Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Spoilers -- Upcoming Episode "Dear Doctor" $$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spoilers -- Upcoming Episode "Dear Doctor" $$$
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem I see is that Quark seemed to think that the Ferengi got warp drive after humans did. In "Little Green Men" he said, "...we'll have warp drive centuries before Humans, or klingons, or even the Vulcans."

He was talking about that being the outcome of changing the timeline, which would imply that in the "real" time line, Ferengi developed warp drive (or bought warp drive) after Humans.

So if the Ferengi don't have warp drive yet, how could they be out hub-bubbing with other species?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all we know, the Ferengi developed (or bought) warp drive just a month after humans did. If they bought it, they may have bought a highly advanced and very fast warp drive. Faster than the NX-01 even. If this is the case, even though the Ferengi may have bought warp drive 50 years after Humans developed it, they may have covered more ground because they had the faster ships.
IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Little Green Men" canonically states that the Ferengi did indeed buy warp drive. Robert Hewitt Wolfe and Ira Stephen Behr further speculated that it was the Breen who sold it to them (with the implication given that it was a long time ago) in "Legends of the Ferengi."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quark's comment needn't mean the Ferengi got warp after humans. He's just happy because they're going to have it "centuries before" us. Before, maybe they only got it fifty years before us, so they weren't too far ahead of us. With an extra couple hundred years, they could advance far beyond us.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alternately, the Ferengi could have bought a full-meal-deal warp-7 capable drive only about ten years before "Broken Bow" and instantly gone from far behind to way ahead of the humans.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree.. that comment does nothing to date the origin of Ferengi interstallar travel.

If Quark had sold warp drive to the Ferengi in 1947, they would have warp drive before anybody.

He wasnt saying they didnt get until after them originally, hes just stating the outcome of an action.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And even if a future ENT episode reveals that Vulcans in fact had warp before 1947, we can twist Quark's words easily enough. He had just found out from Rom that he knew how they ended up in the past, and that the ship could be repaired. He could have been planning on moving even further back in time, so that he could indeed give (sell!) the warp drive to the Ferengi centuries before anybody else on that short list of species had it.

Timo Saloniemi

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this "Quark Speculation" takes it for granted that he was successful in changing the timeline! Which, I'm not entirely sure he was.

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
By the way, working off a 6-day week, an 8-day shoot per episode, and a shooting start of "Favorite Son" either on Sept 24 or 25, "Dear Doctor" is most likely episode 12 and will wrap at the end of this week.

We also should expect a formal announcement of an extended pickup from UPN beyond the initial 13-episode commitment in the next few days, as they've basically gotta get the money lined up for episode 14 by the time episode 13's on the soundstages.

Drat! Foiled! It appears "Dear Doctor" is episode 13, and that the powers that be are a few days ahead of where I reckoned they'd be.

This does mean that as of today, Oct 24, Enterprise simply must have been given a production extension. Ep 14 will shoot (or is shooting) any day now. Its budget must've been drawn up. Money must've been handed out. It would appear that the Hollywood newswires just aren't reporting the pickup (which was all-but-assured anyway, but would be nice to hear about nonetheless.)

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It shows a few things, having "Enterprise" mention the Ferengi.

1. The PTB - Aka B&B are soo keen to have 'fan' support that they are trying to appease them with the 'continuity' situation. They do it the wrong way though - by mentioning the Ferengi. This wouldn't have happend on DS9. On DS9, most pre 2264 mentions of Ferengi were acceptable - usually only a few years earlier to fit in with early TNG. But TWO CENTURIES earlier... that's just laziness, or maybe even disdane for the fans. Why not mention a TOS race instead.

2. Maybe they are lining up potential Ferengi episodes to make use of all the prosthetic heads that I'm sure Mr Westmore has lying around his studio.

3. It shows the difference between the TNG production team and the ENT production team. I was reading in the Compendium I think, that for the episode Tapestry, they were gonna put a Ferengi in as a bar tender at the Bonestall Rec Facility - when someone (I can't remember) chimed in an reminded them of the fact that the Federation hadn't MET the Ferengi at this time - so they put another alien in there.

4. They are always going on about them keeping on meeting the same old races. So, what have we got now that was continually shown in the last 3 Treks? Klingons, Vulcans and Ferengi. (Oh My) ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
The PTB - Aka B&B are soo keen to have 'fan' support that they are trying to appease them with the 'continuity' situation. They do it the wrong way though - by mentioning the Ferengi. This wouldn't have happend on DS9.

Ah yes, DS9, the show where the Eugenics Wars happened in the 2170s. The show where O'Brien joined Starfleet 22 years ago... despite being said to have joined Starfleet 22 years ago a few years prior in TNG. The show where the Setlik III incident moved to 2363. I love Deep Space Nine second only to the original series, but it wasn't immune from continuity errors.

quote:
that's just laziness, or maybe even disdane for the fans.

Does anyone really believe that the producers have disdain for the people that put food on their tables? Come on now. Maybe they just have disdain for the people who expect them to be flawless and only give exactly what is wanted in exactly the form requested. Smear campaigns aren't exactly going to endear the producers to any fans they have disdain for, are they?

quote:
Why not mention a TOS race instead.

Um, "The Andorian Incident," anyone? A whole episode is far better than a mere mention.

quote:
Origianlly posted by AndrewR:
They are always going on about them keeping on meeting the same old races. So, what have we got now that was continually shown in the last 3 Treks? Klingons, Vulcans and Ferengi. (Oh My) ;o)

They aren't (as of current rumors) going to show the Ferengi. They are going to mention them once, to the confusion of the humans and Vulcan that hear the name. Keep digging.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely don't think this is a case of the producers showing disdain for the fans or that it is a sign of laxiness. Rather, I think this is a case of them trying to appeal to both TOS fans and TNG+ fans. I mean, fans of TOS can recognize the references to the Axanar from "Fight of Flight" and now we're going to have an entire episode dedicated to the Andorians in "The Andorian Incident." The TNG era fans are going to recognize the makeup technique of Klingons (as the fans of TOS movies will) and a throwaway line to the Ferengi.

Also, as Ryan pointed out, we are not going to be seeing the Ferengi. There is going to be a mention of this species' name and it will not register with the humans or T'Pol. It would seem that the Ferengi are a newly met race to the guest alien species in "Dear Doctor," anyway. This is likely something that will go into Starfleet's file of stuff that they heard about in passing but probably won't follow up on (the same file the Borg were in from the late 23rd century to TNG's "Q-Who").

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siggy,

Sometimes you're so insightful I forget you like to prance around in pink bikini underwear and paste Liz's face on your body.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm... no comment on the pink bikini underwear.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps