to suggest that the D7 was in any way special (prototype, most powerful ship, etc.)?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or perhaps the D7 (or whatever it's supposed to be) is also called a "warbird".
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a continuity issue. Drop the buzzword people.

It's a creativity and originality issue. The Akiraprize is unoriginal, using the D7 where something else would've been more appropriate is uncreative. Bringing in holotech for no reason whatsoever is just bad writing.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Colonel Lovok
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frogive me, but this continuity bullsh*t is really getting old. The term "beating a dead horse" comes to mind. If you think you can do a better job at "maintaining the continuity of a televsion series 30+ years old, then by all means, get a degree in the entertainment industry and start your own series. We'll see how good your "continuity" is thirty years from now.

These are the type of posts that have pushed me and others further and further away from these forums. It's a television show. It's also money.

IP: Logged
HappyTarget
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for HappyTarget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you naysayers seem to forget is that Klingons are notoriously uncreative in their ship design. The D7/Kitinga lasted from TOS to DS9 for cripes sake. They obviously believe in the addage if it aint broke don't fix it. If the design works, why change it. Just give it better weapons and updated systems.

--------------------
Jack O'Neal - I like their style. Shoot first, send flowers later.

Todd Flanders - Ow, my fricken ears!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deep Space Nine had the scaling issues and class of the Defiant as debates. Voyager had ranges of Delta quadrant species and the location of the Beta quadrant as debates. Looks like Enterprise is going to follow the tradition and be plagued by the "Enterprise's design is unoriginal" debate.

Is it unoriginal to reuse the D7 model in "Unexpected?" If you're looking at it from strictly a technical standpoint, possibly. Might lean that way more if the resources were available to create a new model. If you look at it from the point of inside the Trek universe, I don't think it is an issue of originality or laziness at all. Klingons have a few classes of ships that seem to be used (although heavily modified) for years. The K'tingas in "Way of the Warrior" fired beam weapons from what's traditionally a torpedo port, afterall. The design of this particular ship is simple yet elegant. It doesn't strike me as odd at all that the Klingons could be using the basic design for centuries.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

That picture reminds of something I noticed in "Unexpected" about the hull of the Klingon ship. The scene where I noticed this was when the Klingon ship fires charges and finds the alien vessel hiding in its wake. The Klingon's hull has this interesting "feathering" technique using a dark gray color and a shiny silver color. The effect reminds me of a metal plate that's been sanded in a few different directions and then angling that plate obliquely to a light source. A really interesting effect, I thought.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's why they went to all the trouble to build that model for Voyager...
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have a damn right to be critical and have certain expectations. I will continue complaining about blatant mistakes and lacking creativity. I have given Enterprise a chance. I have enjoyed at least "Broken Bow" and "Fight or Flight" despite the Akiraprise. But the Akiraprise seems to be only the beginning of a chain of *avoidable* slaps into the faces of loyal fans.

But is it really me who has a problem? The continuity problems of Enterprise are much worse than anything in Voyager. They are similar to the 78 decks in "Star Trek V". I think rather those who make up explanations for something like that and bend continuity to a degree where it's simply laughable have a problem.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps