Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » unexpected questions $$$$

Author Topic: unexpected questions $$$$
TorgaDaxIV
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for TorgaDaxIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if this is the first knowledge of holodecks, why does it not show up again until TNG? besides the fact that TOS didnt have the special effects that we have today, i dont see a good reason for holodecks showing up on Enterprise when we skipped seeing them for a whole generation (kirk and co.). anyone have any clue on this?

also, in the opening credits, the ship we see 3rd to last i believe, where it looks like a missile sort of and it has wings that extend out, is that the ship zephram cochrane used to break the warp barrier?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the episode implies that Enterprise didn't get the holography technology. The Klingons got a couple of simulators in exchange for not destroying the Enterprise and the alien vessel. But I don't recall there being any mention of the humans getting a simulator or two. Depending on what you consider canon, an episode of The Animated Series featured a large holography recreation room on the original Enterprise.

I think I know the ship you're talking about. It's the Phoenix, which is the vessel Cochrane did break the warp barrier in. It was a reuse of footage from Star Trek: First Contact.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting, my take on it. I say TAS is canon, so I don't have a problem with holographic technology showing up, but I don't like that the KLINGONS got it. In TOS, it was established that the Klingons' ships were not equipped with luxuries and recreation facilities. While not specifically mentioned, I think Holodecks would be among these. Why else would the Klingons have wanted to use the K-7 facility for shore leave?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing in "Unexpected" suggested that the Klingons wanted to integrate the hoographic equipment into their ships. They could have simply taken it back to Kronos.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed. I thought they spared the Enterprise and the alien ship for a chance to see their homes again.

I could be wrong... but that's all they go outta that.

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder where the Xyrillian engineers got the detailed visual data from Qonos. Did the Klingons have postcards lying around from the Capitol?

"I went to Qonos and all I got whas this lousy T-Shirt!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Klingon Captain gave the alien dude a chip that had a "topographic scan" or something of the capital city.

It's also possible that, while the Klingons got the holo technology, they weren't able to figure out how to use it, change it, or integrate it for a good long while.

If someone handed me a brand new PC, I could turn it on, turn it off, and figure out how to run the programs it came with, but it would take me a long time to figure out how to open it up and figure out how to make more of them, or link it to a network. And I'd probably break it in the process.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I'm willing to put aside minor continuity flaws, mostly just dates of when the transporter invented or first contact with the Klingons. But if Enterprise starts developing holotech that will really piss me off because unlike other dates, TNG make it very clear the technology was brand new.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also wondering why the klingons didn't want the cloaking technology instead of the hologragh tech. It would make more sense that a warlike people would see the benefit of this over the holodeck.
Paul

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who knows. Maybe they don't like the idea of sneaking around at this point.

Besides, cloaking tech seems more fitting for the Romulans because of their deceitful and secretive nature. The Klingons OTOH are proud warriors and maybe they didn't see any honor in tech for hiding and spying yet.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sneaky or not I find it hard to believe they would give up this technology. Even if they didn't use, it to stay honourable, they would still need to understand it in order to be able to counteract it in battle. Later on in TOS they gave up the plans for their best battleship in order to obtain the technology.
Someone should have killed the commander and took control of the ship for that blunder.
Paul

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they did.

I'm just piping up and pointing out that what we're all calling a cloaking device was only referred to as "stealth technology" on Enterprise. It could have shared more in common with the primitive "masking circuitry" or whatever it was that the Kazon Nistrim had in "State of Flux" than a cloaking device in the Balance-of-Terror sense.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps