Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Mother Knows Best (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mother Knows Best
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[i]In "Amok Time", what if Spock had headed back to Vulcan, only to have his fianc�e say "Oh, sorry, I don't hit my next pon farr for six months. Could you just hold that thought...?"?]/i]

That's where the telepathic bonding came into play.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn it, Omega beat me to it.

I was going to suggest that at marriage, the pon farr cycles of the men and women could be synched together since they are telepathically linked. Since we hear over and over again that males go through pon farr every seven years, I'd say that it's possible for the women to adjust their cycle times (not to mention that it'd make them a bit more alien to us).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have no problem with discovering that Vulcan females also have a pon farr-esque mating cycle. After all, Belanna went through pon farr after Vorik got her all crazy in "Blood Fever". What would bother me, though, is if a bunch of information was revealed about it. Doctors in the TOS era and even in the TNG era know virtually nothing about pon farr. To have it be an issue this early on wouldn't be good.

If it's something that is kept strictly between T'Pol, Archer and Phlox...maybe.

$$$$$

I was impressed with how they used the neck pinch in "Strange New World". They snuck it in there, but no one realized what happened. That was good.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eeesh .. i don't wanna get into a battle of sexes here... heheheh.

I think the one thing that we should learn from the differences between Spock and T'Pol is that:

Spock had a greater Tolerance for Human 'Weaknesses'. T'Pol has yet to find that tolerance.

And yes... Vulcans live longer... but they evolve at the same rate, I think.

Even Tuvok was a passionate Vulcan ...

Let's look at it this way.

Take Two Rooms. In one room, you have 20 Vulcans. In the other, you have 10 Vulcans and 10 Humans. Leave them all in that room for 1 week.

After that week, which vulcans do you think are going to be more tolerant. Which vulcans do you think will have the formula to adjust their logic to deal with the emotions of a human?

Up until now, in the Enterprise Time-Line, Vulcan have, shall we say, less experience with dealing with Human Behavior then their Post-Masters. So in a sense, Spock WOULD seem more logical and less frustrated or 'displeased' with living among them.

T'Pol does not have the benefit of that experience .. and she's learning as she goes..

I'm not sure if I've explained my point very clearly - someone help me out here..

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoilers for "Unexpected" and "Broken Bow" $$$

I'd be willing to bet that T'Pol's "condition" would be kept confidential. After all, they did keep Tucker's "condition" a secret until the Klingons forced their hand. When Spock entered pon farr in "Amok Time," I don't think the rest of the crew was ever told the truth about the sidetrip to Vulcan.

On the other hand, The Original Series seemed to imply that Spock was one of the few Vulcans in Starfleet. It's possible that McCoy had little treating or dealing with Vulcans at that point in his career. It's also possible that McCoy may have exhibited the same bitterness towards Vulcans that the navigator in "Corbomite Manuever" and the doctor in "Galileo Seven" did. It was only after working with Spock and warming up to him that he decided to brush up on Vulcan physiology. This could be why McCoy didn't know enough to help Spock in "Amok Time" but did to save Sarek in "Journey to Babel."

I see now that Alshrim slipped in a post as I was posting. Shame on you! Actually, what you say makes sense. Vulcans, and T'Pol in particular, seems to have little experience in dealing with humans. On Earth, she admitted to never leaving the Vulcan Compound. She also admitted that wanted nothing more than to leave Enterprise at the end of "Broken Bow"s mission. Now, she's having to deal with a species she already sees as human but has to work and live alongside the irrational, illogic, and emotional humans. Her tolerance level is going to be fairly low at this point.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed !!!

Sorry for raining on the parade, Siegfried.

--------------------

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would also seem logical that the Vulcans are a very private race and would not readily discuss their conditions unless there was a logical need to do so. And even then once in Pon Far their logic seems to fail them and they become irrational, then they also would not readily discuss their condition. At this early stage it seem that neither race fully trusts the other so it would make discussion of the condition even more unlikely.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If T'Pol does have pon farr during this first season of Enterprise, I have a feeling it will be during sweeps...

And I do agree on the fact that since the TNG-era still had no real info on pon farr that Enterprise should know even less.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I understand what you are saying, Alshrim, but do you hold out any hope for the actress playing T'Pol to convey a quiet, gradual, subtle evolution? As I said before, I just cannot help feel that she is trying to play the type of Vulcan we all know and love, but her acting ability only allows her to mimic that Vulcan engineer on "Voyager," and that Vulcan Captain on "Deep Space Nine."
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Believe it or not, I believe she will. I've been, personally, impressed with the way she's been doing things. I think she's doing exactly what she's being told to do.

Taking what I've said above for granted .. if that is what is happening, then she's playing the part exactly the way she should.

Again - It's just my opinion ... I respectfully reserve the right to be wrong.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too feel almost positive that she'll lighten up a bit after a while. You can't keep writing someone as a raving bitch and expect fans to continue to care about the character. Even Tuvok occastional had hi beakthroughs in humanity.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
On the other hand, The Original Series seemed to imply that Spock was one of the few Vulcans in Starfleet. It's possible that McCoy had little treating or dealing with Vulcans at that point in his career.

Hadn't doctor M'Benga worked in a Vulcan infirmary?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

There is reference to Doctor M'Benga working in a Vulcan infirmary, but I've always taken that to mean that he was stationed planetside on Vulcan or a Vulcan colony. I'm going to have to rewatch the episodes to make certain.

As far as Jolene Blalock is concerned, I've been rather impressed with her and her characterization of T'Pol. I was hesitant at first because I felt that having a model act on a science-fiction show would be a disaster. But really, she's been doing a fairly good job. I think the writers and the directors play up the character's "bitchiness" a bit much, but I think it's being kept within reasonable limits (most of the time at least).

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are definetely problems in the writing and acting. Where the percentages go, however, I cannot say.

The Vulcans have held the Surak philosophy for thousands of years by ENT/TOS/TNG. In two thousand years (not sure about the number), an entire race following a philosophy of uberlogic would find a pretty stable identity as a race.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I think the Vulcan's racial identity is fairly stable. They've always seem to think of themselves as superior to humans; when can point to Spock and his continual commentary on the weakness of human emotions. A couple prime examples are his speech on the Genesis Project from The Wrath of Khan and remarks about V'Ger inheriting human emotions and having to now deal with them. The Original Series episodes frequently ended with a jab at humanity. Of course, I look at these particular examples as light-hearted bantering among friends.

The variation we've seen in attitude of the Vulcans towards humans I chock up to personality differences and exposure. Tuvok, Sarek, and Spock had extensive histories dealing with humans and that reflected quite well. We don't see a constant begrudging of humans from these three like we do with T'Pol. Ambassador Soval in "Broken Bow" seemed more at-ease and cordial with the Starfleet brass than his two aides. He supposedly had been on Earth for a fairly long time.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps