Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Ep. 106 Terra Nova $$$$$$poiler$$$$$$

Author Topic: Ep. 106 Terra Nova $$$$$$poiler$$$$$$
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this one comes to me as a bit of surprise.

http://www.treknation.com/episodes/season1/terra_nova.shtml

It seems that our crew of the NX-01 Enterprise isn't the first band of human to trek outside their solar system.

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the second season TNG episode with all the clones in it. When was the Mariposa launched?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20 or 30 years before Enterprise, IIRC.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of humans have been outside the solar system.. just not very fast.
Travis Mayweather spent hs whole life popping around starsystems a few years each trip.

The Mariposa was launched in 2124.. logged along with it were dozens of slower, less ambitious missions than enterprise.

The Valiant got all the way to the galactic barrier before enterprise(probably through what im going to call a 'Rigel conduit' of improbable speed)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the NX-01 crew is definitely not the first to get out.

A short early spaceflight history:

The DY-100 (by Yoyodyne?) class was designed in the early 1990s, but for some strange reason they never really became a success-story.

According to "The Terratin Incident" (TAS), Earth launched ten 'Space Arks', named Terra 1 to Terra 10. The tenth generation ship was launched around 2069.

The S.S. Mariposa (an old 'Y-500 class, as Mayweather calls them) was launched in 2123, and was one of the last of it's class. Probably also one of the last of the one-way colony ships.

The 'Terra Nova' colony ship was launched 'more than 70 years ago', says the episode promo. That's earlier than 2081. No inconsistencies anywhere, just a nice acknowledgment of some TOS/TNG backstories.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking forward to it.. The story sounds interesting.

What is the timeline for the launch of the Botany Bay?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was launched in the late 1990's (96 if I recall correctly) according to Space Seed and WoK...

There's also a model of the DY-100 in Rain Robinson's office in "Future's End" VOY

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I remember that episode...what a cute white thing...the model not the actress. Anyway, so we are launching slow speeding ships out to colonize other M-Class worlds from the 1990's to the 2150's? This reminds me of a Fox sci-fi series called Space Above and Beyond. Interesting...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

My vote is for the actress....

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall correctly, the ships in "Space: Above and Beyond" used a vast network of naturally occuring wormholes to move through interstellar distances. The ships themselves were not capable of faster-than-light flight. One could only imagine exactly why so many wormholes were within a close enough proximity to Earth so that they can be used though.....

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps