Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$$A question on Qonos$$$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$$A question on Qonos$$$$
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have seen two day time shots of Qonos. Both show a city high in the mountains surrounded by ice and reached by a bridge over a chasm.

In later Star Trek, we see just a city with little or no surrounding geological features. The city experiences thunderstorms and rainstorms constantly.

Could this change in the first city, aka Qonos, be attributed to the destruction of Praxis in 2293?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simpler explanation: the capital moved.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ENT capital reminds me of the old Boreth monastery. Also in the chilly mountains.

Maybe at this point the smoothies control parts of the lowlands (smooth Klingons - smooth land; ridged Klingons - mountains!?)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could also be that the planet has multiple locations acceptable for receiving alien visitors. The city of ENT might not be the actual capital city. However, the explicit reference to the High Council in "Unexpected" seems to establish that the chambers we saw really were the High Council ones, just like TNG nails down the very different Great Hall there as the High Council chambers.

So perhaps the capital did move. Or then it simply expanded to the lowlands. Perhaps there are mountains to three directions and a river valley to a fourth, and the TNG Great Hall simply looks the best when viewed from the direction of the mountains towards the river.

Or then we're seeing a somewhat factionalized Klingon society here, and there are actually several capitals there - but the one on the mountains does not belong to the faction that will emerge victorious in later wars.

Since Klingons rarely settle for half-measures, the said wars could of course also have leveled those mountains...

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The city in ENT seems to be another one, since the one in TNG was completely flat (well, unless the view in TNG was from the mountain to the plains). I assume the capital moved after the Praxis disaster.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering about this question during "Broken Bow"... but we are talking about a difference of about three hundred years, right? Cities can change a heck of a lot in three hundred years.

It's mostly the apparent weather in these areas that makes me think it's two different places though. The TNG capital city, as has been mentioned, doesn't seem to be in a winter wonderland like the ENT capital does.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it should be noted first off that Picard calls the Klingon Capital the "First Imperial City" in 'Sins of the Father', I believe.

Do we ever specificly learn that the Chancellor is *in* the capitol? From what we learn, the Klingon Empire is facing a civil-war, and already has lots of infighting between Houses to deal with. It would make sense to move the seat of government as a precaution ... assuming, of course, that the Great Hall hasn't been destroyed!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the location of the seat of power could change drastically in 200 years. 200 years ago Washington & New York hadnt even been built. And the mayors of Hiroshima & Nagasaki had a different office than they do now.

as to the inference that the climate of Kronos was changed by the Praxis explosion.. jeeze guys, you know what. Where I live it rains a lot for a while, then it snows for a few months, then its rains some more and then its sunny and unbearably hot for a few months. Sometimes it gets unbearably hot for a few days between rainstorms. Sometimes it doesnt snow when its 'supposed to' All in the same place. And i checked.. its not the result of a catastrophe like the moon exploding .. theyre called seasons. Im sure Kronos had seasons where it snows someplaces and rains others. And there are even other places north and south of me that have different weather. Ive been told there are even deserts, right on this same planet as ice caps!

The only planets that lack seasons or varied climates are Tattooine, Endor and Hoth. Dont start thinking that Kronos has to be a Star Wars planet.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
200 years ago Washington & New York hadnt even been built

Ummmmmmm ... New York has been around for centuries. Used to be known as "New Amsterdam." Sure, it doesn't look like it does today, but it was there. And if D.C. hadn't been built 200 years ago, construction was about to begin ... the British burned it down during the War of 1812.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[clarify]two important seats of planetary government, the United Nations and The American Capitol, hadnt been built. Unfair for me to generalize the buildings as sole inhabitants of the cities[/clarify]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh people...wasn't there something said earlier about the Klingons being on the brink of a civil war? In terms of Klingons, I would bet the scene of the high mountain fortress has more to do with being a strong hold than a capital.

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: bear ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Even old New York / was once New Amsterdam / Why they changed it I can't say / People just liked it better that way."

Sorry. Had to say it. :-)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN...you read my mind

Captain Mike: Nobody likes a smart ass weather forecaster...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I was actually thinking about the Praxis explosion in relations to the Klingon capital, too!

I think it's possible that when Praxis exploded, the capital was facing the moon. Given the intensity of the explosion, I think the resulting planet quake would have shaken the mountain top capital into the valley. Remember the inverse square law. If that subspace shockwave could toss the Excelsior around, which was a couple light years away, imagine what it could have done at practically point-blank range.

I think the only thing that saved the Klingons that day was the nature of their Empire. Where as a normal empire's home system would be the most developed and important, the Klingons at least had equally developed smaller systems owned by the various Houses to fall back on.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...assuming subspace shock waves adhere to Newtonian physics.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps