Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$$ Klingon Ship "Unexpected" $$$$ (Page 5)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: $$$$ Klingon Ship "Unexpected" $$$$
ASDB_J
Member # 312

- posted      Profile for ASDB_J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But (for some reason), if there is one thing I can NOT stand, it is historical revisionism. Take that as you like it, for this is obviously all fiction, of course. ^_^ I believe that these techie Trek fans have a right to be upset, for as long as it may last (even as long as Dixon, apparently), because they do revise quite a bit - the Eugenics Wars being a prime example.

They may not be blatantly contradicting what was established with this whole Klingon issue, but (in my opinion) it's going against the built-up "feeling" of what things were like in the mid 22nd century. Some people didn't have a preconception. I, for one, never went into too much detail. But even the feeling is in direct conflict with what we've seen the past month on the air.

Like I said before, I'll still watch "Enterprise." But it is decidedly for entertainment value only, not for incorporation. It's my choice to make, and every fan must make their own decision likewise, if they already haven't. I can keep it all separate from previous Trek, it's not like being in my own little world is a new thing with me. ;-)

Fans were upset before because a decade's worth of self-created material was chucked out the window when they revived Trek, proper. Now, they have several hundred hours of material to base things on, not just 70-something hours. It just doesn't feel right. I, for one, loved DS9 as much, if not MORE than TNG. I taped nearly every episode of Voyager, too. I am one of the fans of all 4 series, so, for me to be taking this continued stance on "Enterprise" has got to be saying something.

For what it's worth, I've been trying *not* to read about what's going on with the next movie. Like SW Ep. II, I want to be surprised when I go into the theatres. I can only *hope* that the entire Star Trek franchise doesn't turn "south of cheese." I love each and every of the previous Star Trek films (yes, even 1 & 5, to slightly lesser degrees - come on, I think a Special-edition VFX makeover for 5 would help a bit, don't you?), and would really hate to have to watch ST:10 in the same way as "Enterprise" - for entertainment at the time of watching, only; not for personal canon.

Still, we know the Ent-D/E crew, they've been good to us so far. I've heard rumours ranging from Voyager cast coming aboard, to tying in "Enterprise," so who knows what it'll turn out like...? Like "Enterprise," I shall reserve judgement until I see it for myself. I just hope I'm less disappointed, this time around.

~ Jason

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But (for some reason), if there is one thing I can NOT stand, it is historical revisionism.

The history of Star Trek has always been one of revision, though. The Original Series never really had a specific date in mind as to when Captain Kirk was in command of the Enterprise. To go from examples that Ryan mentioned, some say around 2210 for his command and others say as late as 2290 or so. In episodes themselves, they flucuated between being 200 and 300 years in the future from the production dates. Then Okuda came along and gave a specific date, and that has been modified a bit by Voyager. Okuda's invalidated a lot of earlier work done by fans.

quote:
I believe that these techie Trek fans have a right to be upset, for as long as it may last (even as long as Dixon, apparently), because they do revise quite a bit - the Eugenics Wars being a prime example.

Everyone has the right to be upset when they don't like something. If the writing on Enterprise of the characters were bland, I'd be upset, too. The difference is that I know that my dislike would be the result of the show going against my personal tastes. That hypothetical situation is analagous to the "problem" of the Enterprise's design to the technical crowd. The design goes against what they thought a ship should look like for the time period or what others had said they looked like in non-canon and fandom works. Since we've only seen one ship from the period, the Daedalus, one cannot say that this is a fact. It's an opinion. But a lot of people are carrying on that the design is a continuity violation when there isn't one shred of evidence to support that.

quote:
Like I said before, I'll still watch "Enterprise." But it is decidedly for entertainment value only, not for incorporation. It's my choice to make, and every fan must make their own decision likewise, if they already haven't.

And that is every fan's perrogative. Anyone watching the show can deem whatever parts they don't like to be non-canon. Roddenberry himself decanonized The Animated Series and parts of The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country because he didn't like them. That was his personal decision, but most of fandom does accept them wholesale. However, this is becoming a problem because some people who choose to excise Enterprise from their personal scripture of canonicity are doing nothing more than showing up in message boards, throwing insults, and then leaving. It's essentially becoming similar to the three-year-old throwing a fit because his parents wouldn't buy him a candy bar.

quote:
Fans were upset before because a decade's worth of self-created material was chucked out the window when they revived Trek, proper. Now, they have several hundred hours of material to base things on, not just 70-something hours.

Right, fans were upset because the had built a softball field on an empty lot and here comes the city parks department to build one up to code. The hard work they poured into their projects is suddenly in jeopardy because Trek has decided to thoroughly examine this period. However, anyone who does work for Trek cannot realistically expect his or her work to stand up to the test of time and be regarding as the truth of Trek. The only people who can really have an honest expectation of such are those working for Star Trek. And, even then, if the story is vague enough, the writers can change even that.

Enterprise does have a lot riding on it. There are nearly six hundred hours worth of Star Trek out there that Enterprise has to adhere to. In my opinion, Enterprise is doing fine in this regard. The possibility always exists for that to change since it can be assumed that Enterprise will last six and a half more seasons. On the plus side of this, the executive producers have had a hand in just about all of modern Trek. Mike Okuda is still onboard offering his opinions; he certainly doesn't seem to be upset that his opinion of Klingon first contact is not contrary to canon. Braga admitted that he and Berman have been watching The Original Series to understand that facet of the Trek universe. Minor screw-ups are bound to happen. Ron Moore, an admitted lifelong fan of Trek, fudged the date for the Eugenics Wars in one of his DS9 scripts. It's bound to happen to anyone. If it makes a regular habit of major snafus, then is the time for fandom to take some action.

quote:
Still, we know the Ent-D/E crew, they've been good to us so far.

And there were lots of people that hated The Next Generation from the get-go. Fortunately, a lot of those people decided to go ahead and give TNG a chance to prove itself. What do you know, quite a few of them actually became TNG fans and could recouncil themselves to accept it and fine out that things weren't as changed as much as they thought. We're having the same situation here with Enterprise. The only difference is we have a while to wait until we find out if Enterprise really is worth it.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really have anything to add, but I did want to reiterate that I fully respect anyone's right to hold any opinion regarding Enterprise, and more importantly, I respect all of the people who hold said opinions.

As I've mentioned before, I abandoned Voyager after about three and a half seasons because I found myself hating literally every character and half of the plots... well, I actually liked the Doctor half the time, but nobody else. I would be quite a hypocrite if I actually blamed anyone for holding a negative opinion about Enterprise... but debate is always entertainment, as long as nobody gets offended. We can (and will, I'm sure) argue about continuity and originality and plot and characters for fun.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very glad, Ryan, to hear that you respect the right of anyone to express dissenting opinions. That's not true over at the Trek BBS, where anyone who complains in the least about Enterprise is automatically slammed by Enterprise loyalists as a whinger, a basher, or (horror!) not a real Star Trek fan. That board seems to be completely polarized into those labeled "gushers" (uncritical acceptance of Enterprise and given to contortionist rationalization) and those labeled as bashers (as above). Moderators are constantly wading in to remind posters not to bash someone just because they hold a contrary opinion. The rountine is tiring: somebody points out a problem with Enterprise, a defender tells him to shut up and just enjoy the show, the critic calls him an immature apologist (or something similar), the defender says either stop complaining or stop watching, "Get a Life," everyone likes it but you, etc.

It reminds me of conflict between hardhats and hippies (to overly simplify things) from the 60s. Anyone who found fault with US involvement in Vietnam was labeled a pinko or commie and told to either love America or leave it. Those who agreed with the US's support of anticommunist governments was labeled a fascist or baby killer.

I hope that Star Trek fandom (and this forum) can remain a big tent (to borrow a phrase from the GOP) where fans of any stripe can rationally discuss our mutual object of affection without rancor and character assassination. I hope also that those of you who are fairly happy with Enterprise will understand the motives of us who find fault with it. I criticize from a desire for Star Trek to be the best that it can be and not just entertaining or "good enough."

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading this thread got me curious as to how the NX-01 would look next to a D7 cruiser. I went into PSP and loaded up a top view of the two respective ships and scaled them accordingly (228m for the D7 and 190m(?) for the NX-01). Anyway, it quickly struck me how remarkably close in length the warp nacelles of these two designs are - quite a coincidence. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyone watching the show can deem whatever parts they don't like to be non-canon.

If I get a warning for flaming, so be it. I have no specific ill will towards you, Siggie, but that is complete and utter f*cking bullshit! I am so sick of hearing people say this. THE FANS do not decide what is canon. RODDENBERRY does not decide what is canon. PARAMOUNT decides what is canon. They own Star Trek. They decide what happens to it.

This crap about being able to declare non-canon anything in Trek that you don't like is just that: CRAP.

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evidently, it is not the utter pile of dung that you claim it is. You yourself have said that you consider The Animated Series to be canon. You have also argued for the Okudian reference works to be on the same level of canon as the episodes and movies. Paramount disagrees with you. Paramount considers The Animated Series to be non-canon, and they consider the reference works by Okuda to be semi-canon (that is, right until proven wrong by episodes and movies). Therefore, you are holding items to be canon that Paramount does not.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, not everybody was raised with the idea that storytelling has to be continuous (containing continuity), cohesive, be easily indexed by time and topic, and make a franchise out of it

James Bond has been a spy for fifty years without aging a day. Hes had half a dozen facelifts. Nobody questions it.. hes just 007 and thats it. People are just paying their 7.50, being entertained, and going home. They arent trying to explain why in Bond's eyes the fall of the Berlin Wall occurred a few months after the Cuban Missile Crisis. Its entertainment and escapism, and people are willing to suspend disbelief because its well put together eye candy effects and action sequences, good music and enjoyable dialogue with good acting and character play.

So how come you cant let the guy sitting next to you say 'well, i dont think that Voyager happened the way it did because it didnt make sense' Hes enjoying it.

And Paramount are a bunch of brainless suits who see Star Trek as a cash crop to be raked in. The creative personnel, while not perfect in our eyes (read every thread here about the producers) are trying to keep star trek working. The novelists, the comic book artists have passion for the characters and the look of star trek. I think they have more validity in my eyes than the licensing office.

I try to play the 'continuity' game as much as everyone else here, because i like that a well done universe can be catalogued and analyzed the way i do on my page with star trek. Thats what makes watching Star Trek more fun that watching Mad About You. But i dont try to tell everyone what to think.. Star Trek is OWNED by the person watching and enjoying it.

i think that the Yamato's registry is 1305-E. Thats my prerogative because ive made it my show.

I suggest we move over to the Flameboard now.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too consider the Encyclopedia only canon unless contradicted by an episode or film. I look at it and the chronologies and tech manuals the same way paramount does. I have never tried to say that the Encyclopedia takes precedence over onscreen events.

And as to TAS, I have pointed out before and will point out again that Paramount no longer seems to view TAS as non-canon. DS9 refers to TAS in several episodes. The TAS episode guide is listed right alongside those of TOS, TNG, DS9, VGR, and now ENT on the official Paramount Star Trek website.

So I am not as hypocritical as you would make me out to be.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Really? As I recall, when facts about the Klingon first contact date were revealed this summer, you were one of the ones saying that it violated continuity because the Chronology and Encyclopedia said Klingon First Contact happened in 2218, not 2151.

As for The Animated Series, actually, you are wrong. Just because the episode guides for The Animated Series is on the official Paramount site in no way says that they've changed their stance on TAS. Let's look at the Frequently Asked Questions, shall we?

quote:
As a rule of thumb, the events that take place within the live action episodes and movies are canon, or official Star Trek facts. Story lines, characters, events, stardates, etc. that take place within the fictional novels, the Animated Adventures, and the various comic lines are not canon.

My previous comments still stand. Paramount has allowed the backstory of Spock from TAS to be canon since it fleshes out his character. Ronald D. Moore is a fan of TAS and included small references to little things in his scripts for DS9. Those in and of themselves do not make TAS canon, as the FAQ says above.

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMoM, there's also a reference to Fizzbin as an actual card game as oppossed to one made up by Kirk. It's an in-joke. An obscure refernce. Sure, it's easily explained away to be logical, but the intent remains the same that it was intended only as a throwaway gag line.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*puts fingers in ears and sings off key*
Beeee-yond.. the rim of the starliiight..
Myyyyy love is wandrin' in starfliiight..
Iiiiii know.. he'll find in star-cluster'd reaches..
Straaaaange love... a star-woman teaches..
Iiiiii know.. his journey ends neverrr..
His staaaar trek.. will go on foreverrrr..
Just let him know as he wanders his starry sea..
Remember...
Remember meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Did anyone see 'Unexpected'?! There were Klingons in it!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some pre-TOS Klingon ships I designed earlier this year (before Enterprise aired).
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sfmuseum/klingond5.jpg
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sfmuseum/klingond6.jpg

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, those are lovely, Masao, as we've come to expect. But I must confess I'm grasping for your point here. No one is saying that a new Klingon ship couldn't have been designed. No one is even saying that one shouldn't have been.

What is being said is that the fact that one wasn't does not constitute a crippling blow to internal consistancy. Nor does it represent, in my opinion, any fundamental lack of imagination.

I had the opportunity to watch this episode with some decidedly casual fans this past Saturday. They haven't studied the press releases. They haven't bought the magazines or visited the websites or read the interviews. They've watched Star Trek in no particular order and with no particular concern for overarching plots. And when a Klingon ship they could recognize showed up, they were suddenly gifted with dramatic insight. They knew something the characters didn't. They enjoyed a basic element of drama.

Would I personally have prefered a new old design? Yes. But what does that change?

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

No point really, except to show that a new-old Klingon ship could easily have been designed and been easily recognized by viewers as a Klingon ship. I also wanted to show off my ship.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps