Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$$Observations on Vulcan Ships$$$$

Author Topic: $$$$Observations on Vulcan Ships$$$$
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vulcans, like humans, refer to their ships, for the most part, as she. Look at the list of canonical names.

(Surak)
T'Mur
T'Pau
T'Plana'Hath
T'Vran

This combination of letters (T'x) has been conclusively proven to be one of the ways in which female names of this species are given.

The name Surak for ships is very common, both in Starfleet and the Vulcan National Fleets.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, that only proves they name their ship after women (duh!)

Even if a ship is named "George Washington", for example, the crew still refers to the ship as a "she" or "her".

The name of the ship is irrelevent. I mean, hell, three Star Trek series have ships named after a business venture!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, I'm sure Vulcans would do the logical thing and refer to a ship as "it".
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then they want their language to be precise, and have invented a big cascade of genders: male sentient, female sentient, neutered sentient, male nonsentient, female nonsentient, neutered nonsentient, inanimate object named after male sentient, inanimate object named after female sentient, inanimate object named after neutered sentient, inanimate object named after inanimate object... You get the idea.

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.