Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Andorian thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Andorian thread
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I hope they show an Andorian with 'locks, like Shar."

I don't know what a "Shar" is, so I'm guessing you mean "dreadlocks"? For some reason, when I first glanced at it, I thought it was supposed to be "bollocks". Perhaps a reference to the "passionate, violent" aspect of the race, which we haven't seen since TOS. :-)

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regards to the Andorian Empire; It could still be around even after the Andorians, or at least a faction of the Andorian race joined the Feds. What if, at some point the Andorians spread out into space, and formed 2 independant governments The violent Andorian Empire and the much more peaceful Andorian Republic. The Republic might have joined the Feds while the Empire ramained an Empire. I know it's all speculation, but I can't imagine that the Anodrians were a prime canidate for Federation membership, especally when they were an extremly violent race before, during, and possibly after the TOS years. It's just a thought.
IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shar is Ensign Thirishar ch'Thane, science officer of DS9 following the end of the Dominion war, from the semi-canonical DS9 novel series started by 'Avatar' (Paramount has given the novels full permission to continue the DS9 story arcs and make drastic changes in the DS9 epoch)

Shar is Andorian, of one of their 'middle'(?) sexes.(hence the lack of 'he' or 'she' when discussing Shar), and has white dreadlocks and looks quite cool (yet disturbingly androgynous). Shar works quite well and often with chief of operations Nog, and is troubled by the requirement that it is necessary to return to Andor to join three others in a marriage as is expected by Andorian society

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grating horn noise*

You are herby fined 10 credits for incorrect usage of the term "semi-canonical."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lacking the appropriate reference stuff at the moment, was it ever confirmed that the Andorians had three sexes, or just that a traditional marriage required three people? Because I can easily imagine "odd" forms of marriage with different numbers of people than two that are, nevertheless, made up of just two genders.
capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Data stated that Andorian marriages require four people

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, four then.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Data specially mention more than 2 sexes? If all we are know is that four people are involved, we cannot assume what the sexes of the people are. There might be, for example, 1 man and 3 women (or 3 men and 1 woman), 2 men and 2 women, 4 people of different sexes, or even 4 people of the same sex. We'vepresumably seen male and female Andorians, but I don't think the existence of other sexes has been established on screen. The rituals and mechanics of reproduction are complicated enough with only 2 sexes! I don't even want to think about 4 sexes, and I have a degree in biology.
capped
Member # 709

Data didnt say exactly why they required four people

The books havent been too clear on it either, expecially on the matter of Shar's sex. Think they were avoiding it simply to make it easier for the writer who gets stuck with explaining it, which should be soon after Shar's mother gave the ultimatum to return to Andor because there are three other people depending on Shar.

I also wonder if the group marriage could just be a ritualistic deal.
They also made a comment about the Andorians having a population problem and being a 'dying' race, probably because of the complexity in their reproduction.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The official Star Trek site has just released new piccies!
The Andorians are *not* small, their big heads just make them look a bit awkward. And the guns... resemble every single Star Trek gun we've seen before. Could be new, could be existing props...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brown hair=evil. Andorians require white feathery "hair." All of them. Even the hawt chix. Yes, because I said so, for I am Sex God. Fear my penile prowess.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
Member # 709

I agree with him...
umm..
about the white hair i mean.. not that other stuff

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure it was never said that the four Andorians in a wedding are all marrying each other. Maybe, traditionally, a couple isn't supposed to get married unless another couple gets married in the same ceremony. Or maybe some of the people aren't even getting married. After all, not counting whoever officiates, traditional marriages around here have four main people: bride, groom, best man, and maid/matron of honor.

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps