Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Diversity in alien cultures (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Diversity in alien cultures
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, this is a simple question. Why are all organizaions except for the Federation uniracial? I mean, look at a Klingon ship, and there is nothing but Klingons. Same for Romulans and Cardassions. If these groups were so big, why wouldn't there be multiple types of aliens that are part of their alliance? I mean, if the Federation has 150 member worlds, the Romulans and Klingons have to have at least 200+, and of those 200+, there have to be different aliens then just simple Klingons. The only group I have seen with diversity is the Dominion, but even there, we only see 3 of the races, though we know there are two others only mentioned in one episode. Now, I know that makeup plays a big thing in this, but in the Trek Universe, why is it like this?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the wonderful world of bad writing. At least we have the Son'a.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Blitzwing: "If I want to know what's on your mind, I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself!"

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The federation is an alliance of many different worlds, with many different species. The other empires (Cardassian, Klingon, Romulan) are not, they are comprised of only one species, from one planet, that has colonized many other planets. This is why there are only Klingons on Klingon ships, and so on. There may be other races that these empires have conquered (such as the Bajorans were conquered by the Cardassians), but I think that they would have their rights and freedoms and priveleges limited in some way, they certainly wouldn't be allowed to serve on military vessels.

------------------
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
-Commander Riker, USS Enterprise

IP: Logged
LB4747
Ex-Member

You know, this could have been a great explanation for why TOS Klingons look different from the TNG era Klingons - they weren't true Klingons! They were some other humanoid race conquered by the Klingons a long time ago, and that adopted the traditions and culture of the Klingon Empire until they were fully integrated. Alas, the appearances of Kor, Kang, and Koloth in both eras voids this theory. But you do have a good point; I'd love to see a little more diversity within each of the major powers (though I wonder if the Romulans might be too paranoid to let any other race exist under their power).

------------------
Lawrence Boucher
"The first step to a successful revolution is destroying all competing revolutionaries."

[This message was edited by LB4747 on March 24, 1999.]

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, in Trials and Tribbleations, Bashir asked Worf what happened to the Klingons after seeing a TOS Klingon, and Worf said that they don't talk about it. It could be anything.

------------------
"If it should become necessary to fight, could you arrange to find me some rocks to throw at them"

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the diveristy topic, I thing they simply just have racists attitude about allowing other "inferior" races to join thier "elite" forces.
The Federation practices equality, while the other three practice domaninance.

------------------
I'm the only one who understands me, and I ire of my company.
--Paul Cargile

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OTOH, most of Starfleet is human anyway...

------------------
Blitzwing: "If I want to know what's on your mind, I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself!"

jh
Ex-Member

I don't for sure that we've established that 'most' of Starfleet is human. We've certainly seen more humans but we also have references to all Vulcan ships and Starbases so there are probably all Bolian starbases closer to Bolarus. It just happens that most of our stories and action center around Human crews.

------------------
"A screaming comes across the sky..."

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

MORE BOLIANS!

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Perhaps...although the regular starbases seem to be "human" starbases...

------------------

jh
Ex-Member

I love the Bolians!! The next series should definitely have a regular Bolian character, forget more Klingons or Vulcans. Either a Bolian, Tellerite, or Andorian is my vote!

------------------
"A screaming comes across the sky..."

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any race other than humans may do. BTW: Why are all human-looking people automatically supposed to be humans? There are a lot of races on different planets featured in TOS, TNG and also some in Voyager, that look exactly like humans.

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

grb
Ex-Member

Well, the crews that we've seen have probably been all huamns because we could better realte to them because we are human audiences (mostly human, anyway).

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Klingon foreheads, a lot of interesting theories are exponded upon here:

http://www.sev.com.au/toonzone/sevtrek/klingon/theories.htm

The theory proffered by JStaik1043 seems the most plausible to me.

My personal fave?
(not necessarily the most accurate):

--Baloo

------------------
CONSUMER NOTICE:
Because of the "Uncertainty Principle," It Is Impossible for the Consumer to Find Out at the Same Time Both Precisely Where This Product Is and How Fast It Is Moving.

[This message was edited by Baloo on March 28, 1999.]

Jordan
Ex-Member

My guess is that the various races that the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, etc. have conqured are not as infranchised (sp?) as the Federation cultures....

And, yeah, I do think we could stand a healthly dose of regular UFP alien characters in a Trek series. Even if it's a Bolian. :-)

------------------
Goodnight my love...the brightest star in my sky...

Goodnight...you have been my sky, my sun and my moon...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps